rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

9 minutes ago, K said:

Assuming there's a limit on how long you can make a name (say 20 characters), are there enough combinations of letters and numbers to allow for 18 quintillion unique names?

Yes, easily (36^20 is far bigger than 2^64).

A restriction would be pointless though. There are towns in the UK with the same name, and people seem to get by just fine.

11 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Also, as K kinda alluded to, it's technically impossible with a word comparison against 18 quintillion other words, unless you wait for a year for each planet name to validate.

I wasn't alluding to that, but that sounds like the kind of thing I would like to have said, so I'm going to run with it.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, TheRustySnowman said:

Spent an hour or so this morning looking at upgrading my PC for this. In the end I decided to be sensible and save a some money. Which of course means I did this...

image.jpeg

Fantastic decision! Bloodborne alone is amazing. How much was that bundle? I've got a friend that really should buy a PS4 and this may push him over the edge.

In other news, No Mans Sky pre-load started for me today and the theme downloaded at the same time... even the theme is locked behind the pre-order timer!

36 minutes ago, TheRustySnowman said:

Spent an hour or so this morning looking at upgrading my PC for this. In the end I decided to be sensible and save a some money. Which of course means I did this...

image.jpeg

Nice combo

6 minutes ago, bobontheway said:

Fantastic decision! Bloodborne alone is amazing. How much was that bundle? I've got a friend that really should buy a PS4 and this may push him over the edge.

In other news, No Mans Sky pre-load started for me today and the theme downloaded at the same time... even the theme is locked behind the pre-order timer!

I was bad and actually bought something in Game because I am impatient (happened to have today off work so could have a play). With an extra pad the bundle was £330. I got rid of Uncharted and Bloodborne because they don't interest me in the slightest and I wanted Ratchet.

I highly doubt it will be zero.  With some time and planning and using resources like forums and that, two players could come into contact with each other.

I would find it hilarious that like after two weeks of the games release, two players came across each other.

If you are UK you need to wait until midnight tomorrow to download.

I'm in Spain. I can't play it until midnight tomorrow :( , but it's downloading right now, there's at least that :)

10 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

The bit that is maybe implied but left unstated is "the chances are pretty much zero so we didn't write and test a load of code to make it possible."

Yeah, I'm sure this is true.

It would be a nice thing to add in future. Perhaps you could create a party and explore together.

he did follow it up with this

I am guessing they don't want to give away what it is they have implemented. But they are saying definitely dont expect multiplayer as such.

Sean Murray on the BBC news now with the game being shown. This game is going to be huge in so many ways. 

Just a shame my PS4 has disappeared from the house! Maybe it skulked off after lack of use over the last year. (Sobs)

16 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

13908836_10154009110597880_7060312458362546832_o.jpg

soon...

I spent a good 15 minutes earlier, just watching the countdown... willing it to go quicker... nothing happened, except the inexorable tedious countdown, second by lengthy second, stretching out for what seemed like an eternity...

(I even, out of sheer desperation and excessive eagerness, tried disconnecting the ps4's ethernet cable and changing the internal clock to Wednesday... still kept counting down... :blink:)

Is it Wednesday yet?

So the chances of this arriving tomorrow from simply games are if ordered first thing this morning are? I don't think I can wait any longer to play lol I think I may "wfh" to type afternoon if it arrives ;-)

Just now, papalasarou said:

So the chances of this arriving tomorrow from simply games are if ordered first thing this morning are? I don't think I can wait any longer to play lol I think I may "wfh" to type afternoon if it arrives ;-)

I ordered today and got a 'despatch' notification about an hour later.  I did choose courier, because I'm a dick. 

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

he did follow it up with this

I am guessing they don't want to give away what it is they have implemented. But they are saying definitely dont expect multiplayer as such.

Pffft, as if people crossing paths = zero chance. More like it's just hassle to implment a feature for launch.

There will never be full on multiplayer (and I don't think anyone expected it to) but hopefully you'll soon be able leave your mark on a planet and be aware if friends have been the same planets as you. Then again, does it really matter?

11 minutes ago, dood said:

I ordered today and got a 'despatch' notification about an hour later.  I did choose courier, because I'm a dick. 

Ah I just chose first class well fingers crossed got the dispatch email at 9 this morning so here's to hoping :-) 

Well, nothing from GAME today. :( I've been watching a live stream on youtube for the last ten minutes, and there definitely seems less pop-in post patch. Is this true for others who have the game on here? 

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

It's maddening that they keep going on about the low probability of meeting.  The question is whether the've implemented it or not.  I still think not.

Imagine if and when it does happen. It would be like that Journey moment but X 1 million. You might even be the only two people to meet in that game ever.

they must have implemented something surely or they should just say no you can't....

I suspect that the developers aren't going to say "we never bothered to develop any multiplayer code as the minimal probability of ever meeting another player meant it didn't justify the outlay", as they don't want to destroy the magic before the game even comes out.

37 minutes ago, dood said:

I ordered today and got a 'despatch' notification about an hour later.

Same here. Previously my Simply orders have arrived next day and given someone put an order in on Friday and received the game Saturday I'm holding out hope it arrives.

Even visiting a planet someone has been on at any point will be monumental. I really wish they had made the universe smaller, 10 million planets would have been more than fast enough while giving opportunity for somehow witnessing the presence of others