Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

It looks so very Shenmue! The camera angles, the liberal sprinklings of temples and arches, Ryo's grunts etc.. it's Shenmue!

I think it was a good decision to watch the Japanese language trailer first though, because I can't tell how bad the acting (still) is. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Mitchell said:

...and no refunds for anyone disappointed by that bait and switch.

Untitled.thumb.png.de5d43088e13a659d67e9e43f14ac885.png

If they specifically said Steam in the kickstarter, then they can say no refunds all they like but in the UK that's very illegal most likely.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If they specifically said Steam in the kickstarter, then they can say no refunds all they like but in the UK that's very illegal most likely.

Found in comment section of EG. It lacks context, the below grab could be from any game on Kickstarter, but according from reports it is from Shenmue 3.

VfnYmOt.png

• Upvote 1

User Banned (3 Days): Thread Derailment, Resetera-phobia, casual use of a word that could trigger Chernobyl survivors.

35 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

The 50 page meltdown thread on Outragesetera is incredible

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1
24 minutes ago, df0 said:

Found in comment section of EG. It lacks context, the below grab could be from any game on Kickstarter, but according from reports it is from Shenmue 3.

VfnYmOt.png

Yeah, I remember that was there because I changed my mind on what format to get a couple of times and went back to it.

7 hours ago, alex3d said:

The game looks like a modern Dreamcast game --> perfect!

It looks exactly like the games that flopped and were a large part of why Sega had to leave the hardware business! Yessssss!

• Empathy 1
4 hours ago, mdn2 said:

In the Kickstarter it didn't but when choosing your options, one of them was for a Steam key. 

Then they're at the very least obligated to allow people to switch to PS4 I guess? Not as a gesture of goodwill, but according to whatever the law says about such stuff. Looking at the outrage over this, I'm willing to bet we'll find out soon enough. The angry gamers aren't going to let this one go. And tbh, they should have done what Metro did: honor existing pre-orders on Steam, but sell the game for everyone else on Epic. This is a bit of a shitty move.

18 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

It looks like a remake of a game which was released 15 years ago. :D

I think I might pretend that's exactly what this is. Like, it came out ages ago, but due to a weird series of mishaps I never managed to play it until they released the HD version 15 years later.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, df0 said:

VfnYmOt.png

Then that does at least feel legally.... interesting.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

This is a bit of a shitty move.

An understatement. It's on par with Bethesda's "too bad you do not like the plastic bag we gave you instead of the canvas one advertised. And no we will not fix this" attitude.

Can we be frank here and I am going to grossly exaggerate, but no one but fans backed this on Kickstarter. Delay after delay after delay fans kept backing and believing. And now they're being told "Hey, about that choice you made? Yeah too bad mate. No refund."

Surely Ys Net have to come up with a solution, but it's the above attitude that pisses people off. And rightfully so.

hahahaha.  Fuck me that's terrible.   FF7 going episodic and charging £60 per episode and now this.   E3's can be smoke and mirrors but that E3 of Dreams really is a big steaming turd now, what 4 years down the line?

edit: some real salty Shenmue/FF7 posters on here. Easy on the negs boys. I'm nearly crying here. 

• Empathy 1

I'm mildly peeved at having to install a different PC client. No biggie.

I'm more concerned that my rapidly ageing PC won't actually run the game as well as I hoped it would four years ago.

Yeah, I'd consider changing to PS4 if they're forced to offer the option now.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Shoes said:

It looks exactly like the games that flopped and were a large part of why Sega had to leave the hardware business! Yessssss!

Yeah, which is why I hope Yu will end the series with Shenmue 3. It's not going to be a massive success.

Clipped from my email:

legally-interesting.png.1ef3b14a8ac65d6a9938d51acac57d1c.png

Hmm. I guess it shows how much the PC gaming landscape has changed in the meantime though - they didn't even really consider the possibility of distributing on any platform other than Valve's.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Hmm. I guess it shows how much of a bigger cut they wanted of the sales.

Steam's 30% cut for doing basically nothing is looking a little offensive these days given the alternatives that exist, and I can understand why publishers are shopping around for alternatives. Really don't understand why more publishers don't just pass the cost onto the consumer, and let them vote with their wallets - exclusives are never the answer. Epic is just trying to force people to install their launcher and then hope they stick around. Competition is a good thing, and god knows Valve need some, but I would prefer a carrot to a stick.

It probably bears mentioning that Valve allow the creation of unlimited steam keys for games purchased on other platforms (quite normal for games purchased on Humble Bundle or Kickstarter), for which they recieve absolutely nothing. So there's really no financial reason, at least in term of sales revenue, to not allow crowdfunding backers to install the game via Steam.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Liamness said:

Clipped from my email:

legally-interesting.png.1ef3b14a8ac65d6a9938d51acac57d1c.png

Hmm. I guess it shows how much the PC gaming landscape has changed in the meantime though - they didn't even really consider the possibility of distributing on any platform other than Valve's.

Tencent's cash wasn't on the table then.

• Upvote 1