Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Revival

So now that the dust has slightly settled, is it worth playing through Shenmue III yet?, or should I wait until they've released the CE version with all the DLC and bugfixes instead?

It's sitting unopened in the jiffy bag it was sent in (despite me never even confirming my details to the UK fulfillment company :P, so thank fuck I hadn't move in the mean time), though it's not as if I really have the time available to get engrossed in it at the moment.

The marmite response is dulling my enthusiasm some what however.

I assume the rest of the backer physical rewards have not been sent yet? It was only money I suppose and Yu Suzuki deserved a chance to deliver.

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

The originals are products of their time

That’s not strictly true - they were bloody weird even at the time; rubbish dialogue, characterisations and plot progress to boot.

The originals are Shenmue. 

6 hours ago, mushashi said:

So now that the dust has slightly settled, is it worth playing through Shenmue III yet?, or should I wait until they've released the CE version with all the DLC and bugfixes instead?

It's sitting unopened in the jiffy bag it was sent in (despite me never even confirming my details to the UK fulfillment company :P, so thank fuck I hadn't move in the mean time), though it's not as if I really have the time available to get engrossed in it at the moment.

I assume the rest of the backer physical rewards have not been sent yet? It was only money I suppose and Yu Suzuki deserved a chance to deliver.

You should play it, you might love it.  Some people really like it.  I apologize for using phrases like "it's shit" when I mean "I think it's shit".  That's my fault.  This is a really divisive game but the only way to find out which side you're on is to play it. 

There's a tendency on the forum to see an opinion, followed by multiple posts explaining why the poster is wrong. Followed by the poster replying why they are not wrong. The important point here is that people are giving their opinions and everyone is free to disagree or agree - but no-one is wrong.   I found Shenmue 3 very disappointing, other people liked it.  Neither of us are wrong, because to suggest that is to say that we don't know our own minds.

So play the game, see if you like it and share your thoughts.  That's what having the "discussion" forum should be about.

THQN financial report this morning 

Net sales of the Business Area: Games – Deep Silver rose 150% to SEK 466.6 million. 
New releases performed in line with management expectations in the quarter. The performance of back catalog sales was strong during the quarter, both digitally and physically and exceeded management expectations in the quarter.
Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let’s Sing 2020.

'Met expectations' :)

THQN CEO Lars Wingefors: "Niche product and that's the challenge, but financially its done fine."

• 1 month later...

So I've finally got around to trying this out. Played about 1 hour of it so far and initial impressions are pretty positive. Graphics and presentation is more than passable, even if the animation and model choices for Ryo Hazuki are going to be a bit of an acquired taste :D

It certainly seems to have some of that feel of Shenmue, even if they've had to 'modernise' some aspects of it, like exploring the environment in first person view with the glowing red spots is kind of too gamey versus the more realistic immersive way you did it in the previous games and it doesn't seem to let you just admire the modelling on stuff you pick up (though I didn't attempt to try doing that yet TBF). I'm also fairly certain the subtitles are more like dubtitles as I'm playing it in Japanese but what they say rarely matches up with what the text states.

Hopefully I shall be able to carry on making progress on it and see how it ends up.

On 15/02/2020 at 18:30, mushashi said:

Shenmue was always a marmite game series though. 

Personally think I made it 2/3rds through the game and then just stopped playing as I didn't find it enjoyable. Just don't enjoy grinding in games to earn virtual currency to do things. Puzzles I don't mind though. For me it felt more or a grind TBH like other typical RPG games I guess. Think this is also the reason I never finished the second one either.

Really enjoyed the first Shenmue though but that felt less about the grind and more about exploring etc. 

It depends what you want from a game really ....  

9 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Shenmue was always a marmite game series though. 

Personally think I made it 2/3rds through the game and then just stopped playing as I didn't find it enjoyable. Just don't enjoy grinding in games to earn virtual currency to do things. Puzzles I don't mind though. For me it felt more or a grind TBH like other typical RPG games I guess. Think this is also the reason I never finished the second one either.

