rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

56 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Oh so you can just swap controllers or do you have to change settings?

You can just swap controllers on the fly. I found myself having to do it last night, and the switch is seamless. The only issue for me was that I didn't have a clue what the controls on the pad were, so I still ended up getting killed whilst trying to fight/run away from several waves of bad guys. Also the settings were wrong - not inverted Y axis, and quite slow, so I'll have a play somewhere safe when I next load it up and tweak it to give myself a chance when I next find myself beset by space bastards.

Nice - will give that a go tonight.  I was playing with a pad as I didn't like the flight controls with the moves but on foot controls with move are excellent.

Yep it's smooth, you just power on both sets of controls and it swaps when you press any button on either. You know it's swapped when the game stops displaying your hands (move) and shows a ring if light (DS4) or vice versa.  I like to think the DS4 presents the controls of my ship.

lntestingly I don't swap for the exocraft. When controlling these with the moves you grip the wheel with your virtual hands and press the move button to accelerate, works much better than the ship controls

Hmm, I've gone to three 'crashed ship' markers I've found though beacons etc and each time there is no ship there... The maker is on top of a charred mark on the floor, as if a ship should be there, but there's not :( is this a bug?  Or because I haven't left the first system yet?

20190922141300_1.thumb.jpg.441dcc8281229a2273f76d151ef240a2.jpg

My OH pointed out to me the other day if you use your visor on ships in space stations or trading posts one of the pieces of information is the class of it, type, tech slots and cargo slots. I didn't know that. Saves talking to every pilot.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Vimster said:

Another question: where do I get copper from? I find a deposit but it says my laser isn't advanced enough.

You need to dig it out with the terrain manipulator, rather than the mining beam. Also, if you use the smallest setting for the TM, it's more efficient (but takes longer).

• Upvote 1

I think I've pretty much done everything I want to do in the game now, which is a bit of a shame because I still want to play it. I think the whole Activated Indium thing undermines a lot of the game to be honest. Like, why would I spend ages farming and crafting high value items when I can just make 20m units every hour for almost no effort whatsoever? Every other thing you can do in the game to make money just feels pointless and fiddly in comparison. Besides I've got 700m, what's the point in more? I could continue exploring but the planets are too samey, feel like I've seen everything there is to see just about (~100 hours). Which isn't bad at all.. not a huge complaint. I love existing in this game, just everything I do now feels a bit.. yeah, pointless, I suppose.

You could do what I did back in the day: start a new game on an alternate account, set up a base on a planet somewhere with that account. Then switch back to your main account and try to find the same planet.

It really gives you an appreciation for how incredibly vast the NMS universe is. It's quite possible that portals and updates have broken that challenge though. I had to 'use the force' in the galaxy map to find the right direction to point in for my next warp (used a 3rd party location finder website to plot my current position and spun the camera around to what I thought was the right direction)... had a junk craft called the fridge for throwing into black holes that I didn't care about repairing... ahhh those were the days.

I suppose you really have to set your own goals after a while. Did the racing exocraft thing ever gain traction?

2 hours ago, Darwock said:

I suppose you really have to set your own goals after a while. Did the racing exocraft thing ever gain traction?

Interesting you mention this! I actually tried to build a race track.. but was a bit ambitious and built it too big and it wouldn't load properly for any other player joining my game (and the framerate totally collapsed anyway with two of us anywhere near the track). Might have another go using far fewer base parts. Of course, you don't have to use base parts to build a track except for the Initiator and the Checkpoints, but I had this cool image of a man-made track in my head and wanted to see how it would work (it didn't :D).

But yeah, good idea for something to have another go at!

Found a planet called Neptune today. First planet I've found named after one in our solar system. It hadn't been renamed by anyone either, I was the first to discover it. There was another one in the same system that was quite Earth like as well (but not called Earth).

