Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

I think this is a good idea - they probably should have done this before Shenmue III but it definitely opens up the potential to expand the audience for the game, give something new for old fans, and gives another potential avenue to maybe finally finish the story?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread has helped me acclimatise to the game. I came to it yesterday straight after finishing 1 and 2 & I was bouncing off it after the first 5 or 6 hours. 

the main reason was the combat. It just seemed a huge step back from the previous game. From reading the thread it doesn’t seem as basic as it first appeared to though so I’m approaching it with a new mindset. 

I’ve accepted the new Ryo model, but I don’t think I’ll ever accept the new Shenhua model. The old one was much better IMO. 

• 1 month later...

Finished all 3 games over the past couple of months. I'd liek to see one more game to conclude the saga but this game left me with no desire for a strung out series. it's a 6/10 effort which trades heavily on nostalgia.

Some thoughts:

Spoiler
  1. Coming straight to this from 1 & 2 highlights how poor the combat is, sadly (presumably Yu no longer had rights to use the old VF-based system. A real shame as Shenmue 2 deals with combat brilliantly
  2. The bad points of the older games remain very much present in the third (wit hnew ones added). Kickstarter or not the are some basic things that could've been done better.
  3. The finale was surprisingly underwhelming. No heft or exitement to it at all.
  4. Ren. jesus christ - Ren. Turns up unexpectedly and immediately gets dismissed by the game to become a wandering character you barely speak to. Then comes back at the end along with broom-maiden who spoke to you once and is suddenly willing to assault a castle with you!?
  5. Finally, and unforgivably, Shenhua was an absolute joke of a character in this. So much was hinted about her nad yet she's essentially a housekeeper/damsel in distress (apart from one unseen scene where there's a hint there could be something about her). I didn't like her new character model anyway but i at least hoped she would be a character of interest but she was just. . . . . sh*t. A title character, reduced to this.

I can see my self replaying 1 and 2 at some future point, but not 3.

Anway, sad and depressing rant over.

Despite being one of the loudest supports of this series (at least it feels like it lol) I still have not played 3.

I've had so much personally to keep me busy between work/family/life that it's just been on the backburner. Also I think part of it is built up expectation as well.

Currently redecorating so don't even have a space to play it right now, but hoping when it's finished to play through the series from the beginning.

I've managed miraculously to keep spoiler free, so sell looking forward to it even if reception wasn't amazing.

I think playing through the whole series back-to-back definitely helps: played in that way, Shenmue III comes across as a fairly natural continuation of the first two games, just with better graphics and controls. You'll think of it as a new Shenmue game, with all the quirks and faults that implies, rather than a brand new game with all the expectations that would come with that.

That feeling should keep you going through the first half of the game at least - I think for the whole of the first section and the initial impressions that the second section made, I was actually very impressed with the game. Sadly it falls apart quite badly after that, and you can see exactly where they ran out of time and money and had to start cobbling thing together near the end, but overall I genuinely liked it. And I actually preferred the combat in this, at least I got to use a few different moves rather than just spamming the same two kicks like I did in Shenmue II and hoping for the best.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I backed the kickstarter day 1 and I still haven't started this. Maybe a little scared that it won't live up to my expectations (how could it?).

I'm midway through a full Yakuza playthrough anyway so it will have to wait a bit longer.

11 hours ago, ox1973 said:

I don't know what's wrong with me. I backed the kickstarter day 1 and I still haven't started this. Maybe a little scared that it won't live up to my expectations (how could it?).

I'm midway through a full Yakuza playthrough anyway so it will have to wait a bit longer.

Haha I'm exactly the same, midway through Yakuza 5.

But with that there are no expectations you know?  Also, they are totally different vibes as Shenmue is about taking in the space and atmosphere and attention to detail, whilst Yakuza is about enjoying the wild wild ride.

• 1 month later...

