rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Earlier in the year i visited Yokosuka and Dobuita street. Here is my video covering all the major places as featured in the game and just having a wander around really.

Great video thanks for sharing. One thing on my bucket list is to visit Japan. Mainly for the electronics district and to see where Shenmue was based! 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Eurogamer Review : Recommended:

A Faithful Follow Up To An All Time Classic

Really pleased to read that. Got a bit fed up reading reviews and opinions from people who didn't like it back in the day and want to crap on it, or just didn't get the vibe and want to crap on it. Nice to read a review from someone who gets the game and the fanbase behind it.

I just watched a Jim Sterling review of the 1+2 remaster, and while I love Jim's channel and especially Jimquisitions, the way he presents his opinion on Shenmue grated on me. Rant rant rant. He just comes across so angry that there are people out there who not only like, but love this series. Yes the game is slow paced, barely much to do and lots of waiting and wandering. To me it's a bit like trying to describe Animal Crossing to people who haven't played it. You don't really do much I suppose, but by god I love it and have spent more time just wandering about in these games than I ever have shooting things online.

You don't get it Jim. That's fine. But it doesn't make you right.

• Upvote 8

I played a bit more of Shenmue tonight. I think I’m going to stick with it and play the third one when I’m ready. Sure, it looks a bit crap and the controls are a nightmare, but I don’t think I’ve explored a world that felt so real before. Like, the hair salon had stickers over the old prices with the new ones written on them, and I love how people go about their day around you. Heaven knows what this would have been like to experience in 1999 or whenever :wacko:

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

You don't get it Jim. That's fine. But it doesn't make you right.

Just opinions though.... Tend not read many reviews online these days. Never know who is being paid by who and lots of reviews are really opinionated rather than looking at the overall experience.

Anyhow how is everyone getting on with this?

Loving it this far finding the combat a bit of a challenge though :) lots of moves to remember and it keeps telling me I'm too slow... Mmmmm. Button mashing doesn't seem a good option to take on this.... :D Guessing it was one aspect that I wasn't overly keen on back in the day but IIRC the original Shenmue wasn't as fussy about combat? Maybe its been a while.....

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I played a bit more of Shenmue tonight. I think I’m going to stick with it and play the third one when I’m ready. Sure, it looks a bit crap and the controls are a nightmare, but I don’t think I’ve explored a world that felt so real before. Like, the hair salon had stickers over the old prices with the new ones written on them, and I love how people go about their day around you. Heaven knows what this would have been like to experience in 1999 or whenever :wacko:

Indeed it's the detail that makes the experience IMHO. 

I remember when I finished the first one feeling a bit sad leaving what felt had become my virtual home behind to head to Hong Kong! Never really had such an emotional attachment to a game ever before playing Shenmue.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I went from an N64 to a Dreamcast at the time and Shenmue blew my mind. Considering the time of year don't progress through it too quickly, you don't to miss Christmas in Dobuita.

I quite like the combat, I find it much easier to get to grips with than Shenmue I or II. In the first game I spammed two moves relentlessly, in the second game I just dodged round people and punched them in the head. In this I'm at least trying out different moves and looking cool in the process, plus I can always level up if it gets too hard and cheese through things a bit.

In general I think the interlocking systems work really well in this. Gaining money in Shenmue II always felt like a bit of a chore, and in the end I just save scummed Roll It On Top until I had enough I never needed to worry about it any more. In this, even early on, there are lots of options and I might have just spent all my money in the capsule toy machine trying to get a full set of fishing lures. Plus the music in the wood chopping game is just :wub:

• Upvote 2

I played about 90 minutes of the game this evening, it's totally Shenmue.  I noticed the NPCs fading in and out like they did on the Dreamcast which I assume (or at least hope!) they did on purpose. Even though they have improved the controls Ryo still feels a little clunky to manoeuvre in a manner that feels very reminisant of the earlier games but is no where near as annoying, I mean this in a good way as they have managed to capture the feel while removing the irritations.

So far, to me, the fighting feels worse than it did in the earlier games but I haven't done enough fights to judge it properly yet.

The graphics actually look really pretty at times and I like the bright bold colour palette. The English dub is better than I expected, but still very Shenmue, and the music is as great as it always was.

I think someone else may have said similar previously but it almost feels like an end of life cycle Dreamcast game that was then slightly polished up and also released on a newly arrived Dreamcast 2 console shortly after.

In hindsight I wish I'd kickstarted it and had my name in the backer credits!

