rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

World Cup 2014 - Germany win the WORLD CUP

"Is Miroslav Klose one of the 11 best players in German football? I would argue not but he fits the system. If we had a player like that in the England squad, my bet is wed be saying he was a one trick pony who only scored goals but didnt contribute enough outside the box. It is not always so fashionable in football nowadays, but putting round pegs in round holes works and allowing everyone to get the best of each others different qualities is a winning formula."

So FIFA 14's Chemistry styles are right then...

I feel like I've forgotten what I used to do on an evening before the World Cup.

Anyway, some dull knockout stage games aside I've enjoyed this World Cup more than any other I've been old enough to properly watch.

Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure sharing it with you. :bye:

Wait! Don't go yet, we can drag this out a bit longer by doing some appraisals and stuff.

Match of the tournament

Brazil 1-7 Germany - Going into the game, Brazil hadn't looked convincing all tournament and personally I'd stuck a tenner on a 0-3 scoreline. While a lot of people might have predicted a fairly comfortable German victory, surely no one saw this coming. Quite simply the most shocking World Cup result of all time. Shouts to Holland-Spain and Belgium-USA which were both probably better, but the sheer shock factor of this result means it will live long in the memory.

Goal of the tournament

James Rodriguez vs Uruguay. Tim Cahill's volley was probably harder to pull off, but Hamez's one looked beautiful and I always like it when they go in off the bar.

Player of the tournament

Arjen Robben. Dragged Holland through to the semi-finals after mediocre showings from Van Persie and Sneijder.

Team of the tournament

Keylor Navas - A more interesting pick than Neuer I think, he had an excellent tournament to cap off a brilliant season.

Philipp Lahm - Not a great tournament for him really, but once switched to right back he didn't put a foot wrong, and I can't think of too many other contenders for this spot.

Jerome Boateng - He can be rather clumsy and needs more organisational help than most from his CB partner, but he had a very good tournament. Was superb in the final, and for me was more consistent overall than Hummels, who was largely excellent in the latter stages but complete crap in a couple of group games.

Mario Yepes - Well I can't say I saw this coming from him. Thought he'd be exposed by quick guys on the ground but it just didn't happen, and he was still as good in the air as ever.

Daley Blind - Played as more of a left wing-back a lot of the time, as well as in midfield, but he had a very good tournament, especially in the hammering of Spain where he was superb.

Javier Mascherano - He might not be captain anymore but you can see he's still the vocal leader of this team. He was brilliant from start to finish, winning some truly lovely tackles.

Toni Kroos - Certainly not as good in this World Cup as some are making out, but he probably just did enough to edge out Schweinsteiger and Khedira by virtue of his more consistent group stage performances. He was poor in the final but, along with Khedira, completely dominated in the semi.

James Rodriguez - A great all-round performance in the absence of his side's talisman. Obviously his goals caught the eye, but his passing and even occasionally his tackling were good too. It's just a shame Brazil were allowed to kick him out of the game.

Arjen Robben - Given a more free role than he's used to for Bayern, he was popping up on both flanks and more than made up for the rather blunt contributions from Holland's other attacking players. Played at least an 8/10 in every single game.

Lionel Messi - A selfless tournament from him, he had to often drop very deep to try and get things going himself, as Argentina's midfield offered little from an attacking perspective. Not Messi at his explosive best by any means, but his stats for dribbling, passing and shooting are right up there, he scored some brilliant goals, and his assist for Di Maria was absolutely beautiful.

Thomas Muller - Marcelo may never recover from the roasting Muller gave him, getting in behind time and time again. He always looked a threat whether he was up front or on the flanks.

• Upvote 6

This is going to end up like the Steam thread where everyone posts incredibly interesting lists of everything they have bought in the recent sale.

Game of the tournament is tricky. The Brazil v Germany was probably the best/most amazing 10 minutes of the WC.

Holland ripping Spain apart was also quite amazing.

USA v Belgium was thrilling.

Really enjoyed Algeria v Germany.

I also really enjoyed England v Italy.