Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

15 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Anyone got any tips for Pail Toss? I really want that football but I can barely get the ball in the red bucket, let alone the blue one right at the back.

Just aim the parabola into the bucket then press the button.

Add more power than you think you need, I was trying to get the blue line into the middle but this kept hitting the rim, try to just overshoot the bucket slightly. 

Played this for around 8 hours today, I feel like im near the end of the village, and I'm completely satisfied so far. I love how all the systems intergrate together, get up, play a few arcade games, go fishing, gamble, train, spar, do a bit of story etc. Every day feels like a 'proper day'. 

Theres a real sense of character progression. I'm a much better fighter. I have money in my pocket. I've learned a bunch of new skills. I know the village like the back of my hand and the personalities of the villagers. I've found out new information about characters who were introduced years ago. I really love the ambience of the place, especially at night. It will be sad to leave. And that's Shenmue to a tee and why it is so special to those that get it. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

Add more power than you think you need, I was trying to get the blue line into the middle but this kept hitting the rim, try to just overshoot the bucket slightly. 

You can add power? How?

Just using up and down on the left stick to increase or decrease the distance, I think.

On a separate note, one of the things I really like about Shenmue is how wholesome it is. I've got no problems playing this when my 10-year-old is around - in fact he's become completely enthralled by all the mini-games and is very happy to spend some time chopping wood or playing Lucky Hit to raise me some cash. In fact he was the one who worked out how to pretty much guarantee success on the gambling games without save scumming and it's quite nice having a little worker carrying out the mundane tasks for me every now and again. Ryo's an unrelenting good guy, very little happens in the game by surprise and even if a story event does happen unexpectedly the combat's always bloodless and it all has a certain Saturday morning TV show vibe to it. I'm happy to leave him bumbling around Bailu safe in the knowledge that he's not going to see anything unsuitable. It's the complete contrast to Yakuza, where he'd probably equally enjoy the mini-games but you're only ever a few seconds away from someone yelling out the F word or trying to stave your head in with a crowbar.

This has still got the warmth of the original 2, really like the Shenhua chats in the evenings. And I very much like the idea of a man getting peckish in the middle of the day and chomping his way through 6 raw peppers, some potatoes and a couple of cabbages.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

When are we ever going to sit down and eat the food Shenhua has been preparing and cooking for a week or more now?

I’m too full of garlic and raw onions. And I can completely understand why Shenhua doesn’t want to sit opposite me at a table. 

Ryo looming awkwardly over Shenhua while they have their evening chats is the most Ryo thing ever. 

On 23/11/2019 at 13:32, Lumpy said:

Is there fishing in this? What are the lures all about?

Quoting myself but I was thrilled last night to discover there is indeed fishing in this. The lures are just plastic toys, but you can rent fishing rods. Awesome! I know what I'm doing today then!

So I finished it tonight. Holy Shit. An absolutely fantastic experience, warts and all. It's totally Shenmue through and through. It's been made with love, warmth, and good humour, and it gets itself. I still don't really feel that it's over, as this is definitely something that stays with you, despite the game's flaws. I've not felt like I've lived in another place in a game for a very very long time, and somehow, with all its weird little quirks and idiosyncrasies, Shenmue III is so much more than the sum of its parts. I hope Yu Suzuki gets to finish the story, but honestly, even if he doesn't, this was enough to emotionally give us at least a little closure as to what might have been in the last 20 years.

15 minutes ago, deKay said:

How long did it take you? Because I’ve seen it’s only 12 hours long which means I’ve about 3 hours left and I’m still wandering round the village.

My sweet summer child. If you're taking your time and enjoying pottering about in it a lot in true Shenmue style, it'll be more like 36 or more. The internet is dark, and full of lies.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

My sweet summer child. If you're taking your time and enjoying pottering about in it a lot in true Shenmue style, it'll be more like 36 or more. The internet is dark, and full of lies.

Which is why I asked. 1 is only about 12, and 2 about 18 though.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

@deKay - I played through the originals recently in anticipation of this. I played them fairly rapidly, but 1 took me 8 hours, 2 took 16. 3 has been about 40. You've barely scratched the surface.

So have I so this is Good News.

The whole soundtrack hasn’t been uploaded anywhere yet as far as I can see, but I just encountered an all-time joint that plays when you go inside Niaowu Clinic, next door to Niaowu Pharmacy and across the street from Tough Guy Herbs and the Black Sesame Dumpling cafe, up that Promenade before you turn the corner to Hua Xiao Temple. Go there and check the tune out. Utter vibes.

Back doing some fork lift driving.... Feels like I've returned to something I was doing many years ago...no bus ride this time though.

The scenery and ambient feeling of being somewhere else in this is amazing. ..The music too just feels all relaxing. What I really enjoying though is the lack of shooting and killing. All the violence has a reason to be and love developing the skills and practicing the marital arts. It all feels more like a spiritual experience. Even with all it's quirks this is an intoxicating place to be...

I need to get a fishing rod and do some fishing at some point too... Found a few locations that I'd just like to chill out at for a bit.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

It's the music that makes it. Can we get a league table going? I'm on 139 :ph34r:

Jeez must be something I'm doing wrong on this managed to get to 95!!! Guessing each time you get a perfect it counts for more? 

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

What I really enjoying though is the lack of shooting and killing. All the violence has a reason to be and love developing the skills and practicing the marital arts. It all feels more like a spiritual experience. Even with all it's quirks this is an intoxicating place to be...

Yes it's very important that, despite his overall quest, Ryo doesn't actively seek out violence to anyone who doesn't start it or unless they are threatening someone else. Unless he's looking for friendly sparring. This is absolutely the dream of Virtua Fighter RPG made flesh. I also love how getting better endurance requires real work and grind, just like real training.

Also, failing QTEs in this is often much funnier than in the previous games.

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Jeez must be something I'm doing wrong on this managed to get to 95!!! Guessing each time you get a perfect it counts for more? 

Look how much you could be earning:

Spoiler

shen3-2.thumb.jpg.e1d4a596ff548e6d391aa41e3ff4a688.jpg