Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I love how they've been able to give this game a lovely, nostalgic retro feel with the PS2-like character models and the N64-like framerate. Can't wait :wub:

The framerate is because whoever ripped the video fucked it up.

The original at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2267518 doesn't do that.

6 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Actually seeing Lan Di in the trailer has made me really happy, as if even the full 16 part story arc does not get produced depending on Shenmue III's performance, we may still get closure/vengeance for Iwao regardless. . .

They knew this ages ago - I can't remember how many exactly, but Shenmue 2 was classed as multiple chapters in the storyline.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

They knew this ages ago - I can't remember how many exactly, but Shenmue 2 was classed as multiple chapters in the storyline.

Shenmue Doji has a good breakdown.

Original DC mag photo. 

chapitres.gif

In order from the earliest design:

- 16 chapters - in one whole game - saturn prototype - (probably not openworld)
then
- 16 chapters over 3 games - with 5/6 chapters per game. (beginning of openworld concept)
then
- reduced to 11 chapters - (still 3 games) (speculation - this is the Lan Di revenge arc) - chapters 11-16 are 'Ryo's new challenge' - maybe searching for Tentei?)
then
- development moves to dreamcast - (11 chapters - now Suzuki ideally want 5+ games each with the new intensive open world ambition)
shenmue 1 intended to be chapters 1 and 2 together (of concept sketches ) but open world turns out much richer than originally planned - chapter 1 becomes just one game - 'shenmue 1: yokosuka' then released.
then
- shenmue 2 is chapter 2 (of concept sketches) - but now split into 2 chapters (3 - Wanchai, 4 - kowloon) - then Suzuki makes the decision to include chapter 5 (of concept sketches) 'meeting shenhua in guilin' towards the end of shenmue 2 development - so he skips chapter 3 and 4 completely (of concept sketches)

That makes sense as I recall originally the boat part was supposed to be the start of 2 - he fights chai again.

So... 

Shenmue II was 2-5 -  the very, very start of 5.

Has that definitely been confirmed?

That breakdown above is very old and I'm not sure if it's ever been announced what "this version" of Shenmue 3 will actually be. 

We have moved on a lot since Shenmue's original incarnation, and the potential to fit more into one game is definitely there. 

Part of me  does think that they will try for another game after this though. Just based on the fact once they've put this game together it will be faster to knock out a sequel. 

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

A bunch of the chapters were just filler though, like the various boat chapters that just linked different locations, but still had to be fully explorable locations with filler plot events rather than just transitions.

He really needed an editor.

There's a great article in this month's Edge with Toshihiro Nagoshi. He was drafted in to get Shenmue into a finished state. Apparently Yu Suzuki refused to write down a plan before starting any games, and thus would often change his mind about things mid-development.

16 hours ago, Doomguy said:

That makes sense as I recall originally the boat part was supposed to be the start of 2 - he fights chai again.

So... 

Shenmue II was 2-5 -  the very, very start of 5.

Chapter 2 was essentially never filmed/made, it only exists as an official comic, which is why you get the talk with the little girl and her mother at the start of Shenmue II/Chapter 3 as apparently you saved her from Chai during Chapter 2 (never read it).

You can get a sense of what the rest of the series was originally planned to involve from the CGI renders included in the Project Berkley disc, Shenhua would likely KO Ryo in one hit :P

5 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

"Shenmue 4 coming 2035"

Hmmm... might not be far from the truth :D Only problem as I see it with Shenmue... we might never get to see the story concluded. This was part of  the thing that put me off playing through Shenmue 2 at the time... Like to see the conclusion of a story... anyway might be still playing or waiting when I retire.. :D

Not that bothered about the conclusion personally, the journey was more than worth the time invested and if you haven't played Shenmue II (which is apparently quite a lot of people who did play Shenmue), you're missing out on a superior and more epic gaming experience!

14 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Not that bothered about the conclusion personally, the journey was more than worth the time invested and if you haven't played Shenmue II (which is apparently quite a lot of people who did play Shenmue), you're missing out on a superior and more epic gaming experience!

:) Played around 3-4 hours of Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast back in the day... loading put me off a bit - felt like very slow progress. Looking forward to trying again. It will be great to play on hardware that isn't being pushed to the limit this time...

God I fucking love Shen 2, it was 9th in my top 20 in our top 100 from a few years ago. 

9. Shenmue II

- I've not played this in nearly 14 years (mainly because I want to play the first one again and my DC is knackered) but I still have incredibly fond memories of the game. At the time, the final hour of disc 3 was perhaps the greatest thing I'd ever played. Doing away with some of the annoyances of the first game (no more waiting around !) as far as I'm concerned this was Sega's glory days swansong and what a hell of a way to go out.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently:

Backers: 81,087

Funding Total: $7,179,510

There are now less than 10 months left until the release date on August 27, 2019!

System Requirements for PC Version

Minimum:  

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)  

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better  

Memory: 4 GB RAM  

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)  

DirectX: Version 11  

Network: Broadband internet connection  

Storage: 100 GB available space  

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card  

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.  

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

as per the latest kickstarter update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2342447