IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

1 hour ago, freezycold said:

So, I gave it a go...and it's cute. But it's nothing near what the dev's promised. I don't see how they can at all justify asking for £50 considering they pretty much sold the game on features that didn't make it into the final product. Biggest swindle since Weinberg? Probably.

Which missing features did they pretty much sell it on?

Ruminations on the universe and the Atlas trail...

Spoiler

Anybody else think that this whole universe, as has been created by hello games, is being set up as being an artificial construct within the game.

Lots of the chatter in the monument texts is about control and creation. And the Atlas reward is too much of a pointer back to the universe creators.

The galaxy is too big, one thing I read earlier (in the game) suggested that there wasn't enough difference in creatures. 

I think HG decided that this fake universe is in itself fake, whether the wool will be allowed to uncover our eyes or not I don't know, but it certainly feels like that meme about putting things in things...

I honestly don't think the story or ideas in the game are worth even thinking about. There's nothing to that aspect of the title at all. I think it'd have been better (and probably more honest) to just leave that part of the game out altogether - to say it feels tokenistic would be doing a disservice to tokens. Just make it a 100% pure, aimless, goalless sandpit and advertise it as such. Make your own goals (and provide more tools in the game for people to make and accomplish those goals).

Can't say any more really for fear of spoilers.

So I just got to the end of the Atlas path 

Spoiler

Although I am one atlas stone short, even though I kept every one I was given.

I feel completely empty regarding it. The game's still not finished, but I feel like I saw everything on offer hours ago. I've enjoyed my time with the game, I loved it for a good while, although I'm feeling kind of disillusioned now and I know I'll enjoy more time with it, but at the moment it feels to me like its ten hours of content in a who knows how many hours game. It doesn't even feel like there was any reason to follow the path. Beyond the obvious shallow storyline, what's the point of it? The No Man's Sky universe is hollow.

The last planet I landed on was called by the game Bleak Planet which was apt.

I'm out.

The gradual attrition of dull rocky worlds has done it for me. For the first dozen or so hours this is a great experience  then the repetition with the slight cosmetic overhaul of each planet starts to get old. God knows how many hours I've put into this now but the limited gameplay loop has just been spread too thin over a too massive galaxy and those moments of wonder have got very far between. Too many almost barren worlds with curly arched rocks and zero fauna.

Blasting this out the airlock tomorrow. Beautiful visuals as a planet simulator with almost every view but ended up thankless grind. Hopefully they'll add more to this over time to fill it out. All the promised choice in this was basically reduced to inventory and resource management on some screens with boxes, everything else based in the actual game world is very limited and cosmetic. 

Well, just finished a session which began with the sole intent to warp as much as possible. 

Land on the first planet to begin assembling necessary ingredients for warp fuel. Nice place, no mental wildlife, no crazy storms and the sentinels are not fussed at all by my presence. So I begin to gather and assemble the required elements for warp fuel.

Somehow I've parked directly underneath a floating copper deposit, on take off the ship glitches into the deposit and ricochets of the innards until the ship is no more. At this point I think, I can just mine this shit out the way...  

Nope, after many attempts my ship gets caught in what can only be tiny minuscules of copper and just ricochets itself to death. I try loading the only previous save and the ship is parked part inside the deposit with most of the drives required for takeoff damaged.  I repair the ship and try taking off. Dead.

Only course of action is too find an outpost and summon the ship...2 actual IRL hours of walking later,  with every question mark being either a drop pod, a fucking alien artefact or a cunting empty space with nothing but a cunting save point, I find an outpost with a summoning point. Ship appears and I fuck off ASAP., pirates scan, loads of them, forgot to fill the hyper drive, get destroyed and thank fuck I used that save point before I summoned the ship. 

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

8 hours ago, macosx said:

The last planet I landed on was called by the game Bleak Planet which was apt.

I'm out.

Yep. I realised I'd named my last four planets Toxic Rock, Boring Rock, Pointless Rock and then, finally, Rock.  Inspiration has run dry.  I'm done.

Ok, I've visited countless bases now and have never seen what's behind the side doors because I've never had any option to buy or build a pass - can somebody spoiler tag a guide to getting them please?

Was up till 2am last night mining Emil and Nickle in the hope of upgrading my hyperwarpdrivethingy - now just need a shedload of Aluminium...

30 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Ok, I've visited countless bases now and have never seen what's behind the side doors because I've never had any option to buy or build a pass - can somebody spoiler tag a guide to getting them please?

Was up till 2am last night mining Emil and Nickle in the hope of upgrading my hyperwarpdrivethingy - now just need a shedload of Aluminium...

Spoiler

IIRC, I went along the Atlas path a couple of times and eventually got the blueprint to V1 by visiting a signposted Anomaly. 

I've yet to go and find a Lvl1 door to open, but have used it on a few of those random pods you find. Generally got 

Spoiler

Hyperdrive fuel cells, which saves a lot of time and crafting

36 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yep. I realised I'd named my last four planets Toxic Rock, Boring Rock, Pointless Rock and then, finally, Rock.  Inspiration has run dry.  I'm done.

This is a tricky one. If the devs had made every planet a wondrous, verdant paradise, you wouldn't find it so thrilling when you did find such a planet.

I don't want to sound like an apologist, but I like the barren rocky worlds. In fact I think it would be a more rewarding experience if they thinned out the lush ones even more, so finding one was a real "wow" moment.

Clearly everyone's mileage will vary, but I haven't yet found a planet I didn't at least want to have a poke around on for an hour or two. And even if you don't want to, you can land, say "Ooh look, rocks", and very quickly clear off to another one.

I still haven't had a single second of anything other than absolute pleasure playing this. Even the "grind" for Aluminium through the caves was strangely relaxing.

Spoiler

Ah, that allusive anomaly again - it's finally dawned on me that I'm not following the Atlas path at all...I thought the gold line was it but that's just the path to the centre isn't it. I'm sure I went with the Atlas path option at the beginning, but that all seems like a dream now. Question is, do I restart?

17 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:
  Hide contents

Ah, that allusive anomaly again - it's finally dawned on me that I'm not following the Atlas path at all...I thought the gold line was it but that's just the path to the centre isn't it. I'm sure I went with the Atlas path option at the beginning, but that all seems like a dream now. Question is, do I restart?

Atlas...

Spoiler

Is the Atlas path still on your galaxy map? Pressing R1 until you're on the third dot at the top of the screen should show you it.

18 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That only appears when you scan animals. Plants don't count.

I don't get them when I scan animals. I've had it appear only a couple of times and we often scan a good 5-6 animals per planet (My daughter loves that aspect). It'd be really useful as well.

Thinking about it, another oddity is that sometimes we'll scan a creature and have to manually go into the journal screen to upload the data and get the credits (we do this most times). But occasionally we'll scan something and it'll automatically give us credits.

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th