rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

World Cup 2014 - Germany win the WORLD CUP

Is it fair to say Spain probably still have the best squad? I guess it depends on how brave they are with their selection; Barca have looked at their best recently with a midfield three of Busquets-Iniesta-Cesc, so it'll be interesting to see if Del Bosque has the balls to try that, dropping Xavi and Alonso. Spain also have an in-form striker in Negredo, which they missed in Euro 2012.

Brazil don't seem to have a good No9 although I guess if Oscar and Neymar are really on song that might not matter. The deep midfielders also seem workmanlike at best really.

Argentina are the other ones who probably have the best chance but they look like having the same old issues, at least on paper. Amazing attack of Messi-Aguero-Higuain; good midfield with Mascherano-Di Maria and one other, but an iffy defence, Zabaleta aside.

edit: forgot Germany lol, bit weak at the back possibly and I have doubts about the manager, but they have amazing midfield options.

• Upvote 1

The two tough games are against Uruguay & Italy.

Costa Rica game we will win & I can see us winning one of the either Italy or Uruguay to finish on 6 points.

Two defeats and a draw or scraped win against Costa Rica, more like.

Yep, that's my prediction too. Unless someone can take out Suarez before the end of the season.

The players will be up for playing against Italy & Uruguay. I expect one of those to be a tight affair & we will get 3 points.

Italy qualified with the same points as England but we had a better goal difference.

Uruguay just squeezed through via a play off.

Think positive I think we will get 6 points minimum :)

Ok it was an average performance we had a few chances but could not finish them off.

It's a friendly he was not playing his starting 11.

Ok it was an average performance we had a few chances but could not finish them off.

It's a friendly he was not playing his starting 11.

Against a very average Denmark team who were missing their best player.

Looking at the FA site we have three more friendlies before the WC Campaign.

Peru 30/05

Ecuador 04/06

& Honduras 07/06

Hopefully he will use these three matches to start with his final 11 so they can gel.

When does Roy have to announce his final squad?

Looking at the FA site we have three more friendlies before the WC Campaign.

Peru 30/05

Ecuador 04/06

& Honduras 07/06

Hopefully he will use these three matches to start with his final 11 so they can gel.

When does Roy have to announce his final squad?

After the Peru game - squads have to be announced on the 4th of June, so before the Ecuador game takes place.

Morten Olsen the Danish coach is right - we have good young players but little chance of winning the World Cup this time. Against stronger sides England are not going to create enough chances to win matches.

I've been playing around with the telegraph selector page

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10497297/World-Cup-2014-England-Squad-Selector-pick-your-23-then-compare-to-our-choices.html

It's difficult !!

GK Hart, Foster & maybe Butland

Def Baines, Cahill, Cole, Jagielka, Johnson, Jones, Walker & one other?

Mid Gerrard, Carrick, Wilshere, Henderson, Barkley, Lampard, Lallana & ?

Fwd Rooney, Sturridge, Sterling, Townsend,

With John Terry not looking to return it will be Jagielka & Cahill, just hope they both stay fit.

After that it gets desperate.

Italy qualified with the same points as England but we had a better goal difference.

Italy didn't have San Marino in their group. Only in their country and you don't get goal difference for that.

• Upvote 1

I love the optimism, gospvg! I will probably get slightly infected by it myself, nearer the time. But come on, think of England in any tournament for ages. They drew with Algeria! They only beat Costa Rica (if my memory serves) because Crouchie pulled that guy's ponytail to get the winner! And this time it's in super hot 'n humid Brazil!

When was the last time England won a meaningful match against opposition of the ranking that Italy and Uruguay have?

Crouch's schoolyard antics were against Trinidad & Tobago.

And September 9th, 2009. 5-1 win over 9th ranked Croatia.

Which, sure, it's not 7th or 8th like Uruguay and Italy currently are, but let's not split hairs. When England won 4-1 a year before that, Croatia were 5th.

Yeah, milko you racist!

I think the best thing about England this tournament is that no-one is expecting much from them. A lot of people will be going into it thinking that if England get into the group stages, then it's purely a bonus.

Playing Costa Rica and Uruguay on their own continent is always going to be touch, and the Italy game will be a low-scoring nail biter where if Italy score first we will lose.

Oh, damnit. They all look the same, etc. As far as the ranking question goes I knew someone (and it would likely be Fry) would have the answer to hand and that it wouldn't be that long ago. If I wanted to be unfairly mean on England I'd have said "in a tournament, not the qualifiers" and I bet that would be going back a long way.

2009 eh. Yeah, I remember that, was a good performance in both those games. Lots of hope followed! Heck, Walcott looked like he was gonna be a goalscorer after the 4-1! Capello was going to bring big success!

I just looked at the Guardian's minute-by-minute of the 5-1. Ends with: "Emphatic by England. No one will relish facing them in South Africa next year.". Lol :(

think the best thing about England this tournament is that no-one is expecting much from them. A lot of people will be going into it thinking that if England get into the group stages, then it's purely a bonus.

Dang, they're some pretty low expectations.

If I wanted to be unfairly mean on England I'd have said "in a tournament, not the qualifiers" and I bet that would be going back a long way.

June 7th, 2002, a 1-0 win over third ranked Argentina in the World Cup.

Christ, I'm bored today.