rllmuk
TehStu

No Man's Sky - Beyond update inc. VR out now

This is really confusing though. As I understand it, (having not played the game), it's basically three difficulty modes?

Normal -> Normal

Hard - Survival

Cheatmode -> Creative

Otherwise the game is the same? I mean it makes sense, perhaps after you're feeling done with Normal you either want challenge or you just want to space out while you're in outer space.

• Upvote 1

Evidently I thought it was confusing. It's this:

Explorers can now decide to play with different rule sets, across three game modes:

• Normal mode is the original chilled exploration experience
  • Creative mode allows players to explore the universe without limits, and build a huge base
  • Survival mode really changes the game, creating a much more challenging endurance experience

To me that says Normal mode is unchanged and remains the 'original' experience (it isn't unchanged - it allows base construction and has all the new minerals and blueprints etc), and implies that Creative is the base-building mode, where base-buidling actually applies to all three. And the 'chilled' epithet should go to it, not Normal.

So yeah, cowfields, you're right. That's exactly what it is - three difficulty modes. Other than difficulty the new feature sets apply to all modes.

55 minutes ago, JPickford said:

How is it confusing?

Calling a mode "creative" implies it was, in some way, a different kind of game, when in fact it's actually "unlimited resources so as not to limit creativity", but I appreciate that doesn't have the same ring. I can also appreciate that actually labelling it as "God mode" or something, would imply that it might be shallow or something.

There's a language, visual and literal, in video games that this defies. For one, the super easy mode comes after the hard mode, and the normal mode comes first.  I'm fine with that, it's fun to challenge UX paradigms, because I understand the modes aren't about challenge, but technically that's what they also effectively create. I just wanted to understand which mode I would pick as a new player. 

The new stuff does look a bit animal crossing, and I'm happy with that. I've been meaning to play this, despite all the whining, it still looks like it'd float my spaceboat, and this update does sweeten the deal. I'll make it my reward for when I finish packing for a flat move.

2 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Calling a mode "creative" implies it was, in some way, a different kind of game, when in fact it's actually "unlimited resources so as not to limit creativity", but I appreciate that doesn't have the same ring. I can also appreciate that actually labelling it as "God mode" or something, would imply that it might be shallow or something.

The new stuff does look a bit animal crossing, and I'm happy with that. I've been meaning to play this, despite all the whining, it still looks like it'd float my spaceboat, but this update does sweeten the deal. 

Anybody who has played minecraft knows what "creative" mode means these days.... ;)

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Scribblor said:

Indeed they do. I last about ten minutes before I get bored and want some challenge, but my kids will play on it all day. They actively resist playing survival.

Same, but the baddies in survival mode freak my kids out, so creative it is. Lets my daughter build houses out of emerald.

Yeah, my kids love not having the restrictions that survival mode places on them. It's not so much that survival scared them, it's more that they don't want to have to mine for stuff before building with it.

Just seen that NMS is on sale on the PlayStation store, so I've bought it. Ready to play in 57 minutes apparently.

£24 on Steam this weekend, right? I might have to finally jump in. Can I do fancy Flight stick stuff for the ships and pad for running around? It'd be nice to have another game using those. 

3 minutes ago, Sng said:

What is the appeal of building a base on one planet when the aim of the game is to travel to the centre? Or has the aim changed?

Another way to play is to stay put, looking at those notes. Hence separate saves, I imagine.

Building a base next to a rare spawn would be handy, too.

The update seems to primarily be centred around removing a lot of the busy work from the game.

Which is fine, but that wasn't what made me stop playing.

The planets need to be more interesting. Building a pointless base certainly isn't going to bring me back in.

• Upvote 2

Well the Photo Mode is a disappointment.. it's basically a setting in the options menu that just disables the entire HUD and every single icon/notification. No option to toggle on/off without going into menus. 

• Upvote 2

Think bases are a bit pointless if no one comes to visit. Need to delete these quintillion planets or whatever it is. And just keep about 100.

Okay, survival mode impressions... Well, my nearest ship is 15mins away, there's very little plutonium, a tiny bit a thalium, no zinc so far, some stuff I can't break without a better laser, few caves and I'm on an extremely cold planet.

Have already died :lol:

All good so far :)

• Upvote 1

Played the update for a few hours, there's nothing here to bring me back. Good to see its an ongoing development but I kind of had my fill a long time ago.