IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

3 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I said much of a leap forward.  

The thing is, from what I've seen, you can't cavort freely around space, the space flight and star systems are just huge planets right next to each other in a sea of rocks, you're right, the planet generation and movement between in cartoon space to on the surface is impressive, and probably the most impressive thing I've seen in the game.  You can do something similar in Elite although not as seamlessly I understand.

The idea is not original though in my opinion, dev teams have been wanting to do this for thirty years.

Well of course the 'idea' is not original, as evidenced by the insane hype from people who've wanted this kind of thing since games were first invented. The tech that has enabled it to become a reality is the leap forward.

The 'huge planets right next to each other' is a stylistic choice not a limitation of the tech. Once Elite allows you move around as a person rather than a ship and includes more impressive planets than atmosphere-less rocks then I'd agree that it's reached parity. I'd buy the upgrade in a second if it did that, but alas it looks like it's still some way off.

I don't think I've found a bit of tech that I've not already had for an absolute age. Last night I did a cursory system scan and  it found a manufacturing facility, only this one had a green icon and it gave me a new recipe for crafting a worthless power thing...

have they always been green? I can't remember the last one I seen. I thought all icons were red, purple, blue and greyed out when discovered. I was expecting it to be red.

A few snaps from this morning's pre-work session. 

Love my current ship so much :wub: 

1.jpg

Landed on this planet.  The enviornment was a bit rubbish (toxic storms most of the time, and mental Sentinels) but fucking look at this, I've never seens so many creatures! I freaked out a little. 

3.jpg

Parked up shot didn't do it justice.  They were everywhere!! I should've taken a video. 

5.jpg

Ended up on this moody as fuck planet.  Devoid of all life, but temperate, low atmosphere.  Going element hunting should be fun!  It has aluminium, which is handy as I'm low. 

Fed up of Geks though!! I haven't seen the other races in an absolute age. 

8.jpg

I've put about 15-20 hours in and it's starting to wane. The sense of wonder is being replaced by an ever-increasing sense of pure grind beyond merely scratching the resource-gathering itch. It feels as though the game has plateaued.

For those who have completed the Atlus path...

Spoiler

I jumped through the black hole and just found another anomoly with the two guys, who this time only offers me recourses and another black hole towards the centre. I got no reward, not even a cheevo, other than freeing up the 10 inventory spaces. Do I just go towards the centre now to see the "end"?

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I dislike the Gek, just because their monuments make them seem like massive twats. I prefer the Vy'keen, who I've decided are basically Klingons, and the Korvax for sure.

I don't think the gek we meet are the First Spawn that the monuments (that I have seen) talk about. 

There's a few clues like talk about the way they smell.

28 minutes ago, dood said:

That nomanshigh reddit is so lovely, it's basically a stoner NMS board where everyone is positive! :lol:

Look at this beast! I thought the meter tall ones were bad enough.. 

k45abf61upgx.jpg

:lol:

Good old spaghetti legs, never seen one quite so big. Seen them really really small and super agressive.

total cunts in my experience 

8 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

That's not working for me, just gives me a red line on the right hand side of my pics...working for anybody else?

I saw it on reddit so not sure what else to suggest - have you changed the setting on the Share button to immediately take a screenshot instead of opening the menu?  It could be related to that... 

57 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

Well there's something I haven't seen before; that overgrown building interior. 

I found a few yesterday. Derilict and full of plants. And slime.

38 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

There's something about No Man's Sky. Here's a shot I took yesterday from a desolate moon.

FB_IMG_1471868068702.jpg

As I continued to look up, the planet filled the entire screen. I know many take issue with the lack of realism there, but I find images like that awe inspiring. :)

Just to say, I don't find that sort of view bad at all. There are places where you could stand on a moon and have a planet dominate your viewpoint. That's fine. What i don't like is when you can see all six planets in the systems as big plates in your view but admit it is just being fussy about the realism of it, 

4 hours ago, siread said:

Totally agree. They've littered the place with outposts, and every single one of them chucks blueprints at you. You can get them from aliens, boxes on the wall, tech capsules that have seemingly fallen out of the sky, ancient ruins... They should have ditched at least one of those elements because, similar to the farming exploit, you end up with more than you need far too soon and then there is nothing pulling you forwards, urging you to keep going and keep leveling up. The balance is so skewed towards 'easy' it's infuriating, and it would have been such an easy fix.