• Upvote 1

I am also still playing this loads on PSVR. Interestingly I have hardly gone anywhere; most the missions i am doing have me pottering around my own star system. If I want to see somewhere new then I summon in the Nexus and take a look at other people's bases; they are generally on really nice/interesting planets and the quality of the bases is going up as time passed. When I first started my galactic grand designs tour it would often be a base computer in the middle or no where. Last night I ended up on a brilliant base, multiple rooms all coloured in matching yellow, with a farm, landing pads and a nearby underwater power plant. The owner was in so I waved at him and gave him some gold. It helps the base screen shots are working now do you can see what they are like before jumping.

The fact that I can wave at this this guy with my own hands, in VR, at the base he created, at a location likely carved out with the terrain editor on one planet out of quintillions slightly boggles my mind. 

• Upvote 1

VR is a is great for immersing you into virtual worlds,  NMS is a virtually unlimited Virtual world generator.  If you could get the hand controllers on the quest working then it would be amazing

Yes that is the default on PSVR. I switched to smooth movement which mean you press the move button to go forward, you use two buttons to rotate left and right and you can kinda strafe using the left move....it's a clunky as it sounds.

Awesome! I get weirdly motion sick if I use any kind of 'normal' videogame movement in VR! 

Having said that, I'll be untethered on the quest so can theoretically wander round unhindered..!

Another complaint about bases, and I think this is a bug that goes back quite a way. I thought it would have been fixed by now. Basically, if you add a foundation beneath a circular base part or underwater base part, the legs extend to meet the floor. Cool! But then come back five or ten minutes later and the fucking legs have disappeared and the base is just floating!! I love base building so these bugs are just so irksome. And whilst it might just seem like a minor thing, It's really souring the whole experience for me.

I started playing this for the first time last night using VR on the PS4 Pro...was quite an overwhelming experience of the GUI, trying to figure out, remember what the tutorial had just said, remember which button does what...I'm sure it will become second nature in time, but initially I found it a bit overwhelming. I managed to get the hermetic seal bit done for the spaceship and left it there...but it certainly felt like a unique experience and using the move controllers to press the HUD display on your hand was kinda cool, felt very futuristic and weird...can imagine that starting to become second nature.

I’m getting a PSVR on Monday and have taken 2 days off work. After all the time I’ve enjoyed with this wonderful game I figure it’s the right one to pop my VR cherry - plus Rez is top 5 game of all time so hyped to get into that! mate is lending me the Resident Evil game...I’ll obvs be too deep into NMS to play it tho... :ph34r:

• Upvote 3

I picked this up recently specifically to play on PSVR, now that they've added support, but it really doesn't look great, does it? I searched online to see if I was the only one complaining, got briefly excited that there was a new patch coming that greatly improved visuals, then realised that was posted a few days ago and I was already running it. I can't imagine what it must have looked like before. Admittedly, I hadn't got around to unpacking my PSVR again in the last few months, since we moved house, and maybe my recollection is imperfect, but I don't remember Astrobot looking this unclear or, for example, that gangster demo in VR Worlds.

But anyway, it's largely academic, because I then gave the non-VR variant a go and I've been loving it so far, a couple of planets and space stations in. I know all the complaints in the early days were about its unfinished nature and lack of content, but at this point it's really quite overwhelming to a newcomer, even with the relatively gentle intro. I just reached the anomaly thing and had another whole level of stuff thrown at me that I wasn't really anticipating. It's great that they've been adding such depth and customisation, and I can see they've tried to lead players through it, but I'm not sure it's necessary to introduce base building quite so early, for example.

I'll probably give VR another try at some point, with lowered expectations, but right now I have copper to mine.

The PSVR version doesn't look great compared to things like astrobot but they are doing different things. In VR you lose a lot with the big landscapes, there just aren't enough pixels available to render much detail, but you gain a huge amount closeer up with a much greater sense of scale and feeling of being in the world, plus you get to use the awesome UI with menus on your wrists.

Ultimately it reminds me of something like the original Star fox; in that the technical limitations are very clear but it gives you a taste of something new which will only get better as the technology approves.

Also, if you have a ps pro, then there is the hope of a pro patch further improving things