He def has for me, I'll never play another sequel or bother with anything related to the earlier games again I've been so disappointed in it. Soured me so much on the entire series that I even ended up selling years of various memorabilia I'd been collecting.

Cedric Biscay (Shibuya Productions, producer on 3) confirmed in an interview they had created a vertical slice of Shenmue 4 that is (was) being pitched to publishers a few months ago. When asked for an update recently he said he couldn't comment . YsNet are still active and have employees on site, so there is something going on. The anime is due early 2022 so likely to be announced around a similar timeframe. 

I hope they can get another chapter out and finish this once and for all, but I think it was a huge mistake not finishing it while they had the chance this time. After all it's a strange divisive game - it was waaaaay ahead of it's time back when 1 & 2 were released However, it hasn't really moved on, whereas everything else has so it only really appealed to existing fans, and I can't imagine it's picked up too many new ones. 

I was the biggest Shenmue fan over 1&2 and I was literally counting down the days for 3 to be released. But I think it's telling that even I stopped playing it half way through and that was ages ago. I still really want to finish it - and I definitely will, but I seriously thought I would be powering straight through it with no sleep. 

Perhaps it's my taste that has changed over the years and newer games have come along and changed the way I play, or what I expect. Hmmmmm I'm not sure - I think I also just started to get a bit disheartened that the story still wasn't going to go anywhere in this installment. I haven't finished it of course and I've stayed away from spoilers, but from what I hear generally I'm really not going to see much more story progression. :(

Personally i think it's a miracle they got anywhere close to the first two games with the budget they had. YS stated it was a difficult game to plan as the kickstarter was so successful, then deep silver came on board and also

11 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I guess this is never coming out on Xbox then?

apparently the Sony stage at E3 was in exchange for console exclusivity, which was a pretty bum deal when you think about it now but back in 2015 when the PS4 was breaking records and the xbox one was floundering? probably not so much. The ever changing budget meant that things were chopped and changed around, this is evident in the cut introductions which is why the opening dialog has a lot of cuts to black and odd dialog. The third act in Baisha was dropped (probably moved to part IV) which is what this artwork was from

maxresdefault.jpg

Part of the original plot was that Ryo would have to infiltrate one of these circular building (Tulou)

If you're interested here's the interview with Cedric that sheds light on development on 3 and the pitching of part 4 :

Personally i will never give up on the series and enjoyed my 110 hours with part 3 as much as i did with the originals back in the day. No other series does a day in the life any better IMO and i get a real kick out of all the martial arts stuff. 

I still have not played Shenmue 3.

Considering how vehemently I campaigned for it, considering how much I backed it financially, considering how much I still absolutely adore the series, I just haven't started it.

I think I'll play it later this year. I thought that playing it right away would have set my expectations too high and was all just s bit too much pressure for what should be an enjoyable pass time, and I didn't want that. Then I had a chilg and it was just too much to squeeze in much of any gaming at all!

I think, now, my expectations are set accurately, and I hope I enjoy it for what it is. I'm going to play through the first 2 before jumping in.

But fuck, I do love this series - it does do many things I appreciate so well.

I loved Shenmue back in the day but I find those first two games hard to go back to. What I loved most was the feeling of virtual tourism, visiting a convincing rendition of a modern Japanese village. Nowadays I'm crazy about Yakuza, partly because it gives me the exact same feeling of virtual tourism - visiting recognizable modern day Japanese cities, many of which I actually been to for real. 

However, it's not a given that Shenmue fans will therefore automatically love Yakuza. Most probably will, because there are definitely similarities at the core, but as was said earlier in the thread Shenmue also feels like living everyday life. Yakuza feels like stumbling into a completely crazy over the top action movie, nothing everyday about it in that regard.

I backed Shenmue 3 but still haven't started it because I don't think it will give me the same feeling that playing the first one in 1999 (I think?) did - I mean, how could it? But I want to someday, just to satisfy curiosity.