rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

I expect people will start on the edge of the same galaxy and head in towards the core.

The games seems to be discover stuff, upgrade ship to travel faster/greater distances and head in towards the core. That's enough at the moment to keep my interest. It might be that's all it is and we've generally seen all that demo'd hence nothing new.

Uncomfortable parallels there with discovering the centre of a certain cube?

Realise this is a minority opinion, but seriously underwhelmed from what I've seen so far. I guess I just like either a story or some self set target rather than ticking fish type 1034567 and mammal type 3456744 off the list whilst shooting a few rocks.

• Upvote 3

I don't have issue with them tweaking systems but are we now happy to accept games being launched as incomplete with the hope they patch in the fun in 6 months or so? Surely the whole idea that you get tagged for discovering planets in a shared universe means people coming in 6 months late are missing out on part of the "fun".

What about the early adopters - do they get penalised by having a game that's not fun to play because in a year it'll maybe be patched in? What happens if it then bombs badly because of poor reviews and lack of features - will a small indie be able to keep afloat long enough to add these features in?

I think Hello Games need to get this right, if it means delaying for 6 months till the game is feature complete then do so because there's a huge internet backlash just waiting around the corner with this one if it doesn't deliver on it's promise - a promise that's been built up by the Devs and Sony pimping it at every game show since Dec 2014.

We are not happy to accept games launched as incomplete but we do it all the time unfortunately. As for delaying, I don't think that will be much of an option with the limited resources available. They will have to continue support by using money coming from sales I suspect.

You can't build a base because the game is all about travelling. You probably need build something lasting that connects with your character for the game to last more than a few hours. This means that they need to let you customize your ships, right?

Building a ship strong enough to reach the core is enough of a concept to make a game work BUT that aspect has to be more than just 'Engine Level 3' unlocked. You have to be able to get other ships, alien tech, B-Wings etc. They have not shown anything like this. I don't think looking at pink sheep and bartering ore for fuel is going to keep most people playing in today's climate.

Once again they are yet to show any game mechanic that looks like fun. The shooting down of a ufo doohickey looked like it was downright dull.

Of course, who really knows. A great example for me of amazing gameplay is GTA4. I used to spend hours trying to pull off motorcycle wheelies and jumps over a culvert down at the airport. Now, if someone was to show someone a video of that, would it look fun? I don't know, probably not. But it felt fun, because the physics mechanics where so entertaining to engage with.

Maybe this will be filled with little gaming nuggets of that nature...if it is, the game will be golden. But I just do not feel it.

I've never really been into games that are exploration for exploration's sake, but this looks awesome. Just one problem: Can anyone explain how exactly it'll work? Having so many planets that "many of them will never be visited by anyone", and the footage of the chap zooming right out of the galaxy and saying "all these stars have explorable solar systems" is setting off my Molyneux Bullshit Klaxon.

Just watched a clip of Sean talking about how the planets are generated on BBC. He says almost nothing is stored on disc, nothing in the cloud so if you leave a planet it's gone and all the info is thrown away, so if you go back down its all generated again.

Sooo, how if I visit another planet do I see if someone else has visited it etc. if there's no stored shared saved data.? IDGI

I imagine it has to save specific info for each planet locally so if you go back as it can't be randomly generated and looking like somewhere else.

I think it may be more of an experience than a game with a few specific player goals - ship upgrading and travel. I wonder where the trading fits in?

Just watched a clip of Sean talking about how the planets are generated on BBC. He says almost nothing is stored on disc, nothing in the cloud so if you leave a planet it's gone and all the info is thrown away, so if you go back down its all generated again.

Sooo, how if I visit another planet do I see if someone else has visited it etc. if there's no stored shared saved data.? IDGI

I imagine it has to save specific info for each planet locally so if you go back as it can't be randomly generated and looking like somewhere else.

I think it may be more of an experience than a game with a few specific player goals - ship upgrading and travel. I wonder where the trading fits in?

The planets aren't random each time; they're generated by the same algorithms for everyone, and everyone's copy of the game uses the same starting seeds; so everyone's universe is identical although your starting location is randomised somewhere around the edge of the universe. Nothing needs to be stored in terms of the makeup of a planet and their flora/fauna because everything is regenerated on demand and identically each time based on the planet co-ordinates and the overarching seeds.

Presumably they track planet co-ordinates online so they can tell you that I've previously discovered the planet you've just arrived at. But nothing beyond that would be needed - although I'd be interested to understand how they manage materials - perhaps each unique player can extract a certain amount of materials from any one location. That way if you arrive at the planet I discovered you'll still find materials whereas I've presumably exhausted my ability to find more?

• Upvote 1

The problems with systems like this and multiplayer games are many and varied.

For instance, planet destruction, you blow something up, leave come back and its there again.

'Major' planetary events are saved to the server I think, so any other players that visit the system/planet will see the change. Obviously terrain destruction can't be stored anywhere as you'd run out memory in no time I would have thought.

So if I systematically eliminate all life on a planet then the next visitor afterwards should find a lifeless rock but until the game registers that fact it's fully populated? Not that they'll have to worry too much, I feel the scale of the game would hide that fact quite well anyway. There's certainly a high degree of smoke and mirrors being used here (not that there's any other way you could make the game work).

