Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

It would be worth it for Shenmue 3. Absolutely. No question.

For $3.6million, I'm not convinced it will be anything worthy of that name.

And if they're getting a lot of money elsewhere, I'm not making any important difference by waiting until 2018 to give them money and if it's $60 in 2018 then it would STILL be worth it for real Shenmue 3.

This is the crux of the problem at the moment, people who apparently want a new Shenmue game but would prefer to wait until somebody else takes the risk of funding the production of it and they only have to risk the retail price for the finished product.

If a whole lot of people believe that, they are effectively shooting themselves in the foot as every fan needs to pay up now to provide as much funding as possible to improve the open-world features.

If you wait until 2017/2018 to buy the finished game, you will get a product which will be less rich than the one you could have got if you put your money up now to make a difference to the amount they have to actually pay for development of all the features of the game.

Sony and Shibuya Productions investment allows the base game with $2 Million of fan funding to exist, nothing more. This provides the story focused game that the majority of fans supposedly have been asking for all these years, but for those of us who liked the open-world aspects as well, more money than that needs to be raised to allow those features to be implemented. $5 Million gets an all-new gameplay feature Yu Suzuki plans to implement if he has the money and $10 Million gets all the bells and whistles.

TLDR - Please fund Shenmue III if you want the full-fat expansive Open-world game version of it, Yu Suzuki wasn't kidding when he said this at the reveal:

Shenmue 3 will be the story you have [waited] for. But this Kickstarter will be a real success. When you choose to make it, the full-on experience you have dreamed of. The fate of Shenmue is in your hands now.

I know this is a particularly beloved property for a lot of people and emotions are flying high, but some of these latest responses taking everything at face value seem to be bordering on the naive. Just because other people aren't throwing their wallets at their screens and sticking their heads in the sand for the next two years it doesn't mean they're part of 'the problem', it means they haven't been convinced. Articles pointing out how wishy-washy at best and dubious at worst the process has been so far aren't 'click-bait', they're pointing out numerous immediately evident flaws based on the relatively meager information so far. It feels like every single update has raised a new red flag.

By all means let's keep the mood optimistic in here and hope for the best, but can we back off from trying to guilt-trip skeptics to literally give their money away?

Sony and Shibuya Productions investment allows the base game with $2 Million of fan funding to exist, nothing more. This provides the story focused game that the majority of fans supposedly have been asking for all these years, but for those of us who liked the open-world aspects as well, more money than that needs to be raised to allow those features to be implemented. $5 Million gets an all-new gameplay feature Yu Suzuki plans to implement if he has the money and $10 Million gets all the bells and whistles.

I'm not convinced those numbers check out though, because even $8mil is not the difference between remotely credible and perfect. Not for a game of this scale in 2015. Maybe if Sony are matching the funding at 3 or even 4:1. And if they were doing that, they should SAY they're doing that.

Because, as I said before, I don't think even $10m is enough, I think Suzuki-San is kidding himself there without additional funding they're simply not being honest about.

Just to clarify, I'm not complaining, and I've already made my pledge. However, when we've been told that 10 million gets us everything, it hardly instils confidence to see stretch goals beyond that. I'd love to see every stretch goal smashed, but with stuff like that, and other stuff mentioned elsewhere, I'm a little bit anxious that we'll end up with a compromised Shenmue III.

He said 10 million gets you an open world, not everything . Stretch goals are obviously not indicative of every single additional feature or benefit from a higher budget. They're singular motivational checklists.

If you go to their office I doubt they have that stretch goal chart up as their development plan lol

He said 10 million gets you an open world, not everything . Stretch goals are obviously not indicative of every single additional feature or benefit from a higher budget. They're singular motivational checklists.

If you go to their office I doubt they have that stretch goal chart up as their development plan lol

I've clearly misunderstood what was said then. I'm still not optimistic about those goals being met though, and I do wish they'd be more transparent with the campaign.

I backed this and even I'm getting annoyed by the constant 'update' emails, seems to be one everyday. Anyway, yes $10 million is nothing. Either you make it a nice looking current game that only lasts 2-3 hours (which they won't as it's Shenmue) or you make it half the size of the old games but with PS2 or less era graphics or 'stylized' graphics.

