rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

4 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just realised. This game will not finish the story... Hope we don't have another long wait. At this rate I'll be retired playing the end of this in VR! Still not a bad way to spend some retirement time I guess :D 

Still plenty to keep me busy at the moment catching up with some gaming as I have this and Death Stranded. Also ended up finally getting RDR2 to mess about with. What a contrast these three are.... :D Must admit so far I think this will consume most of my time at the moment.

Yeah, my wife pointed out I'd be over 60 if we have to wait for another 18 years :)

Still having issues with bugs on the PS4 - in particular when selecting food to eat and it showing the zoomed in view and only a rapid hitting of buttons will stop the game sticking on that...though it can either still stay on the screen (had a pear and black garlic now) or the screen remains dim. I'm now saving very regularly as reloading a save game sorts it out.

But also having issues with the game skipping forwards in time sometimes - hit continue instead of load this morning and it threw me into a cut scene with Shenhua which made no sense as it was referring to something I'd yet to find out (so had to restart) and this afternoon it again through me direct into a martial arts location with some guy talking to me for no apparent reason (again, had to reload and I've now done this sequence in the correct place...)

Anyone else having issues? Some twitchy bits during the game between lines of dialogue that the same character is saying too (I'm prepared to forgive it being a bit shonky with the relatively low budget, but still...)

My bro made a compilation of Retro shop owners and people who he Has asked about Shenmue 3 over the last few years. Mine hasn’t arrived yet as there is a postal strike on here lol. Give it a watch, it’s not long.

• Upvote 7

This feels exactly like the previous Shenmue games. And that's a good thing. The critics will absolutely miss the point - this was the right way to continue the series and it's an unapologetic love letter to the fans.

If you haven't experienced the first two, wondering if you should jump in with this one also misses the point - it's designed to carry on right where it left off and it will absolutely disappoint anyone who has not already experienced Shenmue's unique world building.

Get the first two games on Game Pass, live in them for a bit, finish their story, then come back here. And also don't read Rubberjohnny's frankly reductive post that just lists the entire plot of the games for no benefit to anyone. You will get nothing out of a playthrough or summary and will simply wonder what the fuss is about.

@RubberJohnny - please spoiler your post. The first two games are wonderful unique experiences, and if people are now considering getting into the series I'm sure they'd appreciate discovering the story for themselves. Reducing them to a plot summary is enormously reductive to their charm. If anyone was desperate to spoil them for themselves they can read them on Wikipedia.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Who the fuck added spoilers for my post for a 16 year old game? There's people openly discussing the ending of 2 on the last page.

I don't see spoilers on your post, unless you removed them? But it's not an unreasonable request, given that the game was only available on old formats for a long, long time until recently.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I don't see spoilers on your post, unless you removed them? But it's not an unreasonable request, given that the game was only available on old formats for a long, long time until recently.

the overlap in the Venn diagram for the number of people playing an 18 year old game targeted at old folk for the first time, who are also avidly reading a thread about a newly released game targeted at nostalgics, who are also on this forum, has to contain zero people.

there are hundreds of games released every year, and anyone who hasn’t got a fond spot for the game series isn’t in this thread.

• Upvote 2

while i agree that's probably true, I think @Benny's point about it being much more than the story is perfectly reasonable – the way you feel about the other characters (Ren :wub:) cannot be expressed in a summary, but has to be experienced by playing the games. And that's only one part of the whole.

There is absolutely no value in summarising the plot of the previous games in here, as those of us who already know it don't need the summary, and those that don't are just going to have a potential new experience spoiled for them.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Something about the box art annoys me. Ryo's and Shenua's face are lit from different directions, and the light on Ryo's face is coming from the opposite direction of the actual torch next to them.

Hopefully this will be the full extent of my concerns about the game! :lol:

3 hours ago, Benny said:

There is absolutely no value in summarising the plot of the previous games in here, as those of us who already know it don't need the summary, and those that don't are just going to have a potential new experience spoiled for them.

New people are already going to be spoiled by all the open spoilers flying about from others, which you don't seem to have issue with.

If you don't need it why does it bother you to the point you want it removed or hidden? Just ignore it.

It's all a bit precious, this.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

This game has really made me want to eat garlic.

Ryo should be able to kill a man with his breath by now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Is that true though, because everybody says it is about the journey and the world that has been created that is the main draw? 

I say that as somebody who hasn't ever played them but am considering both now via Game Pass - knowing the plot hasn't made me less likely to do so. 

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Is that true though, because everybody says it is about the journey and the world that has been created that is the main draw? 

I say that as somebody who hasn't ever played them but am considering both now via Game Pass - knowing the plot hasn't made me less likely to do so. 

That is correct, yet the sense of mystery is one of Shenmue's great strengths, so I'm not sure why RubberJ is throwing a hissy fit at being asked to help preserve some of that. It's just a nice thing to do for potential new players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oooh, I thought I had pre-ordered this. I hadn't.

Now rectified. I think I will run through 1 and 2 once more. On PS4, although I *could* get the DC out for old time's sake...

6 minutes ago, smac said:

although I *could* get the DC out for old time's sake...

The only thing I missed when playing the PS4 versions was the *Clunk-Clunking* of the GD-Rom drive. Weird I know.

• Upvote 1

Earlier in the year i visited Yokosuka and Dobuita street. Here is my video covering all the major places as featured in the game and just having a wander around really.

• Upvote 6