rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

World Cup 2014 - Germany win the WORLD CUP

First England World Cup squad since 1954 not to feature a single Tottenham player :(

Probably win it now.

I know, just how the fuck isn't Danny Rose in it.

Being serious the closest Spurs player to the England squad at the moment is probably Harry Kane.

I know, just how the fuck isn't Danny Rose in it.

Being serious the closest Spurs player to the England squad at the moment is probably Harry Kane.

Well Townsend would be in if he wasn't injured, surely.

Well Townsend would be in if he wasn't injured, surely.

No chance. he has been even worse than Aaron Lennon since Christmas, to be honest all of the English players in the Spurs squad have been poor this season with the exception of Walker who was our best outfield player until AVB was sacked.

I'm hoping on the first 11 looking like this.

........ .Hart

Jonno..Cahill..Jags...Baines

.........Gerrard

....Wilshere..Hendo

........Lallana

....Sturridge....Rooney

Barkley, Sterling, Milner and Shaw to make a difference with Lampard, Jones and Wellbeck to stay sat firmly on the bench.

I'm hoping on the first 11 looking like this.

........ .Hart

Jonno..Cahill..Jags...Baines

.........Gerrard

....Wilshere..Hendo

........Lallana

....Sturridge....Rooney

Barkley, Sterling, Milner and Shaw to make a difference with Lampard, Jones and Wellbeck to stay sat firmly on the bench.

That is actually a pretty decent team, I don't suppose there is a cat in hells chance of Roy picking it though.

I'm fine with the squad, I don't think anyone would have picked much different. It's good enough to get out of the group stage if we play well, from then it's all luck anyway.

The worst thing about that squad is how fat half the players look in the photos

Particularly Henderson, who somehow manages to look simultaneously fat and thin.

We need to pick an offensive team and fucking go for it.

Probably be Lampard, Milner, Gerrard midfield then.

not a bad squad at all, but i find the lack of a defensive-minded midfielder worrying. surely Carrick would have been a better bet than Lampard, wouldn't he? he's not the most dynamic player, and he wouldn't be in the starting line-up, but if you needed someone who can come off the bench when we're trying to hold a lead, he can keep possession and is a good defensive reader of the game. Barry would be a similar alternative.

i don't understand the hate Welbeck is getting. well, i do - it's club bias. he's always been good for England. he's a very useful squad player. he's quick, has very good feet, and looks to make things happen. he's an infuriatingly inconsistent finisher, of course, but can score goals, as long as he doesn't have time to think about the finish.

edit - the inclusion of Barkley is exciting. he's a terrific player on his day, and just maybe, given the stage, he can do something special at this tournament. you never know who's going to step up and be a star (one year it was Trevor Sinclair!) so you never know, it could be him. he's got the quality.

• Upvote 1

I don't know, perhaps Roy looked at the players available, the conditions we'll be playing in and decided that holding a lead probably isn't going to be this teams' forte and has decided we may as well be a bit more adventurous and enjoy the experience? If he's taken anything on board from this season he'll stick Gerrard as the defensive screen and let the young 'uns have a go further forward. Henderson has shown how well he can be Gerrard's legs (and he really has been excellent - had he not been suspended I think we would have won the title) and every other midfielder (barring Lampard and Milner) have the ability to do something a bit special.

The more I look at that squad, the more excited I get, actually - it's refreshing to see a pretty attacking group of players. Sure, the traditional balance isn't there, but that's not really worked out for us anyway, has it, so we might as well try something new, right?

Not that it will happen, but I would love to see the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Welbeck, Henderson and Barkley starting for us. They are the future. Go with a 4-3-3, Roy. Stick Gerrard at the base of a 3-man midfield. Wilshere is coming back from an injury still, isn't he?

Welbeck gets the piss ripped out of him, but personally think he's one of those players that plays better for England than he does for United at times.

Not that it will happen, but I would love to see the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Welbeck, Henderson and Barkley starting for us. They are the future. Go with a 4-3-3, Roy. Stick Gerrard at the base of a 3-man midfield. Wilshere is coming back from an injury still, isn't he?

Welbeck gets the piss ripped out of him, but personally think he's one of those players that plays better for England than he does for United at times.

I agree - Similar to my 4-2-3-1 posted earlier, I would start Lallana in place of Welbeck though, but would start with Henderson, Barkley , Sturridge and Sterling at the expense of the old guard (except Gerrard), and that includes Rooney.

Spain have announced their provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, Pepe Reina, David de Gea

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Gerard Pique, Raul Albiol, Juanfran, Jordi Alba, Daniel Carvajal, Alberto Moreno, Cesar Azpilicueta, Javi Martinez

Midfielders: Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Koke, Busquets, Cazorla, Iturraspe, Fabregas, Thiago, Mata, Silva

Forwards: Pedro, Navas, Diego Costa, Villa, Torres, Negredo, Llorente

Isco probably the most notable ommission from the 30.

Who do we think will miss out on the final 23? I suspect it will be Juanfran, Moreno, Itturaspe, Mata, Llorente, Negredo, and possibly Navas.

edit: maybe Thiago actually, they're not exactly short there and he's hardly played all season. Torres should probably be dropped but I'd be amazed if Del Bosque did it.

Belgium:

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet, Koen Casteels, Silvio Proto

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld, Anthony Vanden Borre, Laurent Ciman, Vincent Kompany, Daniel Van Buyten, Thomas Vermaelen, Nicolas Lombaerts, Jan Vertonghen

Midfielders: Axel Witsel, Steven Defour, Marouane Fellaini, Moussa Dembélé, Nacer Chadli, Kevin De Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, Kevin Mirallas, Adnan Januzaj

Attackers: Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi

Januzaj is the notable inclusion I guess, and Thorgan Hazard misses out. One player will be cut from this list for the final 23, presumably Casteels or Proto.

Belgium's squad is full of overrated players.

Gerrard as a defensive screen is going to be a disaster, couldn't we use a proper holding mid for that, like Barry, and let Gerrard loose further up the pitch.

Belgium's squad is full of overrated players.

Gerrard as a defensive screen is going to be a disaster, couldn't we use a proper holding mid for that, like Barry, and let Gerrard loose further up the pitch.

"Let Gerrard loose" :lol:

• Upvote 3

He's best when he can just do his thing. He has a poor sense of positioning, a range of passing that goes from hollywood passes to overhit passes and a roy of the rovers mentality. Just stick him somewhere he might win us matches rather than lose them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Do Belgium only have 2 strikers, or can some of those midfielders play there too?

Why no Isco in the Spain squad? He injured or just been rubbish at Real? Haven't really been following him since his move.

As for England squad I'd like the starting 11 to be:

----------------- Hart (or Forster)

Johnson ---- Cahill --- Jagielka ---- Baines

------------ Hendo ---- Gerrard

----------------- Lallana

------ Oxlade --------------- Sterling

---------------- Sturridge

No chance that Rooney would be benched though.

• Upvote 1

Being a United fan it's fair enough, as you obviously haven't watched him much this season. He'll be fine playing in his Liverpool position but Roy is gonna have to play quick, attacking football.

Why no Isco in the Spain squad? He injured or just been rubbish at Real? .

Hasn't played much lately as Ancelotti switched to a 4-3-3 of Alonso-Modric-Di Maria Bale-Benzema-Ronaldo. I guess he wouldn't have made the 23 anyway so VDB decided to give Iturraspe some props instead.