rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

I've finally started playing and the first hour at least looks gorgeous and most importantly feels like Shenmue but on a modern console with improved controls. I've just had a nice evening stroll from the village back to Shenhua's house, where she's cooking me a meal, 18 years after I first set foot inside.

• Upvote 3

@Lumpy haha  no worries.  For the record I loved Shenmue, loved Shenmue 2, and I'm sticking with 3 because I really want to do more Shenmue.  I think that this is a £29 fan project, not a £50 boxed release, so I shouldn't really be complaining because I got it 3 weeks after release for £29 at Argos.  I'm resetting my expectations and cracking on with it tomorrow. 

This is a Kickstarter game it was NEVER going to be a £50 boxed game by today’s standards.
This is IMO why you have to forgive it certain things. I’m surprised they released it as such TBH, I didn’t realise they had.

Other thing that surprises me is that you @dumpstersay you loved 1 and 2 but you’ve only spent a ‘sale’ price of £29, as you weren’t prepared to spend the full retail amount to play the latest instalment. Why didn’t you want to support it more?

I’m not having a go, just genuinely interested to know.

I think they were relying on people like you to rush out and buy the full retail version on release if you were a fan but weren’t part of the Kickstarter. Looks like their gamble hasn’t paid off.

From my POV I was just happy to have something. I’ve backed Kickstarter’s that have lead to nothing, so the fact that we got a game that is pretty damn faithful to the originals, means I couldn’t have asked for more.

This is possibly a causing factor on some of the polar opinions.

• Upvote 1

TBH I don't think Deep Silver expected to shift many copies at full price. They probably knew the fans who either missed out on the kickstarter, or wanted to double dip for collections sake would pick it up early and it would sell to people 'on the fence' after a price cut, a bit like that recent Terminator game (also Deep Silver).

When it was reduced to $35 on black friday in the US it was top of the charts for all PS4 sales on both Best Buy and Amazon until they sold out. After all a $25 discount sounds better than a $5 discount had they launched at mid price.

Pretty shrewd move IMO. 

There's a big QoL patch due for mid January and DLC still to come so this isn't the last we've seen of Shenmue yet. :D

• Upvote 1

What’s included in the QoL patch? I’m nearly finished Shenmue 2 and will hold off starting the third game if the patch improves a lot. 

I just haven't paid full price for any game in ages @Goemon, and i can't remember there being a game I wanted that wasn't half price within a short space of time. There's an abundance of choice and i have a pile of unplayed games to go back to so there isn't any need to be there on day one. I

used to preorder, queue on launch day, but these days I'm happy to wait until a game drops to £20, and you never have to wait that long.

12 minutes ago, Fargo said:

What’s included in the QoL patch? I’m nearly finished Shenmue 2 and will hold off starting the third game if the patch improves a lot. 

No details as yet but it's been worked on since late November. TBH Shenmue III is perfectly playable as it is, expecting framerate improvements in the second area mainly.

• Upvote 1

Only thing I wanted fixed was the music konking out.

It always comes back, so it’s not a killer but sometimes you transition areas and the music doesn’t pick up and you end up walking around in silence for a bit.

Actually, one QoL fix I’d like to see is faster replay of the pachinko style ball games. They realised people wanted to buy more than one capsule toy so they have that flow real quick but for the pachinko games it’s back to the person, dialog, try again, select the board you want, watch the camera pan. I’m like, just put me back up to the top of the board I was on!

• Upvote 1

Courtesy of Famitsu (machine translated, so a bit broken)

y_5e049c08d28e4.jpg

YS NET Hiroshi Suzuki

CEO. Creates the "Virtua Fighter" and "Shenmue" series. On November 19, 2019, he released Shenmue III for PlayStation 4 and PC.

Keywords for 2020

" Start a new project "

Aspirations for 2020

" Shenmue III taking advantage of the know-how", devoted to further free the world of vision.

What to look out for in 2020

Of course it is the Olympics. Thank you for " Mario & Sonic at Tokyo 2020 Olympics ". I'm also interested in " Mulan ".

2 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

What is up with the voice acting? It's like they're on their deathbed.

