rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Apparently once you’ve entered your backer code, you can press Square to quickly scroll to your name.

Which begs the question, what and where is the backer code?

It’s not in the Fan Gamer backer survey area. 

The game is downloaded and starts without it, but I don’t have a backer code yet.

Anyone else?

5 minutes ago, murray said:

Apparently once you’ve entered your backer code, you can press Square to quickly scroll to your name.

The game is downloaded and starts without it, but I don’t have a backer code yet.

Anyone else?

It's right at the bottom of the backer survey. Scroll down on the codes page.

Hmm, I’ve got nothing.

After the PSN installation instructions there’s a red button to go back to the management page, then the standard website footer. 

How many characters is the backer code?

11 minutes ago, murray said:

Anyone else?

I could be wrong but I think it’s your Backer Password in your Fangamer list.

• Upvote 1

this series has a special place in my heart It seems like yesterday I was with @Stanley in his flat as we joint played the first game through to the end over a number of sessions. There is something quite magical about the atmosphere and the slow pace which completely went against all the sugar rush overkill games of that time. Playing Darts, collecting Capsule toys, and taking in the locales, and even the banality of working added to the spark once you got what you needed and unravelled the next part of the story.

I think that's why Death Stranding has got into my head, its evoking the same kind of feelings. Really cannot wait to play this.

• Upvote 2

The attract mode is beautiful, and so very Shenmue. Seeing this running on the hardware is so much better than any YT video.

I contacted Fangamer about my backer case, they are going out separately in my region - fair enough.

my name is in the credits - can’t complain.

Dying to play it but think I’m going to do the right thing and finish the other two again before I do.  

38 minutes ago, Dave White said:

this series has a special place in my heart It seems like yesterday I was with @Stanley in his flat as we joint played the first game through to the end over a number of sessions. There is something quite magical about the atmosphere and the slow pace which completely went against all the sugar rush overkill games of that time. Playing Darts, collecting Capsule toys, and taking in the locales, and even the banality of working added to the spark once you got what you needed and unravelled the next part of the story.

I think that's why Death Stranding has got into my head, its evoking the same kind of feelings. Really cannot wait to play this.

:wub: you know it. 

As someone who never owned a Dreamcast and hasn't played the first two games, I'll be interested to hear impressions from people in a similar position of ignorance.

I thought about picking up the HD remasters as they can be had quite cheaply now, but from the reviews I've read/watched they sound like games very much or their time.

• Upvote 2

Yes I would also like to hear if this will be enjoyed by someone who’s never played the originals as it seems it could be quite a nice Christmas game. 

Am I right in thinking that in the email they sent the other day about codes, the code for the PS store (or PC equivalent) was to get the digital version of the game, and the in-game backer code is a special thing that backers could pay extra for? And that, as someone who opted for the vanilla physical PS4 version, I can safely ignore both?

7 minutes ago, Darren said:

Am I right in thinking that in the email they sent the other day about codes, the code for the PS store (or PC equivalent) was to get the digital version of the game, and the in-game backer code is a special thing that backers could pay extra for? And that, as someone who opted for the vanilla physical PS4 version, I can safely ignore both?

Yes.

I might sell my PS4 code if anyone interested, not sure just yet.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Where will I find the code for this? :lol:

EDIT: Ah, it’s on that Fangamer survey page and unlocks at 1pm.

PSN codes to download the game are currently live in the Fan Gamer Backer Survey codes section, but Backer Codes don’t appear to be live yet(?)

2 hours ago, pastry said:

The attract mode is beautiful, and so very Shenmue. Seeing this running on the hardware is so much better than any YT video.

I contacted Fangamer about my backer case, they are going out separately in my region - fair enough.

my name is in the credits - can’t complain.

Dying to play it but think I’m going to do the right thing and finish the other two again before I do.  

Attract mode...? :unsure:

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I thought about picking up the HD remasters as they can be had quite cheaply now, but from the reviews I've read/watched they sound like games very much or their time.

If you've never played them then I'd say try them first. They are a game of their time in some respects but having spent a couple of hours on the original Shenmue last night again after 18 years on my original playthough it's still a fantastic experience. OK the dialogue is a bit wooden etc but the world you explore is still as captivating and detailed as ever. Hard to explain but the Shenmue world has a certain feel about it a feeling of being somewhere else. Not sure what makes this work... The ambient sounds, the people going about their business, the day/night cycle... As you say it's cheap now why not give it a go? If you have a PC/Xbox with gamepass you can play it as part of that.

