rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

So this is actually worth buying these days? I imagine if I bought the disc version it'd be lumbered with a billion gig download for all these updates and patches. 

I’m not sure there’d be that much to download if you bought the game on disc. Probably about the full size of the game or a bit more, but it’s got a relatively small footprint anyway, no more than 10 gig.

15 hours ago, RJ Badman said:

Just seen that this is on Gog. How does that work out, then? With no DRM I imagine the servers'll be full of cheaters etc.

Erm, that's not what DRM is.

I have some dim recollection that they did a disc version of Next and/or Beyond.

The game is 50% off on a bunch of digital stores this weekend also - Steam, Humble, GMG, GOG, PSN that I've spotted.

Tempted to abandon my base and start a new one once I find another suitable planet. It's a bit of a mess - I've not yet worked out how to get power 24 hours a day using batteries and solar panels and the wiring is all over the place.

Question: i assume I dont have to go through the whole expand the base quest once I've done it once and unlocked everything? 

It's also now saying that my base computer isn't the base computer and that I have to use the one I made weeks and weeks ago on one of the first worlds I visited if I want to extract the latest data. Bit annoying.

I played this to death on launch & the first couple of big updates, but haven't really touched it since the 3rd person view & proper multiplayer patches ages ago. Had a quick dabble when the VR mode was launched - started a new game, got my ship flying, but left it at that.

Now it's full MP and community activities seem to be such a big element, is it still possible to wander, lost and alone in the immensity of the Universe, discovering uncharted systems, and planets populated only by slightly wanky-looking animals & unsettlingly phallic flora?

I found the solitude and vastness of the early game strangely engaging but I'm not too sure about the community elements, as I understand them. I do quite fancy growing a Lexx - style bug ship, though.

If you never choose to land in the nexus you would never really know there are other people playing. Pre-discovered systems are still not all that common. I have a little shack set up on a cliff overlooking a grassy plain on a red sky planet - I'm just chilling there like Thanos most of the time, all on my ownsome.

• Upvote 2

Yeh seems fine in pancake. It is weird. 

I was in a space station and it would crash immediately, I saved at a base, and now it crashes when I try and leave the atmosphere.

Maybe I should try a different system.

Crashes in release and in beta mode.

Anyway forced me to play through Dishonored so no bad thing!

I'VE GOT A BUGGY!

Going to rename it Bessie. Well excited. Now to find the random stuff I need to install all the tech on her. 

I'm currently building my fleet and sending them out on phat lewt runs in between sorting my egg and progressing various quest lines. Also found an A class 38+12 Fighter which has started me on the nano grind for upgrades. I'll probably never use it but it looks cool and I can hunt with it.

Anyone come across an annoying issue with the base building missions?

I have to learn the circuit board blueprint from the scientist but whenever I go to talk to him, he basically tells me to fuck off and come back later. Been like that for a while now so I'm on the farmer questline instead.

Am I missing something? Do I need to complete some secondary quests first? 

Can you reset the quest from the log with the right stick? I have vague recollection of them adding a reset function for borked quests.

Well I took the plunge and got this, on PS4 since it was on offer. I've sunk loads of time into it already, which is weird since I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. :lol:

My main problem is that I feel very lost. I get that I'm supposed to feel like that to an extent, but I feel like there are things I don't get that the game really should've explained. For example, I had no idea you could melee stuff with the mining tool in order or refuel it. I've followed tips to build things like a shelter, a reactor etc but haven't really learned anything about it all, if that makes sense. I can only stare blankly at all the upgrades with the traders, and I keep getting "You have an upgrade available, touch the touchpad to equip" or whatever, but I can't find anything in any of my inventories? 

I suppose what I'm saying is that while I've got the hang of mining, flying etc (I've stumbled as far as the main mission Ghosts in the Machine) the actual UI makes me feel like I'm looking a particularly complicated foreign language. Still, it's fun. ;)

• Empathy 1

When you say you have upgrades, is it possible you have a blueprint for an upgrade? If you hover over an empty space in your inventory, you should get an option to either craft something or install an upgrade/piece of technology.

Like you said, you can also buy upgrades from vendors which will actually show up in your inventory, ready to install.

Well I bought some to test, and some installed in empty tech spaces in my ship and some didn't. 

Basically all this stuff feels like I'm turning over two pages at once when I try to get my head around it. Maybe I should lay off the story for a bit and just wander and gather and such? I just rescued and was thus gifted a freighter. Daunting. :lol:

11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Can you reset the quest from the log with the right stick? I have vague recollection of them adding a reset function for borked quests.

Not that particular quest, no. Not quite sure what to do - I've still got tons of other things to do but I hope it's not a game wrecking bug. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

9 hours ago, RJ Badman said:

Well I bought some to test, and some installed in empty tech spaces in my ship and some didn't. 

Where did the others go? Are they exosuit upgrades?

20 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Anyone come across an annoying issue with the base building missions?

I have to learn the circuit board blueprint from the scientist but whenever I go to talk to him, he basically tells me to fuck off and come back later. Been like that for a while now so I'm on the farmer questline instead.

Am I missing something? Do I need to complete some secondary quests first? 

This is bothering me because I remember this happening to me and I can't remember how I got around it.

Have you got any more quests from the scientist or for the base in general? If so do those first. At this point I'm sure it's not bugged it's just inadequately sign posted.

If not does something like this help https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/2/1743342466030969477/?ctp=2

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This is bothering me because I remember this happening to me and I can't remember how I got around it.

Have you got any more quests from the scientist or for the base in general? If so do those first. At this point I'm sure it's not bugged it's just inadequately sign posted.

If not does something like this help https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/2/1743342466030969477/?ctp=2

Nice one - thanks. I've got a quest with the farmer to do so I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll try the info from that link.

• Upvote 1

Doing the living ship mission, really enjoying it as a way of easing me back into this crazy wonderful game. Came across something new, proper gave me the eyeball!

Spoiler

FBD5CFF6-41C0-4853-85F6-2C73CB97ADED.thumb.jpeg.03dbf44e75eb140014b09fe1b518b01b.jpeg

47229255-FFDE-47AC-9830-DCEDF7DD4B65.thumb.jpeg.789a0002c3db865e074a6652aee4a163.jpeg

The mission has some time locks for progress so won’t be getting a new ship any time soon.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, there’s all sorts of weird random stuff in space now. I’ve come across that thing in your spoiler and a few other oddities as well.

As for the living ship missions, oh boy, they make you work for it, with huge 24 hour or more gaps between missions (not including the quicksilver grind just to start the quest). Although I can see why they’ve done it. They don’t want to make it too easy, otherwise everyone would be flying around in one of them within about five minutes. I’ve seen one or two in the Nexus but that’s about it so far.

I've never seen one! They're the space equivalent of the Shrouded Ghost (Sea of Thieves fans will get this reference).

FYI the front page of the forum says

149B044C-0479-4A12-BC86-BCFCE6A477AA.jpeg.81a6b56c4fe3eb252d6ea36ac5084ddc.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1