IGNORED

No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th

TehStu

Yeah, that extreme conditions milestone is broken. You have to get the entire thing in one go, on the first planet you landed on with crazy heat or whatever.

Landing on another won't do anything, and seeing as the first extreme weather I encountered was about fifty warp jumps back, it isn't getting done until they fix it.

51 minutes ago, Thread Astaire said:

You go on the galactic map and search for discoveries - I think it's been down for a few days as when I did it before it just continually searched, but last night it found my discoveries and to go back to the systems you've found you press right on the d-pad. There she was in all her glory, my very first find - the Diana Dors system. 

Game changing. 

17 minutes ago, Sng said:

So how come I can't just fly to a waypoint that's 30 minutes away? The timer keeps jumping around that point. I have to fly off and round to the other side or use my boost? But why can't I just fly there at normal speed? Technical reasons I assume?

It's probably over the horizon, i.e on the other side of the planet. If you point the nose of your ship up, does the time to destination go down and your speed increase? If so, you're probably better off going into orbit until you're right above it, then flying directly down.

26 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I might be wrong but I think your suit is Life Support only, as in literally oxygen etc. 

Nope. On this planet I have a little nuclear symbol in green and it takes ages to count down. Protects me from damage. I have Life Support Tau which may be why?

I haven't had any crashes (yet) on PS4. I sometimes get the bug where taking off blasts you into the upper atmosphere of the planet.

I also noticed a bug with the photon cannon: when you buy a new ship your photon cannon will be "0% charged", and every time you use it a message comes up reminding you to charge it up with yellow materials. However, you can't. Charging the cannon is something they removed in the last patch, but they forgot to remove it properly. Some people report that the bugged cannon is too weak and has no enemy targetting... but I've actually not been in combat yet myself.

I had one crash last night when I was landing on a planet I had been to a few times. 

Lucky really as I'd have been up all night playing it if it didn't crash.

Still dunno what to think of this game. Clearly divisive. Not a great deal to do but everyone loves mining. And it's great for a wander around. 

Looking forward to the new AA and clouds. And definitely base building.

Failures to load: 1

Complete game freezes: 1

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THA ... Oh, I'm in space a lot more quickly than I expected to be. Cool!: 3

Minor UI niggles: Plenty

For the most part, I've found the actual game part of it all works as it is meant to, but the stuff that I (perhaps naively) think should be easy and obvious is where the problems lie. Like the way that every so often I have a blueprint auto-pin itself. Or the two times to date that I've been mining an asteroid with my Phase Beam, and it decided to target a ship instead, meaning I now have to accept death from sentinel ships because I can't just jump out there to avoid the combat and it's just easier to reclaim shit from my grave than it is to waste Titanium recharging my shields while I hold R2 and O to hopefully reach the planet some time today.

Some of the game's logical choices baffle me, too. There's really no reason why I can't store a 2nd multitool in my ship, for example, so I can have one for mining and one for combat. For that matter, I should really be able to store a second suit, so that I can have one for toxic planets, or one for underwater. The thing is, this universe is big enough that I don't have any pressing need to put up with hostile environments; there's always an easier and more relaxing planet around the corner. I think an absolute need to put up with such adversity for some kind of great reward would make for a much more satisfying experience.

What I'm liking about the game, and why I'm glad I got in in this first wave, is the stories it is generating. Being part of this buzz is much better than finding out 6 months down the line that I missed out on the special days. 

17 minutes ago, APM said:

Anyone had distress beacons in the middle of space, only to arrive at them and find absolutely nothing?

The beacon seems to indicate the general area of the fracas. Are there no large ships nearby?

You can see in this video I recorded at 02:36 that the distress signal waypoint isn't exactly where the action is:

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

There are definitely balancing issues ; you can become very rich very quickly, meaning money is never a problem. There are functional problems, not being able to optimize and rearrange suit/ship/tool items needs fixing and the fact you can't preview an item if you don't have a spare slot is poor, as it the lack of any indication of reclaimed materials from scrapping.

Planets are flat, there by that I mean there are no extremes. It's like constantly flying over wales ( the inhabitants on many planets bear a resemblance too). I suspect , however, it would not take much to end up with randomly generated spikey balls for planets.

