IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

36 minutes ago, macosx said:

id disagree with Siread though, the inclusion of that stuff for me, would make it a more enjoyable and immersive game.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see that stuff. Of course I would, it looks awesome. My point is that it isn't "the game". Once you've seen a dozen charging rhinos, herds scattering, birds flocking, then what? If it doesn't mean anything or have any baring on your progress then you're back to talking about oceans and puddles. That's why everyone was asking Sean Murray, "but what's the point, what do you actually DO in the game?" All the early part of that trailer showed was observing, not playing or even interacting. 

Oh and don't tell the Reddit crowd but Heridium is a 'flammable' resource'? They'll say he promised them fireworks.

38 minutes ago, macosx said:

The t-Rex's  with horns animation was so bad as they stomped around I couldn't stay as it was just laughable.

Some of the animation works really well. I posted a video of a space goat a while back, and it moved really naturally. It is weird though how some of the T-Rex ones just kind of stand around. The way they swipe aimlessly at the air in front of them makes it look like they have mental issues.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

the one thing I genuinely do hate about the game - Frenzied Sentinels.

As soon as I read that sentinels are frenzied when I land on a new planet, I jump right back into that spaceship and blast off, never to return.

32 minutes ago, siread said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see that stuff. Of course I would, it looks awesome. My point is that it isn't "the game". Once you've seen a dozen charging rhinos, herds scattering, birds flocking, then what? If it doesn't mean anything or have any baring on your progress then you're back to talking about oceans and puddles. That's why everyone was asking Sean Murray, "but what's the point, what do you actually DO in the game?" All the early part of that trailer showed was observing, not playing or even interacting. 

Actually, I want to refine this point. I think it would a huge amount to the game IF you already enjoy the exploratory side of it. If on the other hand you're one of those people thinking, 'there's nothing to do' then I don't think it would add enough to change your mind. If dinosaur hunting was a thing, then yes, there might be some exciting stuff to be had there, but killing creatures in its current guise is pathetic, and there was never any promise of trophy hunting.

I think the trouble with the game is that the main objective is to get to the center but whenever Sean talks about it he never really mentions that. He's always on about playing it and just exploring and chilling out. I wonder if getting to the center was something Sony pushed in as they needed an objective.

Whereas I'd have much rathered it was just an exploration game with no goal except discovering places no one else had been to. That way I wouldn't feel torn between exploring and moving on. Which is how I feel now.

I almost sold it over the weekend though (£38 at CEX!) but didn't and I'm glad I didn't. Going to stick with it for at least the next couple of big updates to see how things go.

Decided that if I was going to spend inordinate amounts of time getting to the centre of the galaxy, then it will be in Elite, not NMS. So went back to ED on Saturday. The juxtaposition between the two games couldn't be more pronounced. Elite just makes you feel much more like you are in actual space, you get none of the nonsense of being able to see three planets looming large on your horizon. When you do see more than one thing in space in ED, then it is a rare and interesting thing.  And space is black, with stars and clouds spattering the view. 

As I jumped across the galaxy in ED, I decided to aim for one of the clouds, Lagoon Sector or something, as it is on my way. It was about 2500lys away, but as I kept jumping I started to see a blob on my screen in real space view, then bright new stars within that blob, then I realised that it was the actual cloud I was heading towards, it got bigger and bigger until I was within its borders and it was all encompassing. That is how you do a galactic map and real space flight, you get the feeling that HG were so busy building NMS that they didn't get a chance to indulge in games like ED and see how they could improve their own. Just the very fact that you cannot zoom out of the galactic view in NMS is annoying, why not? as for actually finding a route through the galaxy or aiming for interesting things it's just luck.

The one thing NMS has over ED is the landing on proper planets and getting out of your ship. If ED could nick that from them for Atmosphere landings, it'd be fantastic. Albeit in Elite they will have the issue of having to generate massive cities too, if they ever do it.

11 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

A cheeky stint before work now has me down to five figures in distance from the centre: 97548.3

Us hardened Jumpers immediately see that number as 50-odd jumps (unless a decreasing distance to the centre reduces the difference between linear distance travelled and remaining distance to the centre). What's the betting that LeChuck's obsession overtakes his desire to do anything else until the deed is done? You're sure of these things when you're a friend of mathematical inevitability. I'm also sure he'll be finished this week. I'm even sure of what he'll say as he makes that last lurch to his bright-hot goal. 'Towards thee I jump, thou all-destroying but unconquering centre,' he'll say. 'To the last I grapple with a confusing UI for thee; from rllmuk’s heart I stab at thee; for Davros’ sake I spit my last warp core at thee.'

Username change request: Captain Ahab. 

55 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

As soon as I read that sentinels are frenzied when I land on a new planet, I jump right back into that spaceship and blast off, never to return.

Indeed.  Again it's a failing of the game's resource balancing imo.  I should be forced to sometimes spend some time on a hostile planet like that because it has plutonium and I *need* plutonium!! Everything is so plentiful there's just no point staying somewhere that inconvenient.   Not even the gravtino balls are worth it, you can just as easily stumble across a planet full of vortex cubes that inexplicably don't trigger sentinels, much more straightforward. 

