Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

I'm definitely putting in to this once i get paid.

So if Shenmue 3 is making its way to PS4 they must surely have plans to do something with the first 2 games for PS4 right?

They only got permission from Sega to make Shenmue III.

From GAF

It was just announced by Gio Corsi during their Live from E3 Stream on twitch. It was something to gauge interest and since it hit it's goal they are officially partnering up to help fund and develop with YS Net.

Sony that is.

As we now live in the modern age, I hope that there is some sort of rapid manufacturing tie-in that means when you buy a capsule toy with Lucky Hit winnings you can pay a £4 IAP and a copy of that toy gets knocked out by a laser printer in China and sent to you in the post.

Or maybe play Lucky Hit for real cash.

What actually surprised and impressed me is that if they're involved they're letting them release it on PC as well, pretty cool. Though I guess that shouldn't be a surprise due to Street Fighter V as well.

That's the second franchise in two years Sony has 'saved' for me - Yakuza 5 and now this, awesome :) (though I'll fully admit, I'm more excited for Yakuza 5)

Sony ARE funding this. Kickstarter was to gauge interest. Confirmed by Gio Corsi on a live stream. The confirmation starts around 57 mins in.

Talks started last year at GDC.

It's a great model, it could open the door for publishers and developers to take a lot more risks on niche interest games that we might not otherwise see.

To me it was evident that this $2 million was just to see how we reacted and that Sony were going to fund it somehow. I hope people aren't put off by this method anyway, I think it was a great way 'to put the money where your mouth is' scenario.

But wow, Shenmue 3....I still remember the disappointment at the abrupt ending to Shenmue 2, so I hope this lives up continue that moment.

I agree, I think it was the best method. So I hope people don't start resting on their laurels now they know Sony are in to some extent at least. Hopefully this will still be the most successful kickstarter ever seen.

I would have thought that, if anything, the number of pledges would increase now that Sony's on board - the risk of the game not getting made is much less, and it's much cheaper to get a digital copy through Kickstarter than it will be to buy it off PSN.

Update on Kickstarter. The video seems to be private at the moment:

That was an AMAZING first day! And we have only just started! There are still so may stops to make, so let's keep this ship steaming on.

Throughout the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign, we will have a whole carnival of everything that is Shenmue to celebrate this occasion. Exclusive interviews, game and development info, polls, and lots more! (Can’t spoil all the surprises, can we?)

To kick off our Super Shenmue Update Spectacular, we have a special guest who has had Shenmue close to his heart since the very beginning.

It's bloody criminal that the guy who revolutionized so much of what modern 3d gaming is about has to be paraded out holding a begging bowl.

De La Soul, one of the greatest hip hop groups of all time had to use Kickstarter to fund their new album, which to me is just as sad.

This is just the greatest of all of the reactions...

Sheer, utter, all-consuming, uncontrollable joy. :D I've been using this to explain to my girlfriend what this announcement means to people. To me.

For a simple game to do this to a grown man in a professional setting. Just unbelievable really.

De La Soul, one of the greatest hip hop groups of all time had to use Kickstarter to fund their new album, which to me is just as sad.

Why? Kickstarter is about establishing a market for a product. What's sad about them using a tool to establish if there is a market for their product?