The game doesn't really understand the value of scarcity. Every element, every planet, every alien is available from the get go. Life is everywhere. Every planet has a minimal set of things, presumably since it can start you anywhere.

It would be much more exciting if the game put limits on you. Imagine if some planets or even systms were absolutely impenetrable at the start, or if you had to chose between which you could pursue? Or if trading posts or space stations or complex life was rare? It'd become much more exciting finding it. Even the alien factions - they could have been used to make section of space closed until you'd befriended some. The game lacks courage that you can generate your own fun, too.

Davis - complex interactions between life on planets would have made the game more interesting and more emergent. As much as you like the game, it just isn't in there in this build.

23 minutes ago, kensei said:

Even the alien factions - they could have been used to make section of space closed until you'd befriended some.

Though I am not on board with this idea specifically, you've just reminded me of how totally pointless the 'standing' attribute is.  I mean, come on.  What the hell.  

Oh now I can ask Mr Gek for some resources instead? Oh 10 carbon, THANKS MATE. 

Or even the actual aliens. They are bareky mkre tha skins.

I'm not really disappointed in the game, I thought it would be a chill out walking sim and it basically is. It's just there is a better game in there, bursting to get out. Something life ending good.

It's not really Nintendo's bag, but I wish they'd have got hold of this instead of Sony, with a focus on learning how to make emergent gameplay fun, so they could apply it to the new Zelda.

1 hour ago, Danster said:

Just to say, I don't find that sort of view bad at all. There are places where you could stand on a moon and have a planet dominate your viewpoint. That's fine. What i don't like is when you can see all six planets in the systems as big plates in your view but admit it is just being fussy about the realism of it, 

Yeah, it’s not so much that this isn’t realistic as it just doesn’t match our experience. I landed on my first moon last night and just stood there watching the planet. I couldn’t stand back far enough to get it into shot. We’ll have some similarly awesome shots if/when we start sending modern devices to moons in our own solar system.

Anyway, I’ve been meaning to reply to Gorf’s post a few pages back, where he says he isn’t an astrophysicist

/raises hand

I guess where we’re falling down a bit with NMS, and the above is a good example, is that we all have enough knowledge of space for this all to require a serious bit of reality suspension. For some, I expect seeing all the planets lined up like a pool table is probably fine, just like they don’t question it in a JJ Abrams film. It’s not too bad or me, it’s probably on the easy end of gameplay balance (compared to the 15 minutes you could spend travelling to a station in ED) – the only bit I struggle with is that there’s no system map, so I don’t even know if I’m seeing all the planets in a system.

What pulls me right out of the illusion, if I stop to think about it, is that bloody day 1 patch note.

“The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger”

Argh.

From all the sources I’ve read, interviews and official blurb, Universe and galaxy are used interchangeably. Obviously, the game chooses galaxy (Euclid). I could hand wave that “Universe = a word to describe the whole thing”, not literally Universe capital U, except they keep using a capital U. And then the rest of the sentence makes a lot more sense if you substitute system for galaxy. So, “Planets have moved… Systems have altered shape (probably planets closer?)… Systems are now up to 10x larger.”

And what of that “we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm”, is that tacit acknowledgement of having to not use the briefly mentioned super formula?

Here’s what I think it probably is:

1.       The NMS team are all hyper intelligent beardy sorts and there’s some cutting edge physics at play (probably fudged, not simulated, which is fine) with string theory, Einstein-Rosen bridges and all sorts. We’ll end up in other galaxies, or there some clever multiverse explanation for the whole thing.

2.       They’ve used a bunch of real terms with a massive smearing of artistic license and we absolutely must disengage over analyzing things like the distance to the center of the galaxy after warps that don’t reduce it like they should

The day 1 patch notes are screaming at the back of my mind to go with 2. And that’s fine, I can totally disengage brain and not sweat about physics. I could blow the dust of ED if I want to do that. I’d love for them to have a Sheldon Cooper tucked away somewhere and it’s option 1, though.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th