rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gospvg

World Cup 2014 - Germany win the WORLD CUP

Congratulations, Germany.

:sealclap:

Does that break the "team from another continent" duck too?

It breaks the European team winning in the Americas duck. Spain broke the Euro team winning in the Souther Hemisphere duck in 2010.

Deserved winners, by far the best team throughout the tournament.

Plus they smashed David Luiz to bits

• Upvote 1

Schweini MotM surely. Boateng also had a great game and has had a better tournament than Hummels overall for me. Genuinely thought Özil was their best attacking player tonight but I'll probably be told he's stealing a living by someone. Lahm was good as well.

Mascherano probably Arg's best player again, definitely their player of the tournament. Messi did nothing in the semi or final sadly. Seemed to get increasingly knackered as it went on. Forgot to pack his PEDs maybe?

"Messi can't be regarded as one of the best ever until he wins a World Cup".

Presumably that means Cristiano Ronaldo isn't ever going to be in the top ten, and Stephane Gui'varch is.

I feel bad for Messi, the pressure everyone puts on him to perform must be stressful. And I don't agree with the opinion that until he wins the World Cup he can't be seen as one of the best. For me he already is in the top tier of all time footballers.

• Upvote 1

Schurrle made a difference when he came on, too.

If they can sort out their defence with some pace and full-backs, then they could do a Spain in the next few tournaments.

Face it, the champions league is a higher quality competition and Messi has shone there.

• Upvote 3

Plus they smashed David Luiz to bits

Yeah, their demolition of Brazil was fantastic to watch.

So correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the last 2 World Cup winners sent their stars through the U21s tournaments even though they could have gone into the main teams. Clearly we need to restructure and rethink how we coach internationally. Obviously it's not as easy as just doing thay but everything we've been doing its cleary just wrong.

• Upvote 1

I hate the FIFA theme tune. It just screams 'corrupt arseholes'.

EDIT: Ah good, booing of Blatter present and correct.

Why I love Germany - "2000 euros" we need to restructure - to fuck with it we want to win (14 years later ... despite getting to a final and 2 semis anyway) WORLD CHAMPS

Why I hate us - "2000 euros, 2008 failure, 2010 world cup" - We need to restructure - we need to follow "flavour of the month" - we need to invest in coaching - we need to do this from grass roots up - we need to do this, do that. Days later.... "PREMIER LEAGUE RULES!" Meanwhile at the abandoned England military planning HQ a tumbleweed gets tangled in the answering phone system. Roll on 5 - 10 - 15 years - "We should do better, wahhh wahhhhh wahhhhhh"

"Messi can't be regarded as one of the best ever until he wins a World Cup".

Presumably that means Cristiano Ronaldo isn't ever going to be in the top ten, and Stephane Gui'varch is.

He didn't mean that you're in the top tier if you win a World Cup, though.

'... the maradonna's, the Pele's'

Why dont they just say maradonna or pele?

Ah, it's a common mistake, but you're forgetting about Tom Maradona and Fred Pele (he also wasn't bad at tennis).

England did as well, I don't think this is a case of promoting them too early. The England team in the Under-21 final in 2009 was

England U21: Loach, Cranie (Gardner 80), Richards, Onuoha (Mancienne 46), Gibbs, Cattermole, Muamba (Rodwell 77), Noble, Milner, Walcott, Johnson.
Subs Not Used: Lewis, Taylor, Stearman, Tomkins, Driver, Rose.

Six German players made their 2014 squad of the England side only Milner has made it.