IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

6 hours ago, dood said:

Sure, I'll check! I only checked the last couple of times.. Sure @Captain LeChuck or possibly @Broker noticed a similar thing.

Itust be confusing units or bugged or something tho, pretty sure my last jump said I'd travelled something ludicrous like 800,000 LY, but I was only about 4,000 closer to centre.. 

It told me I'd jumped 1200000 light years, which put me 2000 closer to the center :\

It is confusing, I agree. There's really no need for them to give you that figure. It means nothing. It doesn't reflect the reality of the distance travelled at all, and there isn't even a sci-fi pedant, trainspottery reason for its inclusion, as the whole 'warp through a black hole thing' is all just made up anyway and you could just as easily say you don't move at all - or better still, that you move the actual distance you do! It's almost like they're being deliberately obfuscatory or summat, I dunno.

I have now spent two full days of gameplay trying to get the Atlas Pass v2 or v3, with no luck. It's so boring. I even know I'll be totally disappointed if I ever get them ( I just hate being locked out of things, I want the special VIP pass to get into the special VIP rooms! I don't care if there's nothing in them!)

Tips on the internet haven't helped. I craft a bunch of bypass chips, go to an orange beam of light thingy, and choose "Colonial outposts". This highlights Operations Centers and Manufacturing Facilities. I know that you're supposed to have success at Operations Centers. Most of these guides say you'll have success after about 10 times - around 1 hour of gameplay.

Well the RNG gods must be mocking me, because I've been repetitively doing NOTHING ELSE BUT THIS for about 10 gameplay hours with no luck (Okay, I'll also mine a pillar of emeril if I see one. And I bought a new ship. But I've almost done nothing else).

We found a good planet in the Simon & Garfunkel system. The plant of Hazy Shade of Winter has almost no plant or animal life, almost casual, can't be bothered, sentinels and a load of trading posts. They also seem to have huge rocks of gold.

We made about 400K credits in 15 minutes, which allowed us to buy the 20 slot multi-tool. The only downside was the game seems to be bugging out for us - we destroy a huge gold rock and walk away. When we're a certain distance, the rock appears as if it's back there. However, once you return and get close, it remains destroyed.

I still maintain that since the 1.04 patch, there has been a noticeable graphic quality drop off/increase in pop up. But as Rowan said, the planets could be getting more complex.

Still put another 6-7 hours into this weekend, which puts it as the fourth most played PS4 I have (Lego Marvel, Bloodborne, DS3)

Ok, this travel to the centre thing. I have it, or at least enough to convince me what the quickest route (by number of jumps) is.

The Polygon article I referenced earlier is wrong. I think this is the piece people are referring to when they say it's quicker to jump normally with fully-upgraded drives than use black holes. In the section 'Why you should never, ever use black holes' they give an example of a normal jump with a fully upgraded drive taking you further than a black hole jump. Here's what they say:

Based on our extensive testing, a black hole will move you hundreds of thousands of light years (let's call it) left or right, but only about 1,500 light years toward the Galactic Center. If you have the blueprints, though, and devote the time to gathering the resources, a fully tricked out Warp Engine with the Sigma, Theta and Tau Companion Units installed can move you a little over 1,600 light years at a time with no danger to your ship.

However, in their extensive testing they've made a fundamental mistake, so basic that I didn't even think to check they'd got it wrong. They've looked at this:

No Man's Sky_20160818142119.jpg

and they've read the linear distance travelled (1,669 LY) as being the amount they've got closer to the centre. Which, as we know from our own discussions, it absolutely is not. In my jumps today, I selected a normal one that looked as direct to centre as I could find, which had a linear distance of 1,597 LY. It took me 340 LY closer to the centre. And they all seem to be like that, even those that you line up straight as a die: the linear distance of the jump is around around 4.5 - 5x greater than the distance you actually get closer to the centre. So even using Polygon's best possible direct jumps, you need to make almost five times as many as you would black hole jumps, which typically get you about 1500-1600 closer to the centre - and whose linear jump distance is vastly greater than that. And if you select a black hole galaxy to jump to, you're actually adding that 1500-1600 on top of the distance-to-centre of the normal jump to the black hole in the first place. So you could be talking about needing to make 6x the number of jumps if you avoid black holes.