Really enjoyed the first Shenmue though but that felt less about the grind and more about exploring etc. 

It depends what you want from a game really ....  

So you can't abuse the gambling system and soft-reset like in Shenmue II anymore? Solved that design choice problem, no more tedious grinding allowing you to just enjoy the adventure, even if some purists see it as unsportsman-like behaviour ;)

You should go back and finish Shenmue II and use the soft-reset trick and play roll it on top repeatedly, removes nearly all the grind except for the fighter quests you do later on in the game which had some money entry requirement IIRC, it's up there with Resident Evil 4 as one of the greatest action adventure games of all time, and without having to shoot people!

Think I'd actually like a remake of Shenmue but not the story and realised in VR in more detail. So I can really feel like I'm in a different place. Also have the story confined to that game world with different things happening within it. So it is constantly evolving.. think I'm done with moving things around on a flat 2D screen with a pad these days in terms of new experiences. Also really don't want to go back over old fairly limited experiences anymore. Part of the reason I never replayed Shenmue 1 and 2 because they were products of their time on limited tech of their time.

For me Shenmue 3 is too much of a throwback to days gone. The story still isn't even complete. Part of the reason I couldn't be bothered "finishing" it in the end 

It's a game for fans. Unfortunately this one as I discovered after playing for too long IMHO moved on. :(

5 hours ago, mushashi said:

So you can't abuse the gambling system and soft-reset like in Shenmue II anymore?

You don’t need to. The game gives you a legitimate in-game method to guarantee big wins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played it for a couple of hours and gave up. It's so clunky to play that I just can't be bothered sitting down to get through, I could understand the controls back then and they certainly didn't put me off recent replays on Steam but this was such a let down. The awful conversations and flow... eesh. No thanks. I've waited 20 years for this turnip to grow and I won't be sinking anymore money in future Kickstarter.s Even the figures I paid for will be going straight on eBay if they ever arrive. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another backer update today too discussing rewards. I swear they’re spending more on shipping each item out individually rather than altogether (not like they didn’t have like 4 years to get rewards made up). Still waiting for a bunch of rewards to be made and dispatched, one at a time, internationally.

13 part animation announced, covers the first game and part of Shenmue II, Sega and Yu Suzuki on board. :)

The season tackles the first game and part of the second game. Includes a lot of story ideas they never got to put into the game either due to budget, time, or mature rating reasons. It'll be an adult animated retelling of Shenmue 1 & 2 with lost story beats.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm amazed the creative direction they've decided on is "absolutely don't ever progress the plot, and if possible, add even more filler"

This doesn't effect Shenmue 4. The idea is to get new people into the series without having to play two 20 year old Dreamcast games. It also offers up new material for fans. 

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Thing is once you take out all the gameplay and the joy of ‘being’ in that world, Shenmue‘ a fairly bare story really isn’t that much to hang 13 whole episodes on.

"Includes a lot of story ideas they never got to put into the game either due to budget, time, or mature rating reasons" 

If they go up to the eqivelent of the end of disc 3 of Shenmue 2 there's lots of plot there. You've got the Mad Angels / Docks / Guizhang stuff, then the trip to Hong Kong, the Heavens, the training with Xiuying, the trip to Kowloon, the Ren team up, the Yellowheads, then there's the missing Boat and Train chapters that were also cut from the games that can be fleshed out too, not to mention the whole Iwao/Sunming Zhao stuff that leads to the Lan Di encounter in the Dojo that starts the first game. 

I don't watch Anime as a general rule outside of some of the batman ones but I'm excited to see this.

Edit: can't believe I forgot the Four Wude which is the first few hours of the second game....and fighting Ren's crew before teaming up... Oh yeah and the Chawan sign/ Yuanda Zhu plotline haha I'm starting to think 13 episodes won't be enough :lol: