rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

44 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The reviews depress me. Not just because I'm genuinely delighted with the game but because of what it says about the state of game reviews at the moment. You just know that this game has been reviewed by young kids with objective ideas of what "good games" should be - people who never played the originals (or at least never did so at the time), have almost certainly played this with the English dub, and are more interested in resolution and frame rate than anything more intangible such as atmosphere and world-building. That Polygon review compares the game to Red Dead Redemption 2, complains incessantly about the graphics, and complains that it's not the final chapter in the story. It's just baffling really. It would be like every film reviewer only liking Marvel movies or book reviewers comparing everything to Fifty Shades of Grey: just no understanding that there are more things you can do with this medium than just constantly iterate on the same kinds of games and that something that's stately and atmospheric can actually bring something entirely new to the table.

I like the fact that the combat tutorial is basically "press the buttons and see what happens". That's exactly what I did and I worked it out pretty quickly and I had fun doing so. It doesn't need a ten minute tutorial making you punch three times, then kick three times, then telling you you're amazing.

Ok boomer.

Spoiler

sorry

I played Shenmue 1 and 2 on Dreamcast in about 2004/5 and hold them in my memory as some of the best games ever made, so the reviews are irrelevant to my decision to buy 3 or not. I’ve never waited longer for a sequel I thought would never get made! And this is a sequel, not an entirely new game, so surely the point is that it’s similar to the others? 

Where should I pick up a boxed copy? Is Tesco stocking it?

• Upvote 1

It’s the gaming equivalent of a Kevin Smith’s Jay & Silent Bob Reboot. Made for its fans and its exactly what they wanted. If Shenmue 3 played like Yakuza or was a different type of game entirely it wouldn’t be the same but this is exactly what I wanted and I’m happy it’s been made against all odds.

• Upvote 2

So I guess the question now is: do we ever get Shenmue 4?

Fans seem delighted with this instalment, the team and the game engine is all ready to go, it would likely be straightforward (at least compared to what they had to go through to get S3 off the ground). And I'm sure Yu Suzuki wants to see his story through.

But I'm not sure this game will reach that many people who weren't already invested in it, so if it doesn't make much money over and above what it raised for the Kickstarter then it's going to be a tricky thing to pull off. I guess they could do another Kickstarter but I can't see it getting the same level of support, funding "the next Shenmue chapter" doesn't have the same kind of appeal to people as "resurrecting this legendary game franchise". Especially given the reviews.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Where should I pick up a boxed copy? Is Tesco stocking it?

Argos are selling it for £45.

I was deliberating where to play this and disk or digital. The console seemed the most authentic experience as did having it on disk. Despite it being effectively digital anyway with the 12GB "patch" :D Also for some reason it is £55 on PSN. 

5 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Fans seem delighted with this instalment, the team and the game engine is all ready to go, it would likely be straightforward (at least compared to what they had to go through to get S3 off the ground). And I'm sure Yu Suzuki wants to see his story through.

But I'm not sure this game will reach that many people who weren't already invested in it, so if it doesn't make much money over and above what it raised for the Kickstarter then it's going to be a tricky thing to pull off. I guess they could do another Kickstarter but I can't see it getting the same level of support, funding "the next Shenmue chapter" doesn't have the same kind of appeal to people as "resurrecting this legendary game franchise". Especially given the reviews.

Yes, this uncertainty is why I've always been in favour of bringing Shenmue to an end with Shenmue 3. Yu said it's not possible, but maybe he would have been able to reduce some of the slack and make room for story advancement.

2 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Good question! :) Think that was part of the reason I was a bit reluctant to play Shenmue 2 all those years ago knowing that the story would potentially never get finished with the death of the Dreamcast and effectively the financial flop that Shenmue was. It's a wonder 3 ever got made given the money needed.

With this just going to enjoy the experience. Sure someone will finish the story of not in a game maybe in a novel, manga or something in conjunction with Yu Suzuki.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Fans seem delighted with this instalment,

They're really not, if the Kickstarter comments are anything to go by. There's DLC coming that wasn't part of the Kickstarter yet Kickstarter backers will have to buy it? Fuck Shenmue 4. Game arrived late because of the courier? Fuck Shenmue 4. Didn't get the card slipcase even though it's coming via another supplier in a separate delivery? Fuck Shenmue 4. Can't find my name in the credits even though it has been proven to be there? Fuck Shenmue 4. Backed the wrong tier? Fuck Shenmue 4.