My feeling is that of you don't like the first one you probably won't like this as it will probably feel very similar (not played 3 yet.. but have it in shrink wrap sat next to me!!!).

• Upvote 1

As someone who never owned a Dreamcast and hasn't played the first two games, I'll be interested to hear impressions from people in a similar position of ignorance.

The good/bad news (depending on your view) is that the third game is also very much of that time. I personally love it. But it will come across as jarring if you haven't played the first two and experienced their idiosyncrasies.

Edit: to clarify... the controls are less tank-like and it has some of the rougher edges removed and the meta systems more well-integrated (I'm absolutely loving walking around picking up herbs to sell as sets so that I can buy more fruit to keep Ryo's health up)... but yeah, Assassin's Creed this isn't as free-roaming worlds go.

53 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yes I would also like to hear if this will be enjoyed by someone who’s never played the originals as it seems it could be quite a nice Christmas game. 

You probably would enjoy it, but Shenmue is very story led, so you certainly wouldn't get the full picture as it were. You also may not be as erm, forgiving of some of it's more quirky aspects as someone who has played and enjoyed the first two. The remasters are brilliant, cheap, and a great way to play the games on modern hardware. I'd highly recommend grabbing them and getting lost in it for a bit (Don't let modern forensic nitpicking put you off!). They are of their time , but then so is PacMan, Street Fighter 2, Mario 64 etc. Shenmue did a lot of things before they were things (Mini games, games within games, open world, real time cutscenes etc) . If you can appreciate that, you will love them.

/*Edit* If you do play them, keep us updated on your thoughts in THIS THREAD.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, murray said:

PSN codes to download the game are currently live in the Fan Gamer Backer Survey codes section, but Backer Codes don’t appear to be live yet(?)

If you mean the code you put into the game to unlock things, it's the Backer Password in your Fangamer account. :)

Make sure to close the game, claim your PSN code, then load up the game and put in your backer password. It won't register that you've claimed it back on PSN if you've still got the game running in the background and go to dashboard.

Also, pro-tip for controlling Ryo in the first two games. Hold down the trigger to make him run, and steer him like in a racing game. It makes the tank controls a lot easier to bear. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, murray said:

They are.

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Shenmue 2 movie for anyone that won't get around to playing it although it's a long one... :)

8 hour video and I am currently playing through it as part of the remaster. I am 40 mins in :lol: - I best get cracking.

• Upvote 1

It's not like you need to play the first two games to get the relevant plot info, most of them is just filler, you could do a five minute summary of everything relevant.

Ryo's dad gets killed by Lan Di, the regional head of a criminal syndicate called the Chi You Men, in revenge for his dad killing someone in Mencun. Ryo goes on a revenge mission to China and also goes through training in martial arts values along the way. The evil syndicate want two magic macguffins to summon a demon, there's some mythological theming around a demon, a dragon and a phoenix that represents the villain and the two main characters.

Most of Shenmue 2 is filler. The plan was for him to travel around China and defeat the four generals which match the four heavenly beasts in Chinese myth, but they never got far enough to introduce any of them. There's an antihero gang leader there who pops up in 3 as an ally, that's about it until Wuilan where you meet Shenhua and learn that Shenmue is er, the name of a tree species. There's another magical macguffin the Phantom River Stone which IIRC is mentioned but never introduced, and then a magic flying sword in a magic cave and a cliffhanger

EDIT: Removed from spoiler as rules aren't being enforced consistently and are being used to single me out.

Dang, just gone to it today and it's acting up :( Continuing seemed to skip a section of the game but luckily my save took me back to where I was last night. Did some more stuff, was heading to Shenhua's house (with no idea where that is) when got told my health was low and need to eat something. Went doolally on the inventory screen which left me with a pear stuck on screen during the cut scene. :( 

From what I've heard about this it seems they literally just carried on from where they left off? complete with stilted weird voice acting?

It's probably the right way to go to be honest. Can't say it's not Shenmue.

The review I saw did say that some people going in fresh might find it a little jarring by todays standards and expectations.