rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

There's a little 5 minute recap movie that's made from cutscenes from the first 2 games with some narration over the top. It is very brief though and I'm not sure if I hadn't just come straight from a replay of the first 2 games I'd fully remember what's going on.

44 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

From what I've heard about this it seems they literally just carried on from where they left off?

The first scene is literally the final scene from Shenmue II again.

I'm playing the original games via the remasters for the first time in preparation for the third game and I've been really enjoying them. They were way ahead of their time and I can't say they feel old by todays standards, although they are slow paced. The graphics also have a wonderful charm. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone, in particular if you were around at the time of the Dreamcast and missed out on playing them, they're wonderfully nostalgic and bring back great memories of that era in gaming. 

I would recommend playing them in Japanese with English dubs mind you! 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Most of Shenmue 2 is filler. The plan was for him to travel around China and defeat the four generals which match the four heavenly beasts in Chinese myth, but they never got far enough to introduce any of them. There's an antihero gang leader there who pops up in 3 as an ally, that's about it until Wuilan where you meet Shenhua and learn that Shenmue is er, the name of a tree species. There's another magical macguffin the Phantom River Stone which IIRC is mentioned but never introduced, and then a magic flying sword in a magic cave and a cliffhanger.

I think Xiuying and her backstory are also worth knowing as well.

Same here. 10 minutes in and it’s pure unadulterated Shenmue. Stilted voice acting, squeaky kids, weird-looking adults and toy capsule vending machines. Precisely what I wanted :wub: 

It really felt genuinely emotional to take those first few steps and continue the journey once more after 18 long years.

• Upvote 3

Had around an hour or so on this.... Loving it so far.. The visuals and sounds are just lovely.... And yes it definitely feels like Shenmue. The drawer and cupboard exploring - the notebook and the little details. I think if anyone doesn't like the play style of the first Shenmue will probably not enjoy this its very similar with enhanced visuals...oh and you have to feed yourself... :) Out and about chopping wood, collecting herbs and exploring the village. Shenmue with all its quirks is back.  Yay.

1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/shenmue-3-review-in-progress/

These reviews will be even better than Death Stranding’s.

Indeed !

Last line in that review kind of sum it up:-

"Should you buy it in the mean-time while it’s full price? Fans should, newcomers should not. That’s the truth of it."

Think newcomers should proceed with caution.... For me worth every penny so far,,,,

44 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Same here. 10 minutes in and it’s pure unadulterated Shenmue. Stilted voice acting, squeaky kids, weird-looking adults and toy capsule vending machines. Precisely what I wanted :wub: 

It really felt genuinely emotional to take those first few steps and continue the journey once more after 18 long years.

Exactly how I felt :)

• Upvote 1

Just realised. This game will not finish the story... Hope we don't have another long wait. At this rate I'll be retired playing the end of this in VR! Still not a bad way to spend some retirement time I guess :D 

Still plenty to keep me busy at the moment catching up with some gaming as I have this and Death Stranded. Also ended up finally getting RDR2 to mess about with. What a contrast these three are.... :D Must admit so far I think this will consume most of my time at the moment.

Edited by MattyP

Got my Epic Games code for this, but I’m not sure what to do really. I should have played through the first two. I’ve had enough time to do it :blush:

I’ve started Shenmue tonight, played it for a couple of hours. It’s janky as hell, but I think it’s drawing me in. I’m not sure if I’ll ever finish them though, which means I’ll never get round to playing the third one. So perhaps I just should skip them? I dunno.

8 hours ago, ICECOLD said:

Attract mode...? :unsure:

you know, the scenes that play if you leave the title screen. 

I call it attract mode because YS is an arcade guy. Also, because that’s what it’s called.

• Upvote 6

49 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Having this as my Xmas Eve/Xmas day  etc...  Game!  I can erm, wait  :o

You are in for a treat!!! Feels like Xmas already for me today.....

• Upvote 2

3 hours gone just like that

The first day is a little awkward in typical Shenmue fashion but now I can do what I please its really got it's hooks in. 

Training with the wooden dummies while the sun sets is just beautiful...

Im so happy to be back in Ryo's shoes :)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Can I just fuckin start this already without waiting another half an hour+ for the ‘update file’ to fully download?

Yeah the 10gb day one patch meant I was too tired to start playing by the time it had downloaded so leaving it until tomorrow now.  We never had to put up with this crap on the Dreamcast! :)

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

49 minutes ago, Sonic.Mirrorz said:

It’s a bit weird that neither shenhua or ryo mention that they just saw a floating sword and a laser beam shooting out a mirror. 

And yet even after that he’s surprised that she can understand what animals say.

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

(in Shenmue II Shenhua knows she has magic powers but just thinks they’re normal so the floating sword probably isn’t unexpected for her - she’s the one that makes it float, after all)

Mod Edit: Just put a potential Shenmue 2 spoiler behind spoiler tags.

Edited by Robo_1
Added spoiler tag.

It looks like they retconned the flying sword stuff which frankly I didn't care for back then. I assumed there was a gas leak in the cave and they were both high as shit. 

I'm already wishing work away tomorrow to get back into this. I've probably only seen 5% of the game in the 3 hours I played but I can't stop thinking about it already. There's so much heart and soul it really does feel like a classic Sega game and not the regurgitated focus tested guff I've been bouncing off over the last couple of years. 

Spending time learning moves and timing at Marshall Hall is addictive. There's a slow mo dodge if you sidestep at the last second, combo that with a really cool looking move like the sword kick (LT, Triangle, Square) for a 1 hit KO on the first guy looked awesome :D

Also the lighting at night especially during a downpour... Wow! 

• Upvote 2