• Upvote 1

In all fairness though, I do understand some of their frustration. I don't think it was a completely transparent, well-communicated campaign and process. 

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

They're really not, if the Kickstarter comments are anything to go by. There's DLC coming that wasn't part of the Kickstarter yet Kickstarter backers will have to buy it? Fuck Shenmue 4. Game arrived late because of the courier? Fuck Shenmue 4. Didn't get the card slipcase even though it's coming via another supplier in a separate delivery? Fuck Shenmue 4. Can't find my name in the credits even though it has been proven to be there? Fuck Shenmue 4. Backed the wrong tier? Fuck Shenmue 4.

This just about sums up a large amount of gamers right now.  Massive bunch of over entitled pricks.

• Upvote 3

Shenmue III going to be one of those cases where user reviews and word of mouth completely dwarf the "official" verdict.

When I look at Shenmue III for what it is, the game to me has absolutely succeeded on what it has set out to do and anyone who uses that as a strike the game has largely missed the point. This game easily has the makings of a classic but without the right people to champion it the game is going to be judged by the numbers as another mediocre game.

You know what other game scored below 70 on metacritic? Deadly Premonition.
You know what game has been re-released multiple times and categorised as a modern cult classic? Deadly Premonition.
Why is that? Because there were people who championed for it and made others see the game for what it was.

I do agree there is a problem with game critique. Nearly a decade on from Jim Sterling showing everyone what game critique should be with his 10/10 Deadly Premonition review things haven't gotten any better now than they were back then when looking at the wider picture. Hopefully there is someone out there who can be a champion for this game in the same way Jim was for Deadly Premonition.

5 hours ago, deKay said:

I wonder how many of the kickstarters were actually fans, or just jumping in because of the 2015 E3 hype?

Backers never mention that they got the digital version for $29 - half price of the eventual release

They don't mention they got what they paid for, in a lot of cases, a day earlier than expected, and as a much more feature-filled game than it would have been without a publisher involvement.Yu said if it stopped at 2 million it would have been cutscenes and QTE's only.

If you check out the Bloodstained comments, it's full of the same angry people calling it a scam 

Yu's said he won't kickstart IV. I don't blame him. People treat it like a preorder when you're paying to bring the game to life. There's no stone cold guarantee the game will actually come out no matter how much funding is put into a project.

Here's some posts from the Bloodstained comments:

That trailer is nuts! Wow I am so happy that I received my "FREE" switch upgrade now.

Of course it is free, it is attempting to fix all of the shit broken on the release date. Thanks for the fix......better late than never. Oh yeah and tell Angle thanks for folding my poster a bunch of times putting deep creases everywhere instead of rolling it like he promised. This project is being ran like a circus.

Maybe Iga should stop staring at template excel sheets and do actual work.

Your project -- $5500000 and you failed and, worse of all, have the audacity to insult your backers and deny the refunds.

Actions are louder than words, and in my book you have failed utterly and spectacularly.

So, it is funds embezzlement. I didn't give my money for "other areas of the game".

Well, this Kickstarter project is DEAD for me. Now it is time to BURY it. :)

with more than 2 years late, a real visual disappointing, 3 canceled version. this is the last kicktarter game for me.

finally got digital code for Japanese PSN.

worst fuxxxx' project ever!

shame on you,IGRARASHI!!!!

So now they’re going to replace my crushed box? thanks but no thanks don’t give a f*** anymore. You will always be known as a reference for other campaigns on what not to do as a kickstarter. You’re next one will be better pretty much impossible to f*** it up worse lol

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

In all fairness though, I do understand some of their frustration. I don't think it was a completely transparent, well-communicated campaign and process. 

I think it was exceptionally well communicated campaign and process. Constant email updates, public apologies when there's a delay, at all times I was kept up to date of what was happening.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I'm disappointed in myself, but this isn't for me. I'm glad it got made, but I no longer have the patience for such slow moving games. Into the bin it goes. Now back to Yakuza 4.

Disk copy ? Send it my way plz :D

To all the fans who have waited many years for Shenmue 3, and to all of the crowdfunding backers who have made this game possible: This project would not exist without your love, support, and the connections we’ve made along the way. With profound appreciation for all that you have done, I am happy to finally present to you Shenmue 3.

During development I expanded the scope beyond what I had originally envisioned. I’m happy we were able to include the distinct “Shenmue” charm throughout the game. I hope that this new chapter strikes even a small resonance in your heart.

For as long as there are those who wish to see Shenmue live on, I will never give up on my own personal journey to complete its story. As with Shenmue 3, the Shenmue story is with you.

