rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

4 hours ago, alex3d said:

I played both 1 & 2 back in the DC days and am a huge Shenmue fan. I'm not really liking 3 so far though. I'm pretty much speechless that Yu hasn't tightened up the story.

And yes, I did switch to Japanese now, which makes it more bearable. What do you mean by skippable though? Dialogue can't be skipped?

I really can't comprehend someone being a 'huge Shenmue fan' and yet being disappointed that Shenmue III is, as it turns out, more fucking glorious Shenmue. 

It does everything so right. The deliberately slow pace of the story so far is right on par with Shenmue 1's.

lol. It is, yes. Times have changed though and some sort of evolution is okay to have. I don't want to see another 20 years between Shenmue 3 and the series' story ending. I'd rather Yu skipped some of the "play the mini game and I tell you" crap. 

• Downvote 4
  • Empathy 1

6 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Skip the mini games? There's no way on earth you've played a Shenmue game before.

It's interesting that people equate Shenmue with its ingame arcade or the forklift driving. The ingame arcade was a style element to place the game in its 80s era, to make Dobuita feel more alive and to pass time in what was back then a integral part of the game (not being able to skip the waiting time). Shenmue 2 rightly deviated from that system in that it allowed players to fast forward. The devs realised that time does play a role, but so does the story as the driving force. Viewing Shenmue as a game characterised by by wood choping and dice rolling means holding on to a version of the game that has already evolved with Shenmue 2.

• Upvote 1

The necessity of the crate-lifting and book-airing and money-saving and leaf-catching of Shenmue 2 says otherwise though. The games have always guided the player towards living in the world, and getting by on your own resources. They're not and never have been about rushing through the story. 

• Upvote 4

Kind reminder: the game/devs offered players the option of not paying the Come Over Guest House owner and instead progressing with the story. This has got nothing to do with rushing.

12 hours ago, alex3d said:

Kind reminder: the game/devs offered players the option of not paying the Come Over Guest House owner and instead progressing with the story. This has got nothing to do with rushing.

Wait, what happens if you don’t pay the man?

You need money in the first game to buy the HK ticket. You need money in the second game to see Ren and pay the entrance fee to the street fights in Kowloon. You need money for various reasons in 3, just there's way more (and fun) ways of making money now. 

Shenmue and making money to progress is part of the dna. Whether that's by working, gambling or pawning... that's down to the player. 

I know it's been a very long time between games but that's no excuse for revisionist history 

• Upvote 2

Oh man, gutted.

I just maxed out my Kung Fu. Looks like level 44 is the top.

Wouldn’t care but I had literally just visited every move shop and got a breakdown of moves, what I was missing, where was cheapest etc. Bought my first moves, trained then up and I’ve hit the cap :( There’s still sooo many moves to buy.

Anyway I celebrated hitting the cap by chinning 10th Duan Golden Dragon at the local temple. Next stop the Red Snakes.

• Upvote 1

Nothing yet - Cedric (Shinbya productions) producer has dropped hints here and there, but Suzuki was recently in Shanghai on a work related trip - there's photos of him taking pictures of shop signs and dresses which seem a bit too on point for a tourist .

There'a also this recent interview with IGN Japan where he explained the lack of throw moves:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/12/part-3-shenmue-discussion-with-yu.html

Suzuki talks about the motion capture technology used:

"The sensors we use now for in-house motion capture aren't the optical type. They're ones which contain various accelerometers and gravity sensors, and they're quite large. If they're slammed against the ground when someone is thrown, they could break or the actor might be injured. So, that's why throws were left out!" Suzuki jokes, causing laughter among the group.

He goes on to clarify: "They're something that may be put into the next game. I had to give up on them this time because of resource constraints".

It was a question of obtaining the right balance:

"If we had put in throw moves, the total amount of motion animations we could have included might have been reduced to 10%" says Suzuki.

"The motions improved remarkably over time when I was play-testing", adds Takeuchi. "Yu-san told me that if I found any motions that didn't feel right, they would be fixed up".

Notice the bold :)

• Upvote 1

Spent a literal evening in Shenmue fighting Gold Tiger over and over till i had the emergency dodge timing down right. By the time night fell In the last bout he couldn't touch me. 

GON - everyday without neglect, to keep training :D

• Upvote 2

Nice!

I got my first ‘ring out’ earlier. I’ve trained up a move called Rendering Palm that is 3 punches into an hadoken style double palm, which if hit correctly, will send them flying back off their feet.

