Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

Love the fact that the prior posts before the announcement was literally Revival calling it.

I'm all for "take the time you need" but at some point the money WILL run out and if the game isn't in a good enough state it will get cancelled, it's that simple.

If you have a game that is almost ready to go, you can work out a fairly definitive time/date for release. The fact that they've moved to "2019" is pretty scary, as to me it means that based on the current state of the game, they have no idea when they will be able to finish it.

1 minute ago, Goemon said:

I'm all for "take the time you need" but at some point the money WILL run out and if the game isn't in a good enough state it will get cancelled, it's that simple.

They've looked at the budget and they've seen they can afford to delay it, if they couldn't they'd push it out and fix shit post launch.

1 minute ago, Goemon said:

It's Yu Suzuki - it'll be fine. You wouldn't be saying a Miyamoto title will get cancelled if it's not good enough. Same applies.

It will definitely be released.

18 hours ago, TehStu said:

I think we're all being overly kind, but yeah, if they're not going to run out of money then they're better off giving it some extra development time rather than hitting some arbitrary date.

What do you mean by this? The complaint has always been the scepticism that the known amounts of money they've raised from the initial Kickstarter wasn't enough to do a sequel properly, now they've been given the luxury a lot of indies would love of a financial time extension to do it better. This is something it actually shares with a surprising amount of games, they all take way more money and time than originally planned, both being interchangeable in terms of game development as people need feeding constantly.

Quite frankly, if Deep Silver or a platform holder wants to chuck a load of money at them to further increase the scope and level of polish, I will not complain, I will welcome that news with open arms :)

I think we're all being overly kind.

I get the desire to play a game, but rushing a game to market is never going to end well. Sony may get a lot of stick this gen for the amount of delays they've made to their big titles but you can't argue that that hasn't been to the benefit of the game and the team working on it. I'll always applaud a company that is happy to delay a title when they know it isn't ready.

What do you mean by this? The complaint has always been the scepticism that the known amounts of money they've raised from the initial Kickstarter wasn't enough to do a sequel properly, now they've been given the luxury a lot of indies would love of a financial time extension to do it better. This is something it actually shares with a surprising amount of games, they all take way more money and time than originally planned, both being interchangeable in terms of game development as people need feeding constantly.

Quite frankly, if Deep Silver or a platform holder wants to chuck a load of money at them to further increase the scope and level of polish, I will not complain, I will welcome that news with open arms :)

I mean that, in general, release dates slipping aren't looked at favourably. Crackdown 3, for example. I haven't played either Shenmue I or II, so am not looking at this through the same lens as you. As you can see from the rest of my quote, I understand it's better to finish a game rather than rush to hit a random line in the sand. 

From the typical ravenous day1 buyers viewpoint, then yes I agree, delays are not looked at kindly as they need constant feeding of content to consume. In this particular case, the original planned release date was based on their available funding, but since then they've had effectively multiple time extensions funded, but this is actually fairly common, even for the most expensive games, just look at Rockstar North, can't hit an initial deadline to save their fucking lives :lol: The same is true for a lot of the bigger Kickstarter games too, many have missed their initial budgeted target date.

THQ Nordic put out some info about the various developers they are working with and stated the team size working fulltime on Shenmue III, it was listed as 45 people, which for an openworld game is miniscule (this clearly doesn't include the usual outsourced stuff which a lot of developers these days rely on for the stuff not important enough to use expensive fulltime staff on, an Indian company has been contracted for that purpose):

screenshot-2018-5-17tn4pa3.png

THQ Nordic also had an updated cinematic trailer listed as pre-Alpha during their recent investor meeting, you can find it on the usual places, along with the usual bitching about it ;)

23 hours ago, mushashi said:

THQ Nordic put out some info about the various developers they are working with and stated the team size working fulltime on Shenmue III, it was listed as 45 people, which for an openworld game is miniscule (this clearly doesn't include the usual outsourced stuff which a lot of developers these days rely on for the stuff not important enough to use expensive fulltime staff on, an Indian company has been contracted for that purpose):

I recall GTA 4 being about 150 and I'm assuming GTA V was 500 plus. 

Shenmue is a different beast, mind. If they keep to a tight number of NPCs and the scale closer to Shenmue 1 it should be doable with 45. e.g. Sleeping Dogs was pretty massive and the team was 50 to 60. 

The comments from people who keep a closer eye on the development than I can be bothered to indicate the injection of cash from Deep Silver has allowed them to increase the scope somewhat in the areas mentioned in the Kickstarter. If you apply the standard burnrate formula for game development, $100,000 per employee per year (more if you're somebody like Visceral (RIP) and less if you're CD Projekt RED or getting rebates from the Canadian authorities), it'd be a reasonable assumption to assume that Deep Silver are putting in over $5 Million for the development alone.

Well you've got to spend money to make money :P For comparison, the newest Tomb Raider is costing $75-$100 Million in production costs alone, and that is being built in Canada too. The average potential buyer demands polish and content if you expect them to hand over money so that's the way you have to play the game if you want to stand any chance of making a good return on investment.

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Revival said:

Not even so much as a tiny snippet of gameplay. This has got to be miles and miles away.

2020+ I reckon.

It's a fair guess but also shenmue III would also be a perfect "released now" mic drop at the relevant later conference. General audience and anyone under 20 probably don't give a shit and the E3 audience is a perfect time for max impact and slightly fevered, possibly drunk, orders and downloads.

Probably still be 2020 as it is but it doesn't surprise me that they might let it go quiet to build the hype again.

Or they don't know what they're doing :D

2 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'd be extremely surprised if it's shown at another E3 - it's just too far away from the mega-blockbuster space visually that it would probably do it more harm than good.

Better off showing at PSX, PGW or TGS.

That's weird. It's a huge Sony supported project with one of the strongest reactions I've ever seen at E3, why wouldn't they want to to show it there again? The boost for the audience would be huge and give Sony a lot of good will.

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

That's weird. It's a huge Sony supported project with one of the strongest reactions I've ever seen at E3, why wouldn't they want to to show it there again? The boost for the audience would be huge and give Sony a lot of good will.

It's not huge to Sony, not really. The nit-picking online on the visual quality would only be amplified by an E3 showing. Game is being published by Deep Silver - E3 isn't the place for it IMHO.

7 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's not huge to Sony, not really. The nit-picking online on the visual quality would only be amplified by an E3 showing. Game is being published by Deep Silver - E3 isn't the place for it IMHO.

Did you miss the E3 when it happened? Was one of the biggest and best E3's they'd ever done in front of a worldwide audience. Was a center piece and broke KS records, very good press, very easy to do with some exclusive gameplay footage before they release it. Why turn that down?