27 minutes ago, Danster said:

Decided that if I was going to spend inordinate amounts of time getting to the centre of the galaxy, then it will be in Elite, not NMS. So went back to ED on Saturday. The juxtaposition between the two games couldn't be more pronounced. Elite just makes you feel much more like you are in actual space, you get none of the nonsense of being able to see three planets looming large on your horizon. When you do see more than one thing in space in ED, then it is a rare and interesting thing.  And space is black, with stars and clouds spattering the view. 

As I jumped across the galaxy in ED, I decided to aim for one of the clouds, Lagoon Sector or something, as it is on my way. It was about 2500lys away, but as I kept jumping I started to see a blob on my screen in real space view, then bright new stars within that blob, then I realised that it was the actual cloud I was heading towards, it got bigger and bigger until I was within its borders and it was all encompassing. That is how you do a galactic map and real space flight, you get the feeling that HG were so busy building NMS that they didn't get a chance to indulge in games like ED and see how they could improve their own. Just the very fact that you cannot zoom out of the galactic view in NMS is annoying, why not? as for actually finding a route through the galaxy or aiming for interesting things it's just luck.

The one thing NMS has over ED is the landing on proper planets and getting out of your ship. If ED could nick that from them for Atmosphere landings, it'd be fantastic. Albeit in Elite they will have the issue of having to generate massive cities too, if they ever do it.

So basically you want NMS to be more like ED and ED to be more like NMS. 

Do people with a Warp Theta upgrade remember where they found it?  I think that's my next goal.   The joining LeChuck on a race to the centre (he will win, I'm happy to come second). 

Oh and what kinds of goodies have people found behind the V2 / V3 atlas doors?  I'm betting it's pretty lacklustre.. 

2 hours ago, macosx said:

Davros, there's' no flocking and scattering animal behavior in the game, and no interaction between the animals to that degree of flight or fight. Ie that huge rhino charging trees. 

Yes, I acknowledged that a couple of posts above yours.

2 hours ago, macosx said:

in the actual game nothing looks as natural a scene

Ah, but here is where I don't agree. When the game generates the right creatures, with the right animation, in enough numbers, on the right grassy planet, with lovely multi-coloured flowers everywhere, and the right number of ships flying overhead, with a gorgeous sunset dipping over the horizon, the game looks just as natural as the trailer, and even looks better, on occasion.

Moreover, some of the more aggressive planets, with weird rock formations, pulsing alien flesh running through them, and toxic dust storms which eat through your shields in under a minute, forcing you to burrow for safety, i.e. actually interact with the game - stuff like that definitely is "better" than what was seen in that trailer in my opinion, and is all the more so for being surprising and not what was "promised".

I'm also on the journey to the centre. Think I've about 140k left. Filled my ship with as many addons as possible so my drives have less chance of breaking. Jump to black hole, dive through black hole and repeat. Repairing along the way with my stock of resources. When my warp fuel is done I land and refill, a wee bit of exploring and we're off again.

13 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Ah, but here is where I don't agree. When the game generates the right creatures, with the right animation, in enough numbers, on the right grassy planet, with lovely multi-coloured flowers everywhere, and the right number of ships flying overhead, with a gorgeous sunset dipping over the horizon, the game looks just as natural as the trailer, and even looks better, on occasion.

Moreover, some of the more aggressive planets, with weird rock formations, pulsing alien flesh running through them, and toxic dust storms which eat through your shields in under a minute, forcing you to burrow for safety, i.e. actually interact with the game - stuff like that definitely is "better" than what was seen in that trailer in my opinion, and is all the more so for being surprising and not what was "promised".

Disagree, the flocking in the trailer looked so good, there's even a little baby deerdino that's following the herd.  There are no herds in the final game.  They all seem to just wander about on their own terms.  But hey lets stop this roundabout now, shall we? :)

Much more important to me is the way they've made it 'too easy' - every planet has most of the basic resources.  There is way too much 'life' in terms of ships / buildings / space stations.  The way the game mechanics and rules are designed means you can only ever find things that are a tiny bit better than what you have already, but if you stay on the same planet for long enough you can basically max your man out because of the sheer number of outposts etc.   It would be so good to genuinely, randomly stumble on a max-level ship early in the game, but not have the materials to upgrade it.   Having to bookmark it, do some adventures on different planets then come back for it. The life support / hostile environments are a bit of a joke.    There's no urgency, there's no danger.  In 50 hours I haven't died once.   I haven't panicked once.  I haven't once thought - shit, I'm fucked.   I want to feel that way!! 

And I really dislike how the only interactions with game objects other than mining laser is effectively a vending machine.   Talk to man, get item.  Solve rudimentary puzzle, get item.  Press button, get it-- OH IT ALREADY HAVE/KNOW THIS ITEM. 

Such a shame. 

(still love it though)

15 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I've got the blueprint, but I've never installed the Theta Drive. All that gold and emeril, no thanks. 

