IGNORED

So now that Sony has comfortably won gen 8...

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

I do wonder if we'll see a pretty even split again this gen, and if Nintendo will release another disruptive piece of gaming tech mid-cycle.

It's been a 2 horse race ever since Nintendo fumbled out of the gate, and is looking like one horse is going to put a bit of space between itself and the other horse too.

I know everybody and their dog in the industry has to boilerplate anything they say about Nintendo with the standard "don't count them out/bet against them", but, if you stop and spend a few idle minutes thinking what cheap, or about to be cheap existing idea remains underused in gaming that would wow people enough, for long enough, to enable Nintendo to repeat the Wii or DS, I can't think of any, neither can Apple, considering they are also treading water, though they did recently buyout PrimeSense of Israel, the company which invented the Kinect technology.

hmm... counting out the company which has a handheld device that is currently outselling *everything* else out on the market combined :coffee:

It's been a 2 horse race ever since Nintendo fumbled out of the gate, and is looking like one horse is going to put a bit of space between itself and the other horse too.

know everybody and their dog in the industry has to boilerplate anything they say about Nintendo with the standard "don't count them out/bet against them", but, if you stop and spend a few idle minutes thinking what cheap, or about to be cheap existing idea remains underused in gaming that would wow people enough, for long enough, to enable Nintendo to repeat the Wii or DS, I can't think of any, neither can Apple, considering they are also treading water, though they did recently buyout PrimeSense of Israel, the company which invented the Kinect technology.

In 2004 they released a device with two screens which came from left-field. Two screens! How ridiculous is that?!

Wow. If that pattern holds for everyone else in the world but you, it suggests that Occulus is outselling 3DS by six billion units!

I see your point.

But from a gamers perspective its the most exciting thing out there really. Proper HD immersion.

Put all that Ninty magic aside - they're simply not going to release anything that will be that good. Their best innovation for a gamer (or from a gamers point of view) is done. dusted. Their latest was a pointless screen.

And i can see why other devs think they're kinda done.

Immersion will be the big thing. It'll go perfectly with this gen's HD graphics power. Even if it doesn't reach massmarket - the masses know jackshit. As a gamer - your going to love it because it will put you in the game.

Think back when the Troc did those 3D arcade machines. There were people quite happy to put on headsets in a populated place - so why would a gamer care he's wearing one? I don't see that issue as a biggie.

Even if they released the same thing and it better - it would be on a Ninty device. I know its harsh but i think its pretty factual.

It's not even EA who came up with that term, DICE did, makes sense from their perspective I suppose, the polygon is the paramount means of realising gameworlds, anything BP doesn't matter, a bit like the date system followed by Western countries :P BC and AD.

Which is a shame because it means DICE did their best game in BP.

hmm... counting out the company which has a handheld device that is currently outselling *everything* else out on the market combined :coffee:

Their year old TV console was outsold by day 3 by one and on day 1 by its other competitor.

It's been the only game in town for 98% of its time on sale and it's already last.

The 3DS will keep them in the game sure but for TV consoles? I can't begin to see what would make the Wii U this generation's best seller.

Is it? It is rather telling in a topic with a header suggesting home console domination by one company that people would bring up success in another field as a counterpoint, though if anybody paid attention to the numbers, they might notice the 3DS was hardly firing on all cylinders either, even with practically zero dedicated handheld competition...

I assume most believe the trollish header to be correct, otherwise they'd be challenging that instead of going off on a tangent to defend the outlook for one of the combatants in the console war. I'll give it another year or two, but I'm starting to think Nintendo are terminal in home consoles, too conservative leadership and no interest in real diversification or fixing their long standing problems, no amount of Mario is going to fix that.

I'll give it another year or two, but I'm starting to think Nintendo are terminal in home consoles, too conservative leadership and no interest in real diversification or fixing their long standing problems, no amount of Mario is going to fix that.

Mushashi, you really are an odd one. You think that the company which won the last generation sales wise, and almost certainly profit wise as well given the list of massive sellers they had on their own machine, is terminally injured because their existing home unit is not selling as well as they wanted.

Most people would say they are definitely in trouble in the home race this gen - but terminally injured? Not even close.

I think i can see his point. Anyhow for me it offers nothing although i suspect i'm on my own there.

I still maintain that its for kids now.

I'm sure new Mario or MK are great but why would i play them when i can have games more suited to me.

But many parents will buy it for their kids if they wanted one. And thats how they win - at least IMO.

I don't think theres anything wrong with that if its making them cash. But to me they win the generation by selling to an age group i'm not part of.

I still maintain that its for kids now.

Because it's got bright primary colours? That new Mario, all bright and colourful - just has to be for kids. And Windwaker, what a kiddy cartoon! No 'adult' could ever get entertainment out of that, right?

So both the PS4 and the XBone have sold over 4 million units now? Wow, they really have had good starts.

Being British, I'm talking UK.

But the PS4 is indeed already at 2.2 million or so I believe so from 13 months behind it's closing VERY fast.

I reckon both consoles could easily outsell the Wii U worldwide total by the New Year.

Sony's production rate will probably prevent that from happening, their 5 Million forecast by April 2014 would indicate they don't have the capacity to push out another 2 Million into consumer hands by the New Year, and Nintendo will shift a certain amount of boxes over the Christmas period too, current analyst forecasts are around the 6 Million mark for this year, so nobody believes they'll hit the 9 Million mark, but at the same time, not even Michael "Nintendo fanboys love me" Pachter is that downbeat on their short term performance. They should remain ahead in total sales for a while longer, next Christmas will be the point at which things will start to settle, both Microsoft and Sony will be in all territories and the teething problems will be sorted and any game which will save Nintendo will have been released.

Because it's got bright primary colours? That new Mario, all bright and colourful - just has to be for kids. And Windwaker, what a kiddy cartoon! No 'adult' could ever get entertainment out of that, right?

No self-respecting one anyway

So both the PS4 and the XBone have sold over 4 million units now? Wow, they really have had good starts.

The PS4 has sold three times as many Wii Us in the UK at least.

Edit: winding up Nintendo fanboys is like shooting a stranded whale in a children's swimming pool

Mushashi, you really are an odd one. You think that the company which won the last generation sales wise, and almost certainly profit wise as well given the list of massive sellers they had on their own machine, is terminally injured because their existing home unit is not selling as well as they wanted.

Most people would say they are definitely in trouble in the home race this gen - but terminally injured? Not even close.

I said I'll give it another year or two, but I'll point out the long term trend that you have disagreed with ever since I brought it up ages ago. If Nintendo get new fans every generation, and also retain a core fanbase, why then have they in aggregate lost customers for their home consoles ever since 1990? (with the exception of the cultural phenomenom called the Wii whose success is currently proving no use whatsoever in customer retention, with the Wii U behaving like a successor to the GameCube, rather than the most popular home console Nintendo have ever made) and the Wii U is currently very clearly on track to continue the long term downtrend.