I sincerely hope that, together, we can continue to spin the tale of Ryo and his adventures in Shenmue 4.

This goes out to all who have ever loved and supported Shenmue.

Yu Suzuki

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

<stuff about reviews>

Your post is a great example of being a bit too invested in something. To say reviewers only care about graphics and resolution ignores highly positive reviews of many indie games (just as a quick and dirty example) which certainly do not have flashy graphics and super high frame rates. And to reduce it to being reviewed by kids who don't care about game worlds is even more laughable when you see the universal mega acclaim that the Dark Souls games get, where that is absolutely key to the experience.

Your post reads as though it should be reviewed by somebody who loves the series - a series, lest we forget, that the general public never really seemed to care all that much about anyway - and be blind to the standards of the time. After all, this is a game released in 2019 so it should be viewed against its peers - even within this thread we have some people that love it but accept it is a bit clunky and is built largely for the fans.

I mean it's great that there is a loyal fan base who love it and are getting what they expected with this release (and indeed, I'm probably going to play the first 2 based on the positivity and love shown in this thread) but to "be depressed" about an average review just seems so 'sulky teenager' to me. 

• Upvote 3

I guess it's a philosophical question if you're happy with the Kickstarter or not. I understand people being disappointed with having spent 300 dollars and receiving their physical copies late or not receiving digital content the retail version features or with the absolutely loveless cardbox or with late instructions how to claim their digital codes. Whether these people are "fans" or not is totally irrelevant. Garwoofoo's stance is definitely the most healthy one.

Shenmue is such a unique case that it's very difficult to review, so I approach each review with caution and ultimately I know they are pointless because unless Suzuki-san has proper cocked this up, I know I'm going to love it. Judging it against any kind of modern game is a tough one because there are very few nods to modern design sensibilities here. As many have said this is a love letter to fans. Those craaaazy few who for some inexplicable reason back in the day became absolutely and completely invested in the game. I say inexplicable, as even as a fan I wonder why I love it. It can be clunky and meandering, and often doesn't even feel like a game. I think that's where it took off for me - realising it's not a game really, but more a virtual holiday.

I remember not liking it very much myself for the first couple of hours back in the day. Picking stuff up, opening drawers. WTF is this supposed to be? But then somehow whoosh - you're in. I can't even explain how it happened. And you're in love with the game. You care about it all. I was lucky to play both back to back over a Christmas many years ago and it was an amazing experience for both me and the missus. We've even both talked about going to Yokosuke. I watched the video linked earlier with the guy who actually walked around Dobuita etc, and the music was playing in the background and I proper got the chills. It took me right back to that feeling of being there.

The chances of any modern games reviewer experiencing all this after coming to the game fresh are extremely low indeed.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

It's a very difficult situation honestly. Given the time between II and III there are very few reviewers out there who are an actual authority on the first two games. In the UK I can think of Martin, whose Eurogamer review is terrific, and Andy Kelly at PC Gamer who wrote our cover story at the start of the year. Once you get beyond that you're into people who sort of played the first ones when they were kids, or played the remasters out of curiosity, or who've never played either but like Yakuza or Japanese games or whatever. 

To paraphrase what others have said upthread about reviews not mattering, I think the game's pretty much unreviewable, or at least unscoreable, which is definitely a word. It doesn't matter that it's stuck in time or a bit rough around the edges, or whatever. The only thing that matters to the people who are interested in playing it is that it exists, and quite right too.

I think the main approach when tackling this game will essentially just be whether it achieves what it sets out to do. And anyone who has invested in the series will be best placed to answer that - those with no prior experience are going to have a baffling time.

I can feel a very long essay about the series coming on after I've finished this, but the short version is: it's exactly as if the Shenmue series had actually continued on the Dreamcast and then the third game was recently painstakingly remade by Bluepoint. It's a complete success, and the only people who won't hate it will be the ones that understand exactly why.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, alex3d said:

I guess it's a philosophical question if you're happy with the Kickstarter or not. I understand people being disappointed with having spent 300 dollars and receiving their physical copies late or not receiving digital content the retail version features or with the absolutely loveless cardbox or with late instructions how to claim their digital codes. Whether these people are "fans" or not is totally irrelevant. Garwoofoo's stance is definitely the most healthy one.

Yeah. I can’t see myself backing anything else on Kickstarter. At the same time this year’s been quite nice in that I received two games that I paid for years ago. Bloodstained was everything and more that I wanted.