Landed it on an 8th Duan in Rose Garden and it blasted him over the fence.

I love seeing all the moves from VF. As a big fan of VF it adds an extra level of warm fuzziness. 
I wonder if this game had retained being the story of Akira and the VF crew instead of Ryo then more people might have been more drawn to it.

• Upvote 3

Well seeing the current state of Virtua Fighter, I doubt it would have made much difference. 

There's a cool getup for Ryo that makes him look more Akira-esque:

Spoiler

d1QK2L4.png

Anyway here's some none spoiler screens from todays sesh:

5E7dCYs.jpg

bnBSgT5.jpg

7rhZPsC.jpg

cE29ihl.jpg

NZVoB3h.jpg

New PB!

RYruDSd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking at the Shenmue chapter plan you posted earlier @Down by Law, it does make me think if Shenmue is still actually, secretly, an Akira Yuki origin story. Ryo seems to be growing into someone, seeing as SIII is pretty much all about his development as a martial artist. I just wonder if Suzuki hasn't been able to completely forget the series' VF RPG roots...

Lots of complaints online that Ryo should be stronger than he actually is at the beginning of the game, but I disagree. Bailu is a village of martial artists, it's in their history and their blood. Hong Kong upstarts were just small fry... 

• Upvote 1

Well then...  I'm a bit late to the party here because I haven't spent more than £19,99 on a game in ages, but it's Christmas, it's Shenmue, and it's dropped to £29.99 in Argos so I took the plunge.

I loved Shenmue.  I remember having it on demo in the shop, selling Dreamcasts on the strength of it. I loved Shenmue 2, and played it recently on Xbox.  When it ended, that end music almost made me well up.  Both games are brilliant, and I recently played through the remasters on PS4 and loved every minute, completing both games. The remasters looked pretty great on the PS4, proving how good the originals were. 

Shenmue 3 then..  I was excited that it exists at all.  It's a testament to the fact that there are people out there who wanted to see the story continued and were prepared to put the money up to make sure it happened.  And when I first played it I had a big smile on my face as those familiar characters reintroduced me to that world - holy shit! Shenmue 3!!!! They did it! 

Here's the thing.  It really is Shenmue 3.  It could have been written straight after the last Dreamcast game and hidden in a vault for all this time.  It still has the tank controls.  It's still got the stilted dialogue.  It's still slow and plodding. Many of the issues that I'm familiar with from the previous games are still there, still awkward, and you know what? I don't care about any of the above..  It's Shenmue Bloody Three for crying out loud.

But then the game continues and there are new problems. The cut-scenes fade out and then fade right back in as the discussion jumps from one topic to another.  Sometimes the camera angle changes to a different place, one that is practically the same, like a jarring bad edit. But it's deeper than that. You leave the dojo, talk to the next character and automatically ask them where the dojo is.  You speak to someone for the second time and they talk to you like you have never met.  Here, in a game created 20 years after it's last instalment, the delivery of the narrative is jumpy, like clips have been sellotaped together. The cut scenes and the edits are worse than in the Dreamcast originals.  It's not rose-tinted memories - in the originals you'd meet someone and they would say a "hello" conversation, then later they would say a "welcome back" script instead. In part 3 I've spoken to the bookie 4 times now, he's got no short term memory. I played the ball toss game one day, I fought him yesterday, lost, fought him again today and won, and every time he's acting like we never met before.

This becomes frustrating because of the slow delivery of the dialogue.  Sure, this was similar in previous games, but you could skip dialogue one line at a time and you can't skip in Shenmue 3.  I know that Shenmue has always been a slow moving game and that is part of the appeal, but I'm fed up of hearing the same lines over and over. Also, so many times the dialogue doesn't make sense.  A kid says "Hi Mister!" and Ryo replies "I see", or "OK, I'll play with you".  The Dreamcast games had conversations, where this has cut and paste lines stuck together in a weird way - the cut scenes and conversation don't have the same flow.

Tonight I played hide and seek, and found myself in a house. I tried to leave and Ryo says I can't leave because there might be clues.  I want to stop playing but the game won't let me save in the house, so I have to find the clues just to be able to turn the game off.  There's about 30 things in the room - drawers that can be opened and items that can be found inside that do not do anything.  There isn't any indication of how many clues or info on where they might be.  I'm hovering over the screen watching drawers opening and closing and I'm bored.  Now, I'm sure people will argue that this is the same as Shenmue 1 or 2, but I can't remember any single room in the previous games that needed exploring in that level of tedious detail.  Shenmue 2 had one near the end when you put the sword in the wall, but that's the only one I can think of. Most rooms had a couple of drawers, this one tonight has cupboards, drawers, furniture, stuff just laying there, I mean, where's the fun?

