IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

I think I would cry if the game kept crashing on me. Not had a single one since the official release day though. Plenty of crazy glitches of course. Had an entire outpost spawn half in and out of a hillside last night, and the landing pad was in a cave.

The Reddit threads for this have now settled down to the point where I can happily browse them for odd little things people are doing with the game. There's a guy circumnavigating a planet on foot. 30 hours he's been at it, and has just seen his ship icon move to being in front of him.

Yeah, I'm gutted as I really want to be playing it, and I've just landed on the best planet I've seen so far, which has constant rain giving it beautiful green foliage everywhere (Lushtown if anyone comes across it). Oh well, hopefully we'll get another patch soon.

I am probably about 30 hours in (and would love some in game stats). I have finally got the Atlas Pass 1, found the anomaly, and been through my first black hole.

I enjoyed it. Quite a lot. As time passed, I no longer stopped at the smaller sheds, flew past the orange markers and just tried to play through to the next system. Now that I have jumped - I feel it's a good time to take a break until an update comes along. I'm not interested in upgrading my ship, suit or weapons.

I will undoubtedly play again soon, for a few hours of lost fun - but on the whole, my gaming time is going back into Destiny.

I give it a strong 7/10, with huge potential via updates.

Tried again tonight, first time after 1.08. After an hour on a planet with nowt, there's suddenly an anomaly in the system. Excellent, fixed! I'm back on the Atlas Path. I can't quite jump straight to the Atlas system, but I'm one short. One more jump and I end up bouncing off a station at the end of warp. I've warped to the marked Atlas system, but no sign of it. Fire up the map, can no longer filter on Atlas path. I'm done, I don't care if this is a game mechanic or a bug any more, I've got no confidence in it because there's enough doubt to never quite be sure if something is working.

Otherwise, I've seen enough planets for the variety to be waning. Have taken enough screenshots, not interested in this continual ship, tool, and suit upgrade grind. 

Oh well.

Finally found a Sac Venom planet. Wow they are very easy to farm just point & shoot !!

The latest patch though has caused more issues than fixes, the game crashes more for me. I think I am going to take a break from it for now it needs some more work to get it stable.

29 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Finally found a Sac Venom planet. Wow they are very easy to farm just point & shoot !!

The latest patch though has caused more issues than fixes, the game crashes more for me. I think I am going to take a break from it for now it needs some more work to get it stable.

At 24 seconds.

By the way, there seems to be a height cap on the planetary generation. I had a planet full of mesa and tubes and stuff, but they all abruptly ended with flat surfaces, like they'd hit some hidden upper limit. Don't know if it affects all planets or if it was just an edge case of random features plus random height allowed.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

By the way, there seems to be a height cap on the planetary generation. I had a planet full of mesa and tubes and stuff, but they all abruptly ended with flat surfaces, like they'd hit some hidden upper limit. Don't know if it affects all planets or if it was just an edge case of random features plus random height allowed.

NO THERE ISN'T YOU JUST HAVEN'T SEEN THE BIGGER THINGS YET

This thread seems to have really quietened down a lot in the last week. Is this a clear and damning reflection of the game as it stands? Are people burnt out? I'm on about 25 hours game time so this could happen to me.

Do people expect this game to look and feel the same a year from now after further fine tuning and additional features? Do the developers have the skill and inclination to flesh out the games rather hollow feel? I hope so because it does feel really rushed. Despite that I'm still rather hooked for now.

Why do the trading posts have so many damn departure lounge seats and only one NPC standing next to a cashpoint. Some parts of the universe should be desolate, barren isolated places with no chairs or outposts while others need more NCP's, greater game design in a nutshell.

I'm far from burnt out after well over 100 hours, but I seem to be alone in that. I'm still very much addicted to it, and find the gameplay loops almost therapeutic. I play it with no more complex an objective than finding the next pretty screenshot though. I've no interest in reaching the centre, but I'm always interested in seeing the next planet because it might have an interesting looking rock formation or something. I'd like a bigger ship, but only if it looks nice.

Basically if the game is shallow, then I guess I am too. 

As to what the game might become, I think there is vast potential for it, and I'll be interested in whatever they come up with, but actually I'm not that fussed about it becoming the sort of content filled game everyone seems to want. I'd be fine with them just making it even prettier, and tweaking some of the obvious UI shortcomings.

I've not played for a week or two, played probably 40 or 50 hours overall and make it about half way to the center. I was pretty annoyed with it for quite a while before I stopped, but I only really did because of the battlefield beta. Feels a bit like Destiny where you get clean and realise that it was consuming you, but at least with that game I understood why.

52 minutes ago, Lydso76 said:

This thread seems to have really quietened down a lot in the last week. Is this a clear and damning reflection of the game as it stands? Are people burnt out? I'm on about 25 hours game time so this could happen to me.

I'm way past 60 now and am nowhere near bored.

19 minutes ago, macosx said:

How many more light years till you get there?

174000-odd. I've not even attempted to go for the centre yet. I think I might actually be further away than I started.

Yeah I've stopped entering buildings unless it's one with a shop.  I don't bother with space stations or the anomaly.  I don't talk to the aliens.  Being given a stupid blueprint I already have feels like a punishment rather than a reward.  I'd rather not get it.

2 hours ago, Lydso76 said:

Do people expect this game to look and feel the same a year from now after further fine tuning and additional features? Do the developers have the skill and inclination to flesh out the games rather hollow feel? I hope so because it does feel really rushed. Despite that I'm still rather hooked for now.

Why do the trading posts have so many damn departure lounge seats and only one NPC standing next to a cashpoint. Some parts of the universe should be desolate, barren isolated places with no chairs or outposts while others need more NCP's, greater game design in a nutshell.

Most people who were vocal in here but have stopped have played a LOT before getting burnt out.  May your addiction continue unabated for the time being! 

And yeah, no shit. Space is a lot busier than I wanted, which is a big downer for me. 

I've restarted Elite after a year or so away though, so that's something! I wish I could invite everyone of you to my house for an evening or VR Elite.  It's so lovely. 

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th