As for the v3 pass. Oh it's quite something, I can tell you. ^_^

Heh.  Do you remember where you found the Theta blueprint?  Was it by talking to an NPC, in a box, or what? 

Thanks... Next nice planet I find, I'm going to rinse some buildings and see what I find!

Tell you what else is a joke, those machines on the walls that give you credits - 100-odd credits?  THANKS. 

Decided to sell this today. If CEX are giving £36 cash then that's just a pound a week I've paid to play this. I'll hold on to the cash and put it towards a psvr game in a month or so. Then I'll rebuy this when it's about a tenner and they modded something worthwhile into it in six months time. 

I know this may sound terrible, but this is a thought I had today:

No Man's Sky should have been used as tech for something else, rather than made and released as a full-price game.

This game engine - this code - this gameplay - would be perfect in something like Mass Effect 4. I mean, just as the secondary "landing on planets" part of a Mass Effect game. Then there would be a huge complicated story-driven RPG to get stuck into... but with No Man's Sky's code bolted on for some plenetary landings. Then it wouldn't be underwhelming or directionless... it would be one very cool part of a larger game.

I imagine the entire No Man's Sky budget and workflow would fit comfortably in EA's Mass Effect 4 budget. All the Hello Games employees would get paid the same... it's just that it wouldn't make them famous. Sean Murray wouldn't go on Colbert, and he wouldn't become a tragic Molyneux figure. They would be the unknown guys who made a really cool part of Mass Effect.

36 minutes ago, dood said:

Much more important to me is the way they've made it 'too easy' - every planet has most of the basic resources.  There is way too much 'life' in terms of ships / buildings / space stations.  The way the game mechanics and rules are designed means you can only ever find things that are a tiny bit better than what you have already, but if you stay on the same planet for long enough you can basically max your man out because of the sheer number of outposts etc.   It would be so good to genuinely, randomly stumble on a max-level ship early in the game, but not have the materials to upgrade it.   Having to bookmark it, do some adventures on different planets then come back for it. The life support / hostile environments are a bit of a joke.    There's no urgency, there's no danger.  In 50 hours I haven't died once.   I haven't panicked once.  I haven't once thought - shit, I'm fucked.   I want to feel that way!! 

And I really dislike how the only interactions with game objects other than mining laser is effectively a vending machine.   Talk to man, get item.  Solve rudimentary puzzle, get item.  Press button, get it-- OH IT ALREADY HAVE/KNOW THIS ITEM. 

Such a shame. 

(still love it though)

Totally agree. They've littered the place with outposts, and every single one of them chucks blueprints at you. You can get them from aliens, boxes on the wall, tech capsules that have seemingly fallen out of the sky, ancient ruins... They should have ditched at least one of those elements because, similar to the farming exploit, you end up with more than you need far too soon and then there is nothing pulling you forwards, urging you to keep going and keep leveling up. The balance is so skewed towards 'easy' it's infuriating, and it would have been such an easy fix.

19 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

I know this may sound terrible, but this is a thought I had today:

No Man's Sky should have been used as tech for something else, rather than made and released as a full-price game.

This game engine - this code - this gameplay - would be perfect in something like Mass Effect 4. I mean, just as the secondary "landing on planets" part of a Mass Effect game. Then there would be a huge complicated story-driven RPG to get stuck into... but with No Man's Sky's code bolted on for some plenetary landings. Then it wouldn't be underwhelming or directionless... it would be one very cool part of a larger game.

I imagine the entire No Man's Sky budget and workflow would fit comfortably in EA's Mass Effect 4 budget. All the Hello Games employees would get paid the same... it's just that it wouldn't make them famous. Sean Murray wouldn't go on Colbert, and he wouldn't become a tragic Molyneux figure. They would be the unknown guys who made a really cool part of Mass Effect.

Yes, to me it feels like the leap forward of something like Wolfenstein 3D. We're waiting for the Doom equivalent to attach a classic game to the tech.

8 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I don't actually think it's much of a leap forward at all, and honestly, I don't think NMS is an original idea even.

The art style is original to be fair, but the game and mechanics aren't IMO.

I think he means the leap in procedural generation of the universe more than the game systems. 

Thing is, it's good, but I think something like Dwarf Fortress has even better procedural stuff going on. 

7 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I don't actually think it's much of a leap forward at all, and honestly, I don't think NMS is an original idea even.

The art style is original to be fair, but the game and mechanics aren't IMO.

In what other game can you cavort freely around the galaxy landing seamlessly on any planet of your choosing, then get out and explore on foot?

I said much of a leap forward.  

The thing is, from what I've seen, you can't cavort freely around space, the space flight and star systems are just huge planets right next to each other in a sea of rocks, you're right, the planet generation and movement between in cartoon space to on the surface is impressive, and probably the most impressive thing I've seen in the game.  You can do something similar in Elite although not as seamlessly I understand.

The idea is not original though in my opinion, dev teams have been wanting to do this for thirty years.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th