And then Ryo starts to complain that he's hungry.  Reading the posts above I thinking I wish they could patch that out like they have on the PC version.  I wanted to fight earlier but didn't have enough strength to start the battle, so I had to eat something.  But I didn't have any food, so I had to head back to the village.  But I can't run because I need food.  So I walked slowly all the way to the village to buy food, only to eat it, run back and finally do the thing I actually wanted to do.

There's an abundance of minigames, as you would expect, but they all seem so basic.  Practice horse stance by pressing a button to keep your character in position.  Press X a lot to make a turtle race. Or chop wood by pressing X in an exact copy of Geoff Capes' Strongman for the Spectrum, only with better graphics. And those pachinko style ball games - we did those already in the previous games.  The minigames are so simple, so repetitive.  The previous games had forklift racing or bringing out the books, but these were something you would do in just one week or so of game time - this looks like I'll need to chop wood every day.

BUT, it IS Shenmue, and I've always loved Shenmue and I was expecting it to be "more of the same" in terms of the gameplay and presentation.  I'd expected the game to be a halfway house between Dreamcast era and modern day gaming, and knew it would be a continuation of the series.  But with Sony backing it, I'd expected better than this.  I'd expected the developers to take advantage of the new hardware to improve things, and whilst the graphics are much better (and the game looks beautiful at times) the basics are wrong.   Having been such a big Shenmue fan, this third instalment should be a hell of a lot better than it is, and I'm really disappointed.  Yakusa, even the remastered PS2 games are way better than this.

I totally get how this sounds.  How can you complain that a Shenmue game has bad dialogue, cutscenes etc? How can you complain about the slow pace? It's SHENMUE for crying out loud!  But videogame development has changed beyond recognition since the Dreamcast and where the originals cost millions to make and nearly bankrupted Sega, the current generation has the advantages of the established 3D engines such as Unreal, and the significantly more powerful hardware that can do much more than the Dreamcast could have ever achieved. This game had the Kickstarter backing, the Sony backing, the goodwill of the fans and most importantly it was on sale at release for £50 in stores.  I know this will upset the hardcore Shenmue fans (of which I consider myself one), but this game is pretty mediocre for 2019 and if they changed the characters and gave it a different name no-one would be giving it the time of day.  Shenmue was a product of its time, a series of two wonderful games which left a story unfinished.  I think, having played this for a few evenings I would have preferred them to leave it alone.  They've made another instalment but it doesn't have the magic.  If they ask full price, they need to up their game.   

It absolutely does have the same magic though. The sense of place in Bailu and Niaowu is immense, and some dodgy editing in the first walk down the hill with Shenhua does very little to detract from the whole experience in the grand scheme of things. The voice acting is what it is, and is perfectly in line with the first two games, occasional dodgy responses and awkward stoicism from Ryo and all. 

And again with the Yakuza comparisons. Listen, Yakuza 0 is in my top five of all time, but if you want a Yakuza game, play Yakuza. Shenmue's not it. I'm not too sure what this action-packed Streets of Rage in China with Lan Di as the frenzied final boss that so many of the supposed fans seem to have been clamoring for in Shenmue 3 would have actually turned out to be like, but it sure as hell wouldn't have been a Shenmue game. The series is defined by its leisurely pace, with a creeping sense of mystery and intrigue providing the story beats that, yes, can seem slight and laconic. Exploration and curiosity brings narrative rewards, but the rewards are subtle, and are sometimes gained by rifling through the lovingly rendered tea cups in the cupboard of a rural Chinese household in 1987. Basically, if you're not the kind of person to get a small thrill out of finally being able to see what that weird blind woman in the village keeps in her living room, then it's likely Shenmue's not for you. 

And you should want to train every morning. You're a martial artist. It takes time. And you've got to admit that seeing that little yellow bar move and the crash of gongs marking your progress during gangnam style horse stancing is pretty satisfying. 

I'm just a bit bewildered at all the negative comments this is attracting from fans of the series. I don't get it at all. Bailu feels really lived in. Niaowu is gorgeous. There are capsule machines and original arcade games and, at long bloody last, Ryo can actually change out of his no doubt stinky clothes. It's everything I wanted from a new Shenmue game. Plus it existing in the first place is a bit of a bonus. 

• Upvote 2