Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

Oh, just remembered something else, for anybody wondering why Shenmue and Shenmue II have never been re-released, this recent interview with a Spanish dev who ported a few old games might shed some light on it, it wasn't a technical problem:

Then we thought it would be a good idea to showcase Sonic CD, Jet Set Radio and Shenmue working on the emulators to Sega, with the prospect of a commercial release for the consoles of that time. They showed interest in Sonic CD and Jet Set Radio

Blitworks did get the contract to port the first two to PC as a result.

There might be some legal bullshit related to the technology behind it too though, but there is enough evidence out there that they have done some work on porting it internally too, but canned it for whatever reason.

I think I might have to figure out how to use Demul and play the original again in 1080p, maybe even the undub that was available, and then the Spanish developed uncensored Shenmue II when that gets released. I always knew they had censored it in some way but didn't realise they had actually re-recorded the voice of Yuan, it was odd considering they supposedly changed the sex of the character but he sounded like a woman to me :P

I didn't see it mentioned, but Yu Suzuki confirmed he's hired back the bloke who did the 3D modelling for the first 2 games, so that should fix the problems with the current 3D models. The Shenmue HD mockup done in UE4 by a Korean fan shows what is possible with that engine.

Christ, I've not heard that tune in fifteen years. Someone hold me.

Same here, I was 16 when I finished Shenmue 2 and I'll be 32 when 3 hits.

I started playing Shenmue when I was a youthful 26. I'll be 44 when I start playing Shenmue III.

...and still filled with awe and wonder :)

Someone has just started a thread on GAF saying Shenmue has just been announced on IOS by Sega....

Lets hope this either isn't true or or the beginning of the HD collection on consoles and PC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=172638589#post172638589

EDIT : Panic over! its just the soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960/photo/1

On July 17th, the Kickstarter campaign for Shenmue III drew to a finish. Because of you, the backers and the fans, Shenmue III set the Guinness record for the fastest game to reach $1 million, past the funding goal of $2 million in just 8 and a half hours, set the record for video games on Kickstarter, and became the 6th most funded project on Kickstarter, collecting $6.33 million.

All of this was accomplished by your efforts. Through the illustrations you drew, the videos you produced, and all that you did throughout the campaign, I could not help but feel the deep love you have for Shenmue.

Even after 14 years have gone by, to see this outpouring of support is something one as a creator can only dream of. There can be no better feeling than what you have given me, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

We have just started getting into development, and as we move ahead, I will listen to all of you to make Shenmue III even better.

I thank you again all for your support, and wholeheartedly look forward to the rest of our journey together.

Yu Suzuki

Someone has just started a thread on GAF saying Shenmue has just been announced on IOS by Sega....

Lets hope this either isn't true or or the beginning of the HD collection on consoles and PC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=172638589#post172638589

EDIT : Panic over! its just the soundtrack.

https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960/photo/1

Much to my surprise Sega have released a fair few of their classic soundtracks on iTunes. The brilliant soundtrack to Skies of Arcadia is on there for example.

I watched the translated NicoNico interview that was done a week before the end of the Kickstarter, some interesting stuff in it, the interviewer was fairly enthusiastic in his own way about it and it did shed some light on the Japanese fan perspective. I'd probably avoid watching it if spoilers bother you as Yu Suzuki does shed some light on various facets of the upcoming game.

One bit of trivia he did reveal was that the Train chapter from the Project Berkley reveal got axed ages ago, so never gonna experience that scenario unfortunately.

I watched the translated NicoNico interview that was done a week before the end of the Kickstarter, some interesting stuff in it, the interviewer was fairly enthusiastic in his own way about it and it did shed some light on the Japanese fan perspective. I'd probably avoid watching it if spoilers bother you as Yu Suzuki does shed some light on various facets of the upcoming game.

One bit of trivia he did reveal was that the Train chapter from the Project Berkley reveal got axed ages ago, so never gonna experience that scenario unfortunately.

Got any more info on that train chapter? Never heard of that part before.

Nope, you just have to watch the Project Berkley CGI trailer from the bonus disc bundled with the Dreamcast port of VF3TB.