Is there realistic planetary gravity in this, in terms of 1G on earth like planets? Are all planets the same size and 1G, or are there smaller planets where you can bound across in fractional G? Are there gas giants with no solid ground? Are planets really planet-sized, e.g. 40,000km in circumference? So, where I mad, I could walk right around a planet back to my ship in hundreds of non-stop real world days? So many questions.

• Upvote 1

Everything about this game sounds really refreshing to me. No stats or levels, no structured linear missions, no moral decisions or poorly judged dialogue and cutscenes - just pure exploration and making up your own reasons for doing so.

This sounds like a game made specifically for those of us who grew up with books like SpaceWreck and other Terran Trade Authority "manuals", and also books like Barlowe's Guide To Extraterrestrials - those books didn't have a plot or central character, they just existed to submerge you in their art and atmosphere and your imagination filled in the blanks. No Man's Sky looks like the gaming equivalent of that. Awesome.

• Upvote 5

So many questions.

Minecraft is procedural but stores destruction, but it uses text files to store every block. Assuming their planets are using marching cubes or some-such, the storage and bandwidth would be massively prohibitive. It's a real shame though. No carving giant penises you can see from space :(

Barlowe's Guide was an awesome book, I got it as a kid. I still remember Dune's Guild-Steermans, with its description of why the alien looked they way it did. Well done Uncle Nasty for the memories. 😀

Sorry wrong spelling re the Steersman.

Everything about this game sounds really refreshing to me. No stats or levels, no structured linear missions, no moral decisions or poorly judged dialogue and cutscenes - just pure exploration and making up your own reasons for doing so.

This sounds like a game made specifically for those of us who grew up with books like SpaceWreck and other Terran Trade Authority "manuals", and also books like Barlowe's Guide To Extraterrestrials - those books didn't have a plot or central character, they just existed to submerge you in their art and atmosphere and your imagination filled in the blanks. No Man's Sky looks like the gaming equivalent of that. Awesome.

You just described me to a tee!

And yet it looks like a huge sign reading 'Disappointment! Apply Here!' to my eyes.

Definitely concerned about destructible elements, rock formations and so on, 'regrowing' on your return to a planet. That would kill immersion stone cold for me, and post Minecraft, Terraria et al a step backwards for 'do anything' type games.

Perhaps things you have desyroyed and changes you've made are stored locally and personal to each individual player.

A potentially infinite number of terrain deformations on potentially thousands of planets you visit. Imagine the storage space that would take up...

A potentially infinite number of terrain deformations on potentially thousands of planets you visit. Imagine the storage space that would take up...

Yeah I don't know how they'll find a way around it. But spending any length of time mining a planet, altering the terrain considerably, only for it to all go back to normal, just seems... pointless. Better not to have destructible environments I would say.

I doubt the game will be designed in a way that requires or encourages back tracking. The whole thing appears to be based around the player's journey towards the centre of the universe, and there appear to be millions of planets to visit along the way. Why go back to a previous planet when there is so much to be actually discovered on new ones?

I doubt the game will be designed in a way that requires or encourages back tracking. The whole thing appears to be based around the player's journey towards the centre of the universe, and there appear to be millions of planets to visit along the way. Why go back to a previous planet when there is so much to be actually discovered on new ones?

Why not? The game appears to be designed so that you can play it how you want. There's ultimately an end game, if you wish to pursue that, but you don't have to. You might just want to spend your time commuting between a handful of planets. And if you discover one you're especially fond of, why wouldn't you want to return at some point?

Creating a game in which you spend 5 minutes on each planet before flying to the next, ad infinitum, would get incredibly dull fairly quickly.

I'm just going by the choices the developers seem to be making. They can't tailor the game for every play style, and everything I've seen and heard so far about the mechanics of the game appears to be in service of the linear macrocosmic interplanetary journey you think is dull.

If you want to hang around one solar system, I'm sure you could, just as you could endlessly replay one world of super mario. Just don't expect the game to be built around your preferred experience. And don't cry if all the goombas you killed come back to life when you restart the level.

Right, at every stage during development, whenever they've demo'd the game or talked about it, they've talked about player choice.

They've likened the experience to sandbox games in which you do as you please - Minecraft, Terraria, GTA.

They stressed that there is an end goal but you can ignore it entirely and just do what you want.

I'm not expecting anything really because like a lot of people, I find their attempts to explain the game confusing, or vague really.

The comparison with Mario is ridiculous btw.

They could conceivably store the grid your on when your doing your terrain deformation. Store the destroyed blocks.

When procedurally generating planets they could check for any evidence of destruction and replace the procedurally generated parts.

they would only have as much data as people could generate then.

That might actually be achievable, massive but possible.

That's how I would do it anyway.

Maybe they'll store data locally about the last ten or twenty planets visited. After that planet twentyone resets. I doubt most people would be going back that far, or would remember the particulars if they did.

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6238913

Go to 14 hours (lol) 15 mins to see a really good two way conversation about both sides of the debate and completely mirrors the people defending or being cynical about game.

Personally, I think it will be like Journey. Not massive amounts of deep gameplay systems but will all be about the sense of discovery. I personally enjoyed the mako missions from Mass Effect 1 and really missed landing on foreign planets in the sequels and exploring (the mostly barren) landscapes so I think like the gametrailers debate says, this game will turn on one type of player and totally turn off another. I think it's going to be highly divisive when it launches.

• Upvote 1