I sounds wonderful, enjoying these impression even though I'm not playing yet. Interesting how much they've changed the combat, I half expected it to remain roughly the same. I think that might be jarring right after playing through 1 + 2 and feeling like a master.. look forward to finding out.

However I love VF too, and if there's a guy who knows how to build a solid fighting system it must be Yu Suzuki!

BTW the fastest way to make money in Shenmue 2 is still the pachinko game right in the corner near the hotel you stay in at first.. none of this "roll it on top" business..! haha

One thing I really miss from Shenmue I - the fact that shops (bar the explicitly 24 hour ones) actually close at night. It really added to the illusion of a living world. In Shenmue II and, going by the stalls & store in the first village, Shenmue III, they’re all more or less open around the clock. There’s a certain irony given the presence of a conversation option in which you mention the 24-hour Tomato store to Shenhua, who is taken aback by the idea...

From the Polygon review

Combat in Shenmue 3 is also essentially unchanged from previous games in the series, despite the increased resolution and frame rate. I’m still taking part in third-person combat with a light and heavy kick, light and heavy punch, and combos you can pull off as you progress. The combos however are initially limited, and to unlock more means doing more busy work for money to spend on combos.

Seeing as it's a completely , totally different fighting engine, this tells me all I need to know about this review.

Anyway, finally got into the first arcade last night after spending about 2 whole days dicking around levelling up my kung fun and becoming a wood chopping master.

QTE title is once again amazing, with some absolute arsehole fake-outs to get you to press the wrong button. The detail on the arcade machine is incredible .

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flockheart said:

I think someone else may have said similar previously but it almost feels like an end of life cycle Dreamcast game that was then slightly polished up and also released on a newly arrived Dreamcast 2 console shortly after.

I do see these comments a lot, and yeah the character models are very distinct, but I do think 'slightly polished up dreamcast game' is underselling it a bit. :)

Shenmue-III_20191118163008-e157415604181

"looks like a PS2 game!"

gta-vice-city-malibu-club_9450632-8890_6

An Actual PS2 Game

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Down by Law said:

For anyone struggling with combat, remember triangle starts strings, so triangle x 4 is an all punch combo, triangle then squares leads to kicks, circle to different punches and the like. 

Triangle x3 then square ends with a head kick for example, triangle then square, square, square is a jab followed by a knee, side kick then head kick.

Holding block (lt) then usually a combo of face buttons are power moves eg double blow, sword kick, etc. 

When blocking you'll notice a block meter in the bottom left decreases with each hit so you have to move or parry with a well timed block to stop taking damage 

How do you parry? 

Thanks for this post. I wish it explained all this in the game rather than like this. 

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1196828199767945217?s=19

7 hours ago, pastry said:

BTW the fastest way to make money in Shenmue 2 is still the pachinko game right in the corner near the hotel you stay in at first.. none of this "roll it on top" business..! haha

You can make more money than it’s ever possible to spend on the dice game in less time than it takes to play just one game on Lucky Hit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

I do see these comments a lot, and yeah the character models are very distinct, but I do think 'slightly polished up dreamcast game' is underselling it a bit. :)

I think I didn't word my thoughts very well as I was trying to comment on the feel of the game as a whole with entire sentence rather than specifically just the graphics, I did say " graphics actually look really pretty at times" as well.  :) 

Maybe to be a bit more clear I think it feels/plays like a Dreamcast/PS2 game that was re-released on a PS3/Dreamcast 2 generation system.  I agree the graphics are better than a PS3/Dreamcast 2 could produce.

Problem with Shenmue is that it's a marmite game. It was when the first game got released back in the day and again as now with the third one.

The difference these days is there is so much noise about from the internet everybody and everyone seems to have reviews out there. Many reviewers have an idea of what their perfect game should be and then review against what they want the game to be rathe than what it is. Also it seems that people need spoonfeeding these days with tutorial type things rather than trying to figure stuff our themselves and enjoying that experience.

I played Shenmue back in the day without really knowing too much about it other than it was set in Japan and developed by Yu Suzuki. It was an experience I will never forget...

Whatever becomes of the Shenmue series this world is joy to explore and experience. Sure it has quirks. I really like the pacing of it and the detail. Like playing the little games, chopping wood collecting stuff.... Just pottering about looking at the scenery. Training to get better at fighting. Oh and most of all enjoying the break from shooting things which makes this a refreshing experience in itself. 

This and Death Stranded this month have reinvigorated my interest in gaming. 

• Upvote 2