rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

World Cup 2014 - Germany win the WORLD CUP

Honda goal not even in that extended highlight montage. I bet they didn't watch the game because it was a 2am kick-off. Bastards.

None of the amazing Swiss goals either, I expected at least one of Shaqiri's if not the amazing injury time winner against Ecuador.

Messi either scored or setup the goals that got Argentina to the final - he also laid a few passes in the semi that shoild have been buried. If he'd scored when straight through on the keeper and Argentina had won then fair enough. As it is, I'd say there aremore worthy candidates but its not super out there.

I dont think you need to win a World Cup to be the best but you need some international achievements; taking your team above its level. The pressures are very different and the greats do both. Messi has done some of it this tournament but he'd need to get a Copa or two at least to be considered as the best. Argentina haven't won anything since the early 90s.

Thinking about it, no-one is expecting a good tournament from Russia or Qatar and the Euros are going to be a bit rubbish now they've got 24 teams in them. This is could easily be the last big international tournament for over 12 years. Sad face.

What are we going to do now for the next 30 odd days till the new footie season kicks off?

Withdrawal symptoms already.

Pre-season starts very soon.. first Man United game is 23rd of July against LA Galaxy. Not too long to wait!

Thinking about it, no-one is expecting a good tournament from Russia or Qatar and the Euros are going to be a bit rubbish now they've got 24 teams in them. This is could easily be the last big international tournament for over 12 years. Sad face.

That is depressing. Still hoping they drop Qatar as a daft joke but probably won't because Blatter..

• Upvote 1

I

Pre-season starts very soon.. first Man United game is 23rd of July against LA Galaxy. Not too long to wait!

I was at Radcliffe vs. Bury on Wednesday, ours as already started!

Robben best player for me.

Pogba won the young player award? That's far more undeserved than Messi!

Who would you have given it to?

I have no idea what I do with my life now.

I always get a bid sad when tournaments finish - mainly with football, but also with the 2012 Olympics (which, being unemployed at the time, I watched loads of). I think when you get something which is so all-encompassing in a country, you get caught-up in that fever, even if you are thousands of miles away. I guess it's a bit of escapism that you can share with loads of other people.

Roll on Euro 2016!

Well this may be out there, but how about 22-year old James Rodriquez?

Recognising the Hyundai Young Player is a valuable promotional tool for football, and an important moment for the future career of the triumphant young player. The FIFA Technical Study Group takes the following criteria into account when selecting the Hyundai Young Player, who must have been born on or after 1 January 1993.

Rodriguez is too old.

Well I'll be. I suppose Joel Campbell would be the only other real contender, then.

What are we going to do now for the next 30 odd days till the new footie season kicks off?

Withdrawal symptoms already.

Most South American leagues are running, MLS is, Korean League is, most Scandinavian Leagues are, loads of football about,

Not to mention the Champions League and Europa League started two weeks ago, and there are two televised games on Tuesday (Slovan Bratislava v The New Saints and KR Reykjavik v Celtic). The Copa Libertadores semi finals start on the 23rd.

There's football if you want it. Not mega hyped, blanket coverage, Best League In The World Or So They Say football, but football nonetheless.

I spent too much time during the World Cup Final thinking about Mascherano's bum hole.

The correct amount of time to think about that is "no time at all".

• Upvote 1

It's a tough one, there's no real standout candidate I suppose. Even so, Pogba was pretty disappointing I thought. Didn't really do anything of note in any game, apart from kick some Honduran guy. Varane wasn't great either; his defending for the goal that knocked out was terrible.

Goalscorer Goetze's girlfriend is pretty hot (and he thinks so too) - as is evident in this pic:

1tnfqYg.jpg

Also, how funny was this moment last night:

rearLE8.jpg

• Upvote 1

I spent too much time during the World Cup Final thinking about Mascherano's bum hole.

The correct amount of time to think about that is "no time at all".

Combine that with Goatze's name and I'm sure there's a tasteless joke in there somewhere...

"In there somewhere." :mellow:

Can I expect any decent highlights of the tournament programme on telly, or is that the end?

There will be an official FIFA World Cup 2014 film, like those that have been airing on BBC 2 early Saturday/Sunday during the World Cup.

Not sure when and where that will be shown.

You can see all the goals on the BBC news website, if thats any help, there were some crackers for sure.

I think Germany deserved to win, i can think of anyone else who has been more deserving really or stood out, overall a pretty good tournament i have to say.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/germany/10962088/World-Cup-2014-Why-selfish-England-must-learn-from-selfless-Germany.html

I have been on an England team bus after an exit in a major tournament when the biggest concern of some players was whether they will only get a five out of 10 in the match reports the next day.

Which one - 2000? (Can't have been 2006 because his injury meant he came back separately from everyone else... :sherlock: )

2002 probably? We were quite good in that as well.

I liked Gary Neville's comments today - I'm glad someone said it. Yes England need a system in place from grassroots up to Senior level but we have to stop this copycat syndrome. 4 years ago the media called for tikkyfuckingtakka setup across the country and now they will call for a German approach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/germany/10962088/World-Cup-2014-Why-selfish-England-must-learn-from-selfless-Germany.html

Which one - 2000? (Can't have been 2006 because his injury meant he came back separately from everyone else... :sherlock: )

Good article by the way

"

I once asked my good friend Didi Hamann what he considered the biggest difference between German and English football. He defined it to me as follows. “If an English player is booked in a World Cup semi-final, and it means he can’t play in the final, he starts crying on the pitch,” said Didi. “If it happens to a German, he puts it out of his mind and then scores the winning goal. One player is thinking about himself and the other his team.”"

"Is Miroslav Klose one of the 11 best players in German football? I would argue not but he fits the system. If we had a player like that in the England squad, my bet is we’d be saying he was a one trick pony who ‘only’ scored goals but didn’t contribute enough outside the box. It is not always so fashionable in football nowadays, but putting round pegs in round holes works and allowing everyone to get the best of each others different qualities is a winning formula."

2002 probably? We were quite good in that as well.

I liked Gary Neville's comments today - I'm glad someone said it. Yes England need a system in place from grassroots up to Senior level but we have to stop this copycat syndrome. 4 years ago the media called for tikkyfuckingtakka setup across the country and now they will call for a German approach.

I don't recall that. I recall investment in youth and more trainers and youth managers with appropriate FIFA credentials. Pretty much the same as what is being identified as key to Germany's success. The other stuff like an overhaul of how the budesliga is run is basically impossible to implement with the money in the English game.

• Upvote 1

I think "tikkyfuckingtakka" is England-code for Futsal.

I think we need to get the guy on here who said England need to model themselves on the cool, laid back, relaxed, samba stylings, attitude to fair play, silky skills and passionate anthem singing of the Brazilian team. He should see the error of his ways first before we worry about whether we should ape the coaching setup of France, Spain or Germany.

I thought England needed more pashun? If they are bursting into tears at the thought of a bulldog then they should be banned from playing for England.

• Upvote 1