It seemed quite action orientated, it's the only reason anybody even knew there was a bit on a train, as it isn't illustrated as one of the 11 chapter themes or been mentioned since that original reveal. This is the first time he talked about it to my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Posting links without comment is really great for discussion on the forum.

Edit: Deleting them in a huff is even better Revival.

The Point - How Did Shenmue 3 Raise $6.3 Million?

I thought it was very interesting how Gio Corsi talked about the budget for the game. As many of us have correctly presumed 6.2 million is a healthy amount for what they want to achieve, and the technology today is very different of the technology of 14 years ago. Seeing Sony being realistic about it's commercial success is really reassuring too - it's about the prestige of it all, and being involved with something historic.

Incredibly excited all over again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an update. It's happening guys! :bye:

Hello Backers!

It has been a while since our last post here on Update section. Sorry everyone! We are sure many of your concerns right now boil down to, "How is Shenmue III moving along?". So today, we have a brief interview with Yu about the progress of the project, and future plans. Without further chatter, here we go.

Q: How is the production progress going?

A: Please take a look at this diagram. So far, we have finished the composition, story, planning and the game flow. We will be advancing to the next development step soon.

a7ad0b7fce20334d14e1e221a1f64870_origina

Q: Can you tell us more about the composition stage?

A: Shenmue III is based on the 11 chapters created 17 years ago, and each chapter is set in different regions. For example, the first chapter was set in Yokosuka, second was set in Hong Kong and so on. However, we cannot finish with just one chapter in one region, so I had to restructure the story to fit within the scope of Shenmue III.

Q: What is the story stage about?

A: We had to rethink the storyline to make a more coherent flow, such as writing additional stories and making other changes.

Q: What about the planning stage? What is going on in this part?

A: Since we now know the amount of the funding from the Kickstarter campaign, we can plan the overall budget for development. So I have mapped out the game project to fit that budget scope at this stage.

Q: After the plan is written and ready, what happens in game flow stage?

A: It is about placing various cut scenes, events, battles, and quests in order. We have just finished this stage few days ago, and we will be working on the actual game development now.

Q: What other plans will be upcoming?

A: I will promise that I will be updating you about the progress of the development at least once a month. This is what we have for now.

Q: Is there anything big coming up on your schedule?

A: I am thinking about seeing the 2015 Tokyo Game Show which will be held in September. Also, I am planning to travel to China this October to both attend a game show called CHUAPP×2015, and also to do some location scouting for Shenmue III's development.

Q: Lastly, do you have any stories you could give that occurred during development so far?

A: One night, I went to a Thai restaurant with the development team after work. At that restaurant, a man approached me and asked to shake hands. He said he was a fan, and we had a brief talk. He also happened to be in the game industry and we began to hit it off. We talked some more to find out he really knew his job, and on top of that, he was an exceptionaly good person. I was so impressed, I asked him to help with the development. I couldn't help but feel Shenmue's unique gravity to bring interesting things together.

That's all for now everyone. Stay tuned to this update section for more news in future posts!

--------

Bit worried he's running off meeting random people to shake their hands. He needs locking inside until it's finished! Give us Shenmue damnit! :lol:

Bit worried he's running off meeting random people to shake their hands.

I think you missed the bit after that, where it turns out the person whose hand he shook happens to have a special set of skills, so he offered him a job. What a bit of luck for whoever that was, massive fan of the games by complete blind luck meets idol, hits it off, gets job offer to work on creating the sequel he assumed would never happen.

I suppose he mentioned it as an illustration of the power of Shenmue :)

Nice little update that. I'm not too sure why but I just inherently trust Suzuki to make a solid sequel, a lot more than I trusted Inafune to make a solid Megaman. So I'm happy to let Suzuki crack on with it and pretty much forget about Shenmue for the time being, content that it's getting made at all and happy to relax and let its creator do what he has to do. Shenmue III's going to be great. Yu Suzuki just comes across as really honest and passionate, I just hope the Kickstarter doesn't try to pander to the rabid backers (myself included!) too much, like what Comcept let happen with Mighty No. 9 ("And now you can design some bosses for us!!").