rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

In these depressing times of having to worry whether about supporting certain devs and publishers is going to be a moral crisis or not No Man's Sky is a radiating beacon of wonderfulness. If I could give them money for all the updates they've done I bloody would.

• Upvote 2

Fixed an exploit that allowed for infinite creation of stellar metals

Did they just fix metal farms?

Amazingly large patch.

Many new technology upgrades have been added, granting abilities such as: long distance inventory transfers to and from freighters; mid-air jetpack recharging; and instantaneous emergency warping.

THANK FUCKING GOD

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Does anyone know how to upgrade their spaceships yet? My Google Fu is weak.

According to this:

https://www.nomanssky.com/synthesis-update/

There are starship outfitting terminals on space stations. I haven't played the new patch yet, I think I'll wait for all the bugs to be ironed out (usually lots after a big update - one patch already).

• Upvote 1

I've not encountered any game breakers, only the icon when you scan something being tiny. I looked for a terminal but couldn't see one, I shall look harder. Ta.

Edit: holy shit I've read those patch notes twice and still not seen the first fucking item is the ship terminal. Fuck me.

Started to put some time into this in VR.  Flying around in VR never gets old.  Not sure on the game itself yet,  probably because I'm the stage of getting to grips and getting overwhelmed.

I was running around a new planet earlier and had some guy flying around in his ship and trying to shoot me dead. But I’ve got no damage turned on in my options so it was completely futile. I even sat down at one point.

• Upvote 1

I do agree. As nice as all these little extras are, it would be great if creatures did more than just wander around aimlessly. The big creatures are the worst, just stomping around in a circle, and occasionally shaking their head like they’re in pain. A far cry from the first ever trailer.

What a very odd addition to spend time developing!

NMS is a long way off the kind of existential experience I was hoping for, but all credit to Hello Games for cracking on!

They have let someone do this as a fun passion project. It's a universe away from overhauling creatures - which are hugely simplistic in generation and interaction for sure.

It's a funny old situation when people are slightly snobby about a free fun update, considering the mess and misdirection of the game early on.

• Upvote 5

Yeah strikes me as someone had already done it and they figured it was a simple addition to the game, so why not? Some people will love it.

• Upvote 1

Its to enhance user content. It's to get people streaming it on YouTube. It's absolutely something they should be doing ahead of animal AI. I think the forum is showing its age a bit here.

Also programming this is probably a third year Comp Sci undergrad project at best. I think it's a very smart addition.

All it requires now is speakers for your space ship so you can play Ride of the Valkyries whist killing the local fauna.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Its to enhance user content. It's to get people streaming it on YouTube. It's absolutely something they should be doing ahead of animal AI. I think the forum is showing its age a bit here.

Also programming this is probably a third year Comp Sci undergrad project at best. I think it's a very smart addition.

Oh, I totally get all that. And it is just a little Easter Egg. So it’s very cool, it’s just the first time they’ve added something that I probably won’t bother with.

As to the creatures, I’m less bothered by the AI, and more interested in size and variety. Large whales out at deep sea, large grazing herbivores etc. 

Starting to get into this.  I've come across a bug whereby in certain areas where I seem to be stuck by an invisible wall and have to jetpack above/around it.  This has happened twice in internal areas (perhaps to a low ceiling).  It happened on the central space station cannot remember the name of it when I was descending a ramp I got stuck and had to jetpack above it, then again when on a Frigate ship I could not ascend some stairs but could not find a way round it.  Not sure whether its a VR specific thing it almost like the game thinks I'm taller than I actually am.  Anyone else come across this?

I got this for Christmas - a present from my kids.  I had no idea what to expect - it's really not like anything else, is it?  Just seeing some of the screenshots on this thread makes me want to log back on and start exploring again!

I'm only a few hours in and I love the slow pace of it, the looks and sounds and the feeling of exploring new worlds.  I can't explain why it appeals to me but.... it just does.  And I've only just unlocked the hyper drive.

Question: does giving new planets stupid names ever get old?  Found a system with 7 planets which I called Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker T, Davison, Baker C and McCoy.  I think my geek levels are now maxed out.

• Upvote 1