Why is the distance travelled to the centre so much less than the linear distance jumped, when you seem to be (by eye) travelling directly to that centre? I dunno. I'm neither an astrophysicist nor a games designer. It seems counterintuitive, but I have to remind myself that we really are talking about rocket science here, so I'm trying to not feel too bad about it. The question's been asked at I Did The Math and there are some answers there if you're interested. But regardless of the answer, whether it's truly reflective of space travel or Hello's desire to just make it harder to get to the centre, that linear distance is only useful when gauging how much further you might be able to coax your drives to jump. When it comes to measuring the distance you'll achieve closer to the centre, it's way out by a factor of around 5. And black holes give you easily the smallest number of jumps to the centre - probably about 6x fewer than normal jumps alone.

Obviously, whether you think that's worth the cost and time of repairs is up to you to decide. 

17 minutes ago, Goose said:

We made about 400K credits in 15 minutes, which allowed us to buy the 20 slot multi-tool. The only downside was the game seems to be bugging out for us - we destroy a huge gold rock and walk away. When we're a certain distance, the rock appears as if it's back there. However, once you return and get close, it remains destroyed.

As weird as this looks, it's not so much a bug, it just seems to be the way things work. Outside of a relatively small bubble around the player, the game renders the landscape in its pristine, unmined state and only shows changes that you have made when you get close.

I think I've seen enough of this version of the game - neither the Atlas Path, the way of Black Holes, the super endurance test (which explains why that marker seems "stuck" for ages), or anything else really seems sufficiently compelling to labour on at present.  Got a 25 slot green Goddess of a ship, the sigma and theta drives and 42 or 43 slots in the suit.

So, I'll cash out tomorrow, and re-buy digitally (ideally at sales price) some time in the future when all the sexy new content is available.

That doesn't mean the trip hasn't been worthwhile though.  Lovely game, and I wish the team well for their future endeavours.

54 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Regarding the travel to the centre debacle. I wonder, if we could really zoom out all the way on the map, that the Euclid galaxy would appear as a spiral galaxy. My theory is the path to the centre is circular, constantly arcing toward the centre as you follow it. The black holes merely allow you to hop on to a strand of the path that's closer to the centre. That would account for travelling over a million light years, but only being 1600 light years closer. 

As for those Polygon and Kotaku articles, lol, and they get paid a salary to write that nonsense? What imbeciles.

What's weird is of you go on free look mode on the map, then zoom out, you can zoom for what feels like forever.  We definitely didn't seem to start at the fringes, that's for sure.  The galaxy in NMS doesn't seem to get more dense towards the middle, either. 

28 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've had a few of these in space, but there seems to be nothing there or happening when I arrive. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry, I meant the ones on-planet via the transmission towers, that find you crashed ships! 

As said above, if you arrive too late to a yellow exclamation mark in space, you've missed the chance to save the freighter. 

You could argue that 'near the edge' of the galaxy would still mean you couldn't reasonably zoom out of it on the map, just the same way you can't zoom in towards the centre. We have to always bear in mind just how goddamn big it is.

Maybe there's someone out there willing to rubber-band their stick forwards and leave it running just to test. It'd probably still take an ungodly amount of time though.

2 hours ago, Gorf King said:

Why is the distance travelled to the centre so much less than the linear distance jumped, when you seem to be (by eye) travelling directly to that centre? I dunno.

The day 1 patch made galaxies "up to 10x larger"... maybe that messed with the maths and caused a discrepancy between "Linear Distance" and actual distance travelled.

To test this theory I'd have to delete all patches and start a new game, so never mind.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th