rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

5 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

For someone who’s never played Shenmue so doesn’t have any attachment to the series, is this worth it?

Absolutely, but do play the first two first.

The draw of this is the long-running story and the attachment you build with the characters. Jumping in with the third one would miss out on all of that. Yes they're old but they're incredible games still once you get past all that.

• Upvote 2

I actually really like the backer case. It looks like a cheap dustjacket for a hardback book from the late '90s. The font on the back is soooo tacky. It just feels right, intentionally or not. It's rather surreal that chucking, what, $30 at Kickstarter years ago has resulted in a seemingly fully fledged new Shenmue game arriving on my doormat today. I'm not sure I ever really believed it would happen.

I have fond memories of completing Shenmue on a secondhand Dreamcast I bought a couple of years after it was discontinued. I started Shenmue 2 on the same machine but played barely an hour or so of it. I've got the PS4 remasters. It's worth playing through 2, right? Save Shenmue 3 for Christmas, maybe. Two new Shenmue games for me that way!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Hodge said:

You can goto settings and manually save when ever you want aswell. 

You can? I’ve been trekking back to my house.

Also a telephone booth which doesn’t double up as a save point, annoyed me more than it should.

7 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

“This is Ryo. That’s his dad on the floor getting beaten to death by Lan Di, the guy in the green coat. Ryo’s sworn to avenge his dad and has travelled from his home in Japan to Hong Kong, and now to somewhere in China, where he’s met some cool peasant girl called Shenhua and some weird shit just happened. Now it’s time to find Lan Di once and for all and FUCK HIM UP. Get to it (but don’t forget to race some ducks too while you’re at it).”

Like, that’s all they need imo.

Record scratch - freezeframe

Thats me on the floor. And over there? That’s my dead dad, killed by some guy called Lan Di - that’s him, in the funky Chinese robes. 

You're probably wondering how I got here. It all started with this crazy mirror...

• Upvote 4

Anyone getting this or have this on the PC? Just pondering over PS4 or PC.... Think the PC specs won't be too demanding. Anyone tried it yet on the PC? If so how does it play? What sort of spec machine do you have? (my GPU is a GTX970)

TBH never really played that much of Shenmue 2 back in the day I think because of the loading times on the Dreamcast and constant grinding of the GD-ROM drive so think I need finish that first then move onto 3. 

For anyone with an Xbox and game pass Shenmue 1 & 2 are on there and are available on PC too (via Game Pass or Steam).

Although almost tempted to play from the first one again. Its been a while.....

25 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

You can? I’ve been trekking back to my house.

Also a telephone booth which doesn’t double up as a save point, annoyed me more than it should.

Yep, press R1 and goto settings. Highlight where it says save and press x. Job done.

Not really a spoiler, but it’s a bit odd that they’ve chosen the name Yuan for Shenhua’s father, as that’s the same name as the Clare Balding lookalike who pursues you throughout much of Shenmue 2. Surely it would have made more sense to pick a different name?

45 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

For someone who’s never played Shenmue so doesn’t have any attachment to the series, is this worth it?

I’ll be honest. In 2005 Shenmue was amazing and I loved it but it was clunky even then. I say don’t buy the originals before playing this. Go watch the Shenmue movie instead.

On Xbox Shenmue 2 shipped with a dvd of 

Shenmue 1 movie and I’m guessing someone somewhere has done 2 aswell...

I just feel playing the originals now might be really off putting.

My copy came this morning. After 18 years (of hurt) I can't believe it's in my hands. It's like the equivalent return of Twin Peaks for me.

Absolute goosebumps when the title screen came on, cannot believe I'm about to play it.

A few minutes in and Ryu says "I see" - my wife and I pissing ourselves at it, like a greatest hits of his dialogue.

Bought a toy capsule of myself driving a forklift.

Everyone so far is bizarre looking and the dialogue is as weirdly stilted and awkward before....which means for me it's perfect so far. 

Looks very pretty too.

Been avoiding anything since the original trailer and the contention over Ryu's design, so looking forward to going into this completely blind.

Again, cannot believe this is here. Amazing times.

But need some batshit mega fans to reverse engineer it and recreate it on the Dreamcast stripping assets from the original game or something :)

shenmue.jpg

• Upvote 6

"I just feel playing the originals now might be really off putting."

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm playing 1 for the first time at the moment, with no real prior knowledge beyond a decade of rllmuk asides. Half an hour in and the more archaic mechanics and controls are eclipsed and forgotten by a really unique game that feels fresh and rewarding in 2019. Strange tank controls but you get used to them.

It'd likely be different if I were 15 and had grown up with the visual fidelity of Gears and Halo etc, but yeah no problem for most 30+'s I reckon. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

"I just feel playing the originals now might be really off putting."