I agree.  I have abandoned this in favour of Tomb Raider that is £3.99 on PSN. In the words of Deadly Premonion, at times we must purge things from this world because they should not exist. Even if it means losing someone that you love.  Shenmue was an incredible achievement in 2001 and has some wonderful memories for me.  The remakes were very welcome and i really enjoyed going back to that world.  But Shenmue 3 is just a poor game however you look at it, with so many issues that are unforgivable in 2019.  It's disappointed me more than any other game ever, and I really wish they had left Shenmue as a happy memory, rather than spoil things with a poor follow up.

58 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I agree.  I have abandoned this in favour of Tomb Raider that is £3.99 on PSN. In the words of Deadly Premonion, at times we must purge things from this world because they should not exist. Even if it means losing someone that you love.  Shenmue was an incredible achievement in 2001 and has some wonderful memories for me.  The remakes were very welcome and i really enjoyed going back to that world.  But Shenmue 3 is just a poor game however you look at it, with so many issues that are unforgivable in 2019.  It's disappointed me more than any other game ever, and I really wish they had left Shenmue as a happy memory, rather than spoil things with a poor follow up.

Respectfully, I think that's a really harsh view on it. Personally I'm continuing to have a great deal of fun with it and we are already planning another play through with a view to going straight through all three. It continues to be a favourite game series for me, but it was never gonna tick all the boxes for everyone, especially not as the aim of it was to keep one foot in the past. Personally I don't think that marks it out as objectively a poor game though.

It saddens me that not everyone is enjoying it but what can you do?

/shrugs

• Upvote 4

I am being a bit harsh, and reading that back it's a little over the top.  I think the main issue for me is that it released in stores at £50, and whilst it did drop in price after a few weeks I think it was wrong of them to treat this like any other game when it clearly is a project for the fans and not a full retail commercial release. I think the disappointment comes from playing it and getting frustrated with overly wordy conversations and repetitive dialogue (or even stuff that makes no sense:  "Excuse me" - "Yeah! Let's play!"  "I'm looking for a stonemason" - "Bye!" "I see") and I'd really love to keep playing but I'm not enjoying it at all. 

The thing is, all the niggles are small things, but they all come together to make it a slow and frustrating experience.  A decent patch could fix this and I'd really enjoy it.  Fingers crossed.

Yeah perhaps it would have been better launching at £30 but then perhaps if you're a fan you wouldn't mind. I've just bought Bloodstained for the PS4 and while it is very clearly a superb game, it is riddled with bugs even at my early stage with it. I've had text missing from dialogue boxes, it's crashed once completely (luckily I'd just saved my game). Hell, if I was being really harsh I might complain about the chuggy frame rates on occasion and what feels like often a lack of response from your character. These things pale as you enjoy the game, but for £50 rather than the £20 I paid? Well I may not have been so philosophical about it and may have been angry about the drip feed of patches that clearly still hasn't fixed things. I suppose there's different ways to look at these things.

FWIW I haven't had Shenmue III wig out at all so far, compared to Bloodstained. It has it's problems but it's never once crashed and thrown me out. As it stands I was happy to have backed it at £40 and don't feel cheated or anything.

Plus I love the dialogue in Shenmue lol, and the slow pace. I'm a big fan of slower paced games like this and Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon etc. Probably says something about me....

• Upvote 2

3 is objectively the best game in the series, the way the various systems feed into each other is far more sophisticated than the originals. They modernised it just enough for me, while maintaining those undoubted Shenmue vibes. It’s a glorious achievement.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Advocating book burning in response to being disappointed with Shenmue III has got to be the weirdest thing I've ever read on this forum.

• Upvote 1

Last day in Bailu on my 2nd play :(

Maxed out 1IP

80745627_10157620306595803_4803154805784

Took in some views

81006400_10157620306455803_3424258471686

Found that last herb....took AGES that did. Somehow I managed to miss this and it's right at the bloody start

80624851_10157620306630803_8501966162765

81481042_10157620313710803_6563123719537

and of course...topped the woodchopping PB

80898834_10157620306715803_8743093048465

Just noticed on my second playthrough...if you don't check into the hotel , you can stay out till 11pm 

second location

81581566_10157620236985803_3657094953814

81921928_10157620236810803_8965279411859

• Upvote 2

Almost done with it and it's obvious that Yu has given up on the story. Pretty much nothing happens in 3. It's actually quite funny that some people (myself included) hoped to see the story being concluded in 3 when in reality the absolute opposite is the case. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

What is up with the voice acting? It's like they're on their deathbed.