I'm not a huge fan of Shenmue, would be curious to know what the fans would prefer out of those two options?

The problem for me and I imagine many people is that there is no easy way to play the first two games now if you missed them first time around. I don't know much about the series, but a lot of the excitement around Shenmue 3 as far as I can tell is that it will provide closure on the narrative, which is an issue if there is no real way to experience that narrative now. It seems like this is for you if you have already played the series, but it is unclear if it will be worth playing on its own. How many gamers now have played a 14+ year old franchise though?

Would they not have been better off doing an HD remake of the first two games and seeing how that sold, before launching into this kickstarter?

Would they not have been better off doing an HD remake of the first two games and seeing how that sold, before launching into this kickstarter?

So you rather we wait more than the 14 years we already have?

But yes it would have made sense to re-release the first two.

The problem for me and I imagine many people is that there is no easy way to play the first two games now if you missed them first time around. I don't know much about the series, but a lot of the excitement around Shenmue 3 as far as I can tell is that it will provide closure on the narrative, which is an issue if there is no real way to experience that narrative now. It seems like this is for you if you have already played the series, but it is unclear if it will be worth playing on its own. How many gamers now have played a 14+ year old franchise though?

Unfortunately Sega has obstinately refused to re-release those games, and it's not up to Yu Suzuki. As to why Sega haven't released them, there's been all kind of speculation, about it being too much effort, or the original game code having been lost. But what I've always thought the main reason was, is that Sega didn't want to put themselves in the line of fire of a new generation of Shenmue fans calling on them to continue the saga, and the bad publicity that could bring.

Now that Sega have unburdened themselves of that responsibility, and Shenmue 3 is out of their hands, and in ours, I think there is a higher likelihood of them finally re-releasing the games. However, we aren't simply counting on it, and after this kickstarter has ended, TeamYu will refocus it's efforts on persuading Sega to re-release the original games.

meanwhile at Sega HQ..

"alright gaff, Shenmue, an IP we own is actually trending right now and the original games are fetching silly amounts of money on ebay, maybe we could re-release those on the current gen of consoles for some easy money and loads of goodwill from long time fans"

"you seem to have forgotten at modern Sega we don't deal with legacy IP and we certainly don't deal with anything involving street rage fighters, shinoboos and especially virtua martial artists! oh and put aliens in that list too as that didn't sell either and sign us up for some further football management horseshit!"

"yes boss"

tobey-cry.jpg

I'm not convinced those numbers check out though, because even $8mil is not the difference between remotely credible and perfect. Not for a game of this scale in 2015. Maybe if Sony are matching the funding at 3 or even 4:1. And if they were doing that, they should SAY they're doing that.

Because, as I said before, I don't think even $10m is enough, I think Suzuki-San is kidding himself there without additional funding they're simply not being honest about.

Depends on what scale you think they are aiming for I suppose, Shenmue is nowhere near the massive scale of modern open-world titles. The interesting thing about it was the amazing level of detail for the time, way ahead of anything available, compare it to the much later GTA III, or even the game series from the same publisher which some people like to insist is a better substitute for it (which BTW they are and always have been wrong about, but that is a complaint for another thread).

As pointed out, The Longest Journey went open-world for a fraction of the budget recently so I think judging it on the cost of pioneering a genre over 2 hardware generations in the 1990s might be an incorrect way to look at how much manpower is required to realise something of a similar scale today, which is tiny by modern AAA open-world standards.

And to your 2nd point, he has additional funding, we just have no idea how much it is, all we know is that it and the $2 Million funding goal are enough to make the basic game focussed on the story. The extra money raised is going towards making more content for that world (extra quests, gameplay systems, etc)

Unfortunately Sega has obstinately refused to re-release those games, and it's not up to Yu Suzuki. As to why Sega haven't released them, there's been all kind of speculation, about it being too much effort, or the original game code having been lost. But what I've always thought the main reason was, is that Sega didn't want to put themselves in the line of fire of a new generation of Shenmue fans calling on them to continue the saga, and the bad publicity that could bring.

There was the infamous screenshot from a French source which showed Project Berkley II on Microsoft's PartnerNet, he also showed several other games which have all been released since the leak, except that one. It's probably in the vault, after they decided to can it.

zv0qMCA.jpg