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm playing 1 for the first time at the moment, with no real prior knowledge beyond a decade of rllmuk asides. Half an hour in and the more archaic mechanics and controls are eclipsed and forgotten by a really unique game that feels fresh and rewarding in 2019. Strange tank controls but you get used to them. 

It'd likely be different if I were 15 and had grown up with the visual fidelity of Gears and Halo etc, but yeah no problem for most 30+'s I reckon. 

The first is all about that small town atmosphere for me - if you've grown up anywhere a bit like that then I think it resonates regardless of tank controls. Watched the recap movie for Shenmue 3 and forgot so much of both of them...feels like you've been on a genuine journey meeting people by the time it's all over.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a game that needs to be played and lived in much more than some other games that can be watched through Let's Plays or the above (official) movie and be be experienced effectively. I'd watch Celeste before watching someone else toddling around Shenmue, robbed of all agency to meander. 

I've played it for a couple of hours tonight, not really making much progress just wandering around the opening area talking to everyone and seeing what's about. After playing the first two games at the start of the year the biggest change is how weird the open spaces feel. Shenmue has always felt tight and confined to me so having this much open space feels odd. I'm still thinking about not playing it until I'm off work for Christmas when I can dedicate some time to it instead of the odd hour here and there. Shenmue has always been a Christmas game for, I completed the Dreamcast games at Christmas, the remasters last Christmas and feel it would be right to leave this game until then as well. I've waited 18 years, another four weeks won't hurt.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Anyone getting this or have this on the PC? Just pondering over PS4 or PC.... Think the PC specs won't be too demanding. Anyone tried it yet on the PC? If so how does it play? What sort of spec machine do you have? (my GPU is a GTX970)

I've got a meagre GTX660Ti so I hope it's not too demanding! :lol:

I meet the min specs, just about. I don't mind locking it to 30fps if I have to.

I am very much enjoying the way in which Ryo, having not changed his pants in three months, is now taking his quest to be the smelliest man in China to a new level by eating garlic eight times a day. 

• Upvote 1

Where the F is my backer slipcase then, eh? I received just the everyday PS4 case on its own (yes, with a disc in it..). Bah!

I can't decide if I can handle the wait to finish the first two again before starting this... oh for the time I'd have had when this should've come out as a Dreamcast 2 launch game in 2004!

Streamed this for 8 & 1/2 hours. This was worth the wait. It's everything I expected it to be and yet it keeps doing small things to surprise me in a big way.
I'm not going to spoil anything but as always, check all the cupboards and draws you come across.

So I ordered the PS4 physical version on kickstarter back in 2017 but lost access to the email it was assigned to a while ago - am I fucked?

2 hours ago, murray said:

WHERE'S MY BLOODY CODE, LADS.

Log into your Fangamer account, it’s in there. Your codes will show above where you (presumably) got the Trial Version code. Search your inbox for Fangamer if you’ve forgotten your login. :)

Mine said code not available until 1300gmt. I mean, I'm at work all day but it could be downloaded on my PC.  I'd own Shenmue 3!!

1300 lunch and a bit of pain trying to copy and paste a code via remote desktop I feel...

There's some massive frustration and disappointment at Kickstarter with many backers complaining about lack of communication from Fangamer, not being included in the credits, loveless sleeves/cases and receiving their copies/codes late: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/comments

I have to agree and am quite disappointed to receive it that late, after non-backers were able to purchase it many days ago.

12 minutes ago, alex3d said:

I have to agree and am quite disappointed to receive it that late, after non-backers were able to purchase it many days ago.

Backers got the physical version early. It's not Kickstarter/Fangamer/Ys fault retailers broke the street date.

6 hours ago, murray said:

Shenmue 3 codes are available in the Backer Survey!!!!

What's the address for that? I checked previous messages on KS and I don't see anything, not kept any older emails either.

Edit.  Ignore! Found it. Can resend it here if you've lost it. 

The email will take you straight to the site where all the codes should appear at 1pm.

44 minutes ago, alex3d said:

There's some massive frustration and disappointment at Kickstarter with many backers complaining about lack of communication from Fangamer, not being included in the credits, loveless sleeves/cases and receiving their copies/codes late: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/comments

The Kickstarter comments have been an absolute trash fire since the EGS announcement. Even after refunds were offered they could still comment and basically just shat on the game for the last 4 months. On Shenmue Dojo we've had multiple people complain they aren't in the credits, but we found them.

As for non-backers being able to purchase it many days ago, how's that anyone but a retailers fault for breaking street date? I won't get my copy till today. Digital copies don't go live until today.  Missing sleeves is a legitimate complaint, but have any of them tried to contact fangamer/spiral galaxy who likely have spares on hand, or just bitched about it in the comments?

Regarding the credits, not having them alphabetically seemed a bizarre choice. No wonder people couldn’t find themselves.