But. There is enough there to set yourself goals as has been said. I am determined to learn every word of every language. My priority has shifted from exploring every inch of every planet to searching out about the races and the back story, and I'm mining to keep my money topping up in the meantime. I have to say I'm loving it.

You can see the materials obtained from scrapping, at least for exosuit items.

I'm relaxed now about not shifting mods around - simply wait for an upgraded blueprint and do it then.

I would like to review ship blueprints in a separate menu, since I'm working toward massing the material for the three new hyperdrives, but it's not impossible - just shift something temporarily to the suit and make a quick note.

How do you know how much progress you are making with languages?  I don't seem to have even a breakdown by race, although I know Korvax is way behind the other two.   I like this aspect too, and the satisfaction gained from answering the little quizzes correctly by understanding rather than guessing.

At present it seems all the combat stuff is a bit half baked - whether v sentinals, critters or other ships, such that it doesn't seem a good use of mod slots for this purpose.  I don't really want this to turn more shooty since there are plenty of alternatives for that; it more feels they had to add something in for the sake of it.

I have a grave marker floating in space from when I went and collected my stuff after loading more things in my hold, so there wasn't enough space to collect everything. It was a few units of a common ore, so I never bothered going back to get it as I figured it would vanish when I left the system.. 3 warp jumps later it's still there, hanging in the sky. Grrrr.

You know what is really annoying? 

Me and another player called deak1ns87 are on the same path. And I keep naming planets but I'm offline for some damned reason and then the planet names all changed to his choosing. Fuck. Shit. 

My my names rocked such as Acid Funk, Angry Sentinels and Lost in A Mine-R and his are Atog_2, Data_4 and Invil_9. 

My my planet names are gone. Lost to the mists...

I said I would give this game a break....though, last night I watched Sips play NMS......and then I had to load it back up, then I played for 3 hours straight...I'm moving faster, now skipping whole planets and systems often.

10 minutes ago, Sng said:

Amazed they didn't put some kind of thing in place so that couldn't happen. What's the point a gajillion planets if people are stepping on each others toes right at the start?

Conversely, what's the point in planet naming if nobody sees them?

My best name:  Bury Market (World Famous)

I named one star Off Licence with planets named;   Cheap Booze & Fags,  White Lightning 50% off,  Mucky Books on Top Shelf.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Some of the game's logical choices baffle me, too. There's really no reason why I can't store a 2nd multitool in my ship, for example, so I can have one for mining and one for combat. For that matter, I should really be able to store a second suit, so that I can have one for toxic planets, or one for underwater. The thing is, this universe is big enough that I don't have any pressing need to put up with hostile environments; there's always an easier and more relaxing planet around the corner. I think an absolute need to put up with such adversity for some kind of great reward would make for a much more satisfying experience.

The thing is though, the designers made a choice and decided that you were only allowed one multi-tool, one suit, one ship (for now at least). They also made a decision that you can magically store 100 tons of shit on your suit and it doesn't get in the way or wear you out. Tardis pockets? Who knows, but the point is that they felt it necessary to restrict you in certain ways and give you freedom in others. Sure, they have made some wrong/strange decisions but it doesn't really matter what makes logical sense, what matters is what works best for the game, and they are no doubt still figuring that all out.

Also, I think I prefer the hostile environments as they feel the most alien. Then when a nice safe planet comes along it's like a vacation. :D

I can't be doing with the reactions on NeoGaf to this game. I'm pretty sure no one from Hello Games came and killed their family in front of them but you'd think they did. You feel like shaking people and saying 'we get it! It wasn't what you expected it to be!' 

Looks like weekend playing is the only chance I'll get. Interested to see what the patch is going to add/fix/change. To be honest I too can't see myself seeing this to the end but hell, if I enjoy the journey, does it matter? 

13 minutes ago, siread said:

Also, I think I prefer the hostile environments as they feel the most alien. Then when a nice safe planet comes along it's like a vacation. :D

I certainly don't immediately leave if I land on a planet that looks "boring" on the face of it. There's a certain realism to some of the less wacky planets that I enjoy, and they often give the best views. 

Has anyone landed anywhere actually flat as a pancake yet, or on desert plain?

• TehStu changed the title to No Man's Sky - Endurance | Switch version Oct 7th