The problem is you’re not playing it in Japanese with subtitles 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Almost done with it and it's obvious that Yu has given up on the story. Pretty much nothing happens in 3. It's actually quite funny that some people (myself included) hoped to see the story being concluded in 3 when in reality the absolute opposite is the case. 

Quite funny yes, in the sense that those people had completely made up the idea that it was going to be finished in this game in their head.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Advocating book burning in response to being disappointed with Shenmue III has got to be the weirdest thing I've ever read on this forum.

It's a line from Deadly Premonition, the most Shenmue game since Shenmue.  A wonderful experience and great game. 

46 minutes ago, Benny said:

Quite funny yes, in the sense that those people had completely made up the idea that it was going to be finished in this game in their head.

I too had hoped he would use this 3rd chapter to bring the series to a conclusion because deep down I really can't see them making a Shenmue 4, 5 and 6.  Happy to be proven wrong though.  Tonight I played for an hour and a young boy asked me to go and ask the lady I have been sparring with for the last few days if she had a boyfriend.  Despite this being about 6 days in, and her sparring with me every day, she didn't recognise me.  After the fight she offered me the chance to spar with her in future.  She also says "do you want to spar with me? Please and thank you!" which is a bit weak.  Trouble is, it's one patch away from being great. All it needs is skippable dialogue (being able to skip resets each day which is frustrating) and the rough edges smoothing out.  Add some "Hello again Ryo!" dialogue instead of playing the same lines fresh every time. 

I'm back on the fence to be honest, I quite enjoyed chopping wood to get money to buy onions to get strength to beat up the thugs tonight.  It just seemed to take an age to do it. 

It feels like Shenmue 3 was written in 2001 and finished, and they spent the last three years working on an emulator for it.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

It's a line from Deadly Premonition, the most Shenmue game since Shenmue.  A wonderful experience and great game. 

I too had hoped he would use this 3rd chapter to bring the series to a conclusion because deep down I really can't see them making a Shenmue 4, 5 and 6.  Happy to be proven wrong though.  Tonight I played for an hour and a young boy asked me to go and ask the lady I have been sparring with for the last few days if she had a boyfriend.  Despite this being about 6 days in, and her sparring with me every day, she didn't recognise me.  After the fight she offered me the chance to spar with her in future.  She also says "do you want to spar with me? Please and thank you!" which is a bit weak.  Trouble is, it's one patch away from being great. All it needs is skippable dialogue (being able to skip resets each day which is frustrating) and the rough edges smoothing out.  Add some "Hello again Ryo!" dialogue instead of playing the same lines fresh every time. 

I'm back on the fence to be honest, I quite enjoyed chopping wood to get money to buy onions to get strength to beat up the thugs tonight.  It just seemed to take an age to do it. 

It feels like Shenmue 3 was written in 2001 and finished, and they spent the last three years working on an emulator for it.

7B994065-4B28-4740-BD38-0D8422329671.gif.d4c6d11e05ae1198bb7ca60a7c6e01ba.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Speaking of Swery/Deadly Premonition

"Unique design, nostalgia, atmosphere, and humanism that cannot be found in any other game.
If you look for flaws, you'll be able to find as many as you like. There are lots of places where I felt "If you just changed this a little, it'd be way more convenient, or easier to deal with." But is that really necessary to create something that's truly fun, or to create a game that truly stands on its own? As I asked myself these questions, I was shocked by what I saw as good and bad about the game. No one can truly imitate this game's creative spirit, and if they try to, they get burned, badly. In the end, I was overwhelmed by the fear and reverence I felt toward a creator who has taught me a great deal."

• Upvote 5

21 hours ago, alex3d said:

And done. There's nothing more I could add. 

It's sad that Shenmue 3 drove a wedge between the Shenmue community with many fans celebrating the game and many being disappointed by it (e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comments/e1pvjl/just_finished_shenmue_iii_im_extremely or https://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comments/ef2d6g/as_a_200000_dollar_backer_of_the_shenmue_3 which are reviews I completely agree with it). That divide certainly won't be good for the franchise.

• Upvote 1

Somehow, I missed all of this. The whole thing just passed me by. I have both the originals, in English and Japanese, and multiple Dreamcasts... but I gave up hope of Shenmue years ago. I just discovered 3 exists and well, I should probably play it!

• Upvote 1