Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

• 2 months later...

Two new screens. Character models have had another revision and the lighting more natural:

jpg

That's my Ryo!

jpg

Info from Ghosttrick @ resetera.

"-Regarding our "Shibuya Crazy Time" I told you earlier, Shenmue III, our game releasing on August 27th 2019, Mr Yu Suzuki will be there, during a conference dedicated to Shenmue III. I insist on "dedicated" which means we'll really get into details about the game. We'll also have a new trailer, really extensive, dedicated to the MAGIC, that's a world premiere so I think the worldwide gaming press might be interested in that.
-Here I'm showing you new screenshots of Shenmue III, that never were shown before. So here you have this one (the first one shown on his twitter feed), to keep you waiting until the full event.
-I have more to say about the game, so I'm taking my notes here so that I make no mistakes. So... Well as you know, MAGIC is organized by Shibuya Productions, co-producer of Shenmue III and thanks to our partners YsNet, developper of the game and Deep Silver, publisher of the game, we'll have the possibility to show some gameplay of the game to certain/a few selected people. I cant tell you yet how they'll be selected but there'll be gameplay for the game, at the MAGIC, so it's a big news as it's a world premiere as MAGIC will be the first event where Shenmue III will have such a spotlight.
-I'm taking this opportunity to talk about something, a small detail that'll make fans happy, we'll make a special Shenmue III t-shirt, sold only at the MAGIC, an official MAGIC Shenmue III t-shirt, in limited quantities.
-I think I said all about Shenmue III for now, which is not bad for now."

March 19th is the date for Magic Monaco.

1 hour ago, Jei said:

Does anyone know when backers will be emailed to ask them where to have it delivered to? 

I'm waiting for this too. I'm worried it'll be like a lot of Kickstarters where the physical rewards get sent long after the game comes out.

1 minute ago, Jei said:

For the delivery address?!

A survey is now available for Shenmue 3! Click on "Your Backer Survey" below to finalize your address and other information. Please fill this out as soon as possible! We can't start shipping until everyone gives us their information.

On 23/08/2017 at 12:25, Down by Law said:

A few years ago Shenmue 3 was discussed like Half Life 3 is now and here it is, and people are moaning about work in progress faces...I just don't get it. Do people seriously believe a team capable of creating beautiful , detail rich environments like that are suddenly incapable of modelling character faces? I expect the average neogaf poster but not mukkers...we should know better

shenmue3e5kov.png

I mean, who knows how it's going to turn out, but looking at such an improvement in a reportedly massive game makes me wonder what the Bloodstained team are actually up too...

• 1 month later...

Graphically it's more than lovely enough for my liking now. But if that's the much anticipated big gameplay reveal we were supposed to be getting from MAGIC Monaco, it's very disappointing. All cutscenes and fighting animations, no gameplay. Feels no different from any other trailer we've seen for it so far (other than graphically better, obviously). I'm a little worried that they're so reluctant to show the basic stuff - Ryo wandering around, buying stuff from shops, picking up items, selecting from dialogue trees, button prompts, HUD, whatever. Isn't it supposed to be out in August?

EDGE magazine have seen it in action, they seemed positive so I don't see any reason to be worried, it's still 5 months away. The official US PlayStation site is so far out of date, they are still using the original E3 teaser artwork FFS! and there aren't any official pre-order bonuses for normal retail customers yet either, so nobody is gearing up to drum up business just yet for the game.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/shenmue-iii-ps4/

We've come a long way from the Hollywood film adaption of Shenmue III :P

shenmue-iii-screen-01-ps4-us-15jun15?$Me

I'm really digging the cartoonish faces on the new characters, they've done a great job keeping the style of the originals even as they've pushed the technology far further. Very much looking forward to this.

Thanks to the link being posted on here I finally did my survey and gave my address for delivery. I've seen people in meltdown over the graphics but all things considered I'm fine with how the game looks. It's not a triple A project and they've clearly used exaggeration of features for things like facial expressions which is good enough of a compromise if not a bit old fashioned.
The environments look fantastic however, they clearly wanted to prioritise the setting over anything else.

This looks lovely to me, more than what I'd hoped for graphically, to be honest. Are people actually complaining about the graphics? God those people annoy me, you'd think they'd be happy enough the game even exists at all let alone look as good as it currently does. 

I think they've done a good job of trying to keep the original style. The original games featured pretty heavily exaggerated, and often freakish and flamboyant character designs. The game's look was never photorealistic and that was always part of its charm. Certainly the faces in the Dreamcast games did have a unique depth and richness, but that probably would have been difficult or costly to translate to modern technology. It looks great either way, and in particular the environments which I'm pleased seem to be being prioritised.

I might have a media black out on Shenmue 3 from here onwards, if I can find the strength not to feverishly consume each new morsel we get.

It looks spectacular to me, I absolutely love the art style – probably because it reminds me quite a lot of "old Sega". It has so much character.

Seeing Ryo beaten down like this makes me wonder if we will see any conclusion - how he could progress far enough in his training to beat Lan Di in the space of this game without some kind of time progression? Perhaps I am just not considering the more supernatural side we saw at the end of Shenmue 2. And of course, perhaps he's never meant to beat Lan Di directly.. 

Haven't they said that this won't be the conclusion? Last I read Yu Suzuki was still saying that the game would need another sequel or two. Basically this one needs to sell, so we all need to be sure to buy it, and perhaps even buy a second copy, in fact why not a third?