Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

Done a few hours on Shenmue 3 now (can't remember last time I played a game this much in one day haha)

Starting to get hang of fighting system now as it has been altered a fair bit from the previous 2. Don't seem to be any throws upto yet, not sure about later. (I want my dark side hazuki) There are plenty of sparing partners though to help hone your skills.

Another thing I noticed is, that it doesn't open up bailu village in one go, rather takes the approach of opening up areas bit by bit as you advance through the story which keeps you focused on one area and gets you curious what it's gonna reveal next. 

Plenty of dialog conversations with shenua at the end of the evenings, which opens up ryu and shenuas background which is a nice touch.

Also a mention to health system, don't take long to get used to and can't make my mind up if I prefer it or not. But it definitely gives food/drink meaning now though.

Been a long time that a game has got me this excited and can't wait to get back to it.

9 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Also a mention to health system, don't take long to get used to and can't make my mind up if I prefer it or not. But it definitely gives food/drink meaning now though.

Been a long time that a game has got me this excited and can't wait to get back to it.

My copy turned up!

I don't even have a PS4 yet!

When I backed this I imagined that I would have bought one by now, but to be honest my lack of interest in anything new gaming related has just put the kibosh on it. I find the gaming industry a really ugly cynical thing these days and beyond a handful of titles I don't have much interest. However now I actually have a PS4 game worth caring about maybe it's time to take the plunge. Like you it's been a long time since a game has had me this excited. 

I'd read about the health system but I'm hoping it's done well. I always felt in the first two that it needed to be given a purpose. As long as it isn't grindy then I'm up for it.

The Kickstarter page is full of people complaining about how basic the backer cover is. But while I do partly regret it when the retail offerings are much more interesting like the UK CE I'm glad in a small well I helped it actually get made. I assume we get the backer codes tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The Kickstarter page is full of people complaining about how basic the backer cover is. But while I do partly regret it when the retail offerings are much more interesting like the UK CE I'm glad in a small well I helped it actually get made. I assume we get the backer codes tomorrow?

Yup. I'm staying up til midnight to see if it arrives.

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Are trophies not enabled yet, they don’t even show them at all on my machine? I’m playing on a base PS4 and it is loud but nothing as bad as other here have and it’s still a lot quieter than my Dreamcast ever was.

Yes trophies are working, I`ve unlocked a few.

Oh wow. So it looks like from what I've played so far you have to Save the game like you did in the original and go to your bed?! :lol:

It then had the audacity to pop up the words "auto save complete". IF I HAVE TO MANUALLY DO SOMETHING TO SAVE THE GAME THEN ITS NOT AN AUTO SAVE YU SUZUKI!

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Am I likely to miss anything by starting before the 13Gb update has installed?

I started it without the update installed and performance wise everything looked fine. Apart from having 5 second loading screens after the smallest of things.

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

It then had the audacity to pop up the words "auto save complete". IF I HAVE TO MANUALLY DO SOMETHING TO SAVE THE GAME THEN ITS NOT AN AUTO SAVE YU SUZUKI!

It's both.

9 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Oh wow. So it looks like from what I've played so far you have to Save the game like you did in the original and go to your bed?! :lol:

You can goto settings and manually save when ever you want aswell. 

This is totally unreal. I keep expecting to wake up. Having MY ACTUAL NAME in the credits, albeit along with another 60,000 people is insane. If I'd have told 18-years-ago-me that I'd have my name in Shenmue III I'd have worried about my future sanity.

5 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

For someone who’s never played Shenmue so doesn’t have any attachment to the series, is this worth it?

Absolutely, but do play the first two first.

The draw of this is the long-running story and the attachment you build with the characters. Jumping in with the third one would miss out on all of that. Yes they're old but they're incredible games still once you get past all that.

I actually really like the backer case. It looks like a cheap dustjacket for a hardback book from the late '90s. The font on the back is soooo tacky. It just feels right, intentionally or not. It's rather surreal that chucking, what, $30 at Kickstarter years ago has resulted in a seemingly fully fledged new Shenmue game arriving on my doormat today. I'm not sure I ever really believed it would happen.

I have fond memories of completing Shenmue on a secondhand Dreamcast I bought a couple of years after it was discontinued. I started Shenmue 2 on the same machine but played barely an hour or so of it. I've got the PS4 remasters. It's worth playing through 2, right? Save Shenmue 3 for Christmas, maybe. Two new Shenmue games for me that way!

7 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

“This is Ryo. That’s his dad on the floor getting beaten to death by Lan Di, the guy in the green coat. Ryo’s sworn to avenge his dad and has travelled from his home in Japan to Hong Kong, and now to somewhere in China, where he’s met some cool peasant girl called Shenhua and some weird shit just happened. Now it’s time to find Lan Di once and for all and FUCK HIM UP. Get to it (but don’t forget to race some ducks too while you’re at it).”

Like, that’s all they need imo.

Record scratch - freezeframe

Thats me on the floor. And over there? That’s my dead dad, killed by some guy called Lan Di - that’s him, in the funky Chinese robes. 

You're probably wondering how I got here. It all started with this crazy mirror...

Anyone getting this or have this on the PC? Just pondering over PS4 or PC.... Think the PC specs won't be too demanding. Anyone tried it yet on the PC? If so how does it play? What sort of spec machine do you have? (my GPU is a GTX970)

TBH never really played that much of Shenmue 2 back in the day I think because of the loading times on the Dreamcast and constant grinding of the GD-ROM drive so think I need finish that first then move onto 3. 

For anyone with an Xbox and game pass Shenmue 1 & 2 are on there and are available on PC too (via Game Pass or Steam).

Although almost tempted to play from the first one again. Its been a while.....

25 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

You can? I’ve been trekking back to my house.

Also a telephone booth which doesn’t double up as a save point, annoyed me more than it should.

Yep, press R1 and goto settings. Highlight where it says save and press x. Job done.

Not really a spoiler, but it’s a bit odd that they’ve chosen the name Yuan for Shenhua’s father, as that’s the same name as the Clare Balding lookalike who pursues you throughout much of Shenmue 2. Surely it would have made more sense to pick a different name?