rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | Out Now!

Well hopefully it will come to Xbox so more people can play it. Straight to gamepass maybe?

As for rewards the most recent kickstarter updates have the time frames in them, but it's easier to kick off on reddit than actually read correspondence.

user ShredingSkin at the dojo received this amazing Ryo bust that was featured in the Project Berkley video all the way back in 1998!

84710342_10157743919490803_8247538390413

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Down by Law said:

After at least 100 hours got the platinum trophy. 

84642565_10157741821590803_2717157514457

Yeah I definetely got my monies' worth.

84332776_10157741821325803_2018966866315

"I know rite?"

85026392_10157741851250803_7641933716616

84938323_10157741817470803_6843724597389

84974453_10157741818010803_8333766954166

84805857_10157741818505803_4870035993568

84818724_10157741819640803_2063286449159

85094891_10157741820800803_5935820978335

Until the next time...

Great feat fella, well done! 

I'm currently aiming for all side quests and all fishing spots done. Doubt I'll ever be able to get the all herbs or 1000 fish trophs though! 

• Upvote 1

Superb! @Down by Law Very jealous of your achievements here. :-)

I'm still bimbling around Niaowu collecting herbs and whatnot. Easy to get lost and I love this almost Animal Crossing type vibe with SIII. Just bob it on and chill. I love it.

I hope it does see an Xbox One release at some point. Silly to not do it really.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Well hopefully it will come to Xbox so more people can play it. Straight to gamepass maybe?

As for rewards the most recent kickstarter updates have the time frames in them, but it's easier to kick off on reddit than actually read correspondence.

user ShredingSkin at the dojo received this amazing Ryo bust that was featured in the Project Berkley video all the way back in 1998!

84710342_10157743919490803_8247538390413

That bellend he has at the bottom is a bit unfortunate though. 

Sold quite poorly then: https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/633272-poor-shenmue-3-sales-deep-silver-revenue-8-million

About 50,000 copies on PS4 apparently. 

It's a real shame and I also attribute the lacklustre sales to the game itself. Somehow Suzuki has managed to turn Shenmue into an irrelevant game series with mechanics no one cares about. Game dev ressource allocation is also super disappointing (why spending time on making irrelevant DLC?!). I hope there will be a fourth installment finishing the "story" so we all can have some closure. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

69,320 backers on the KS page.

If any good can come out of those figures hopefully that'll mean they port it to the other consoles.

I wonder how many of those backers got refunds, they were quite a lot complaining when the game was released. I'm happy it was made, not surprised it didn't sell that well and because of that I expect this will be the last game in the series. 

That report is based on players, not sales, from Gamestat. It's being disputed as we know there are more than that based on backers alone, the 5000 sales from the LRG edition, the 2500 from the Pix N Love edition, and the known 21K sales from Japan. The idea that it only sold 20K other units in the entire rest of the world, and not counting the kickstarter backers which are 4:1 in favour of the PS4 version, is ridiculous.

Deep Silver's Terminator game which came out the same week has 34K players on gamestat so did even worse than supposedly Shenmue did, but of course, that's the reason they have reduced forecasts...

http://gamstat.com/games/Terminator_Resistance/

It's poor form of the Embracer group to ok this report without any hard sales data to back it up - they don't even have numbers for the PC version from Epic.

We will know for certain on the 19th when THQN give their quarterly presentation

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, ryodi said:

because of that I expect this will be the last game in the series. 

In a world where 3 Star Wars Trilogies exist, it is finally possible to sit and watch all 9 movies and enjoy the whole story. Sure, the prequels are still rubbish but in the context of a complete product they are much more tolerable.

Shenmue 3 is weak, the story barely progresses, and if it didn't have the Shenmue name no-one would have looked at this game twice.  What Suzuki did was to take his legacy of two great games that had an unfinished story, and add on a weak third game which failed to add anything to the unfinished story. Shenmue 3 serves no purpose at all, and the only way he could fix it is to make a Shenmue 4 that brings it all together in a satisfying way. Another installment would seem unlikely now as the sales figures show it doesn't have the customer base they may have hoped for. But they need to make a Shenmue 4 and finish the story.  If they don't, then all they have achieved is to make a terrible sequel to two of the best games of the previous generations. We already had happy memories of Shenmue despite its unfinished story. Shenmue 3 muddies that memory by being a bad game. In the context of a complete saga, Shenmue 3 would be the weakest of a good series. But if they don't make any more it is simply a piece of shit that tramples on your nice memories of the Dreamcast era and devalues the Shenmue name.  I'm serious when I say the Shenmue 3 genuinely made me angry. I could not believe what they had done to the series I loved. They need to fix this with a Shenmue 4 and now, I bet they can't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Complete hyperbole and totally subjective. I really enjoyed Shenmue 3 and I’m very glad it got made. I don’t consider it a “bad game” and definitely not “a piece of shit”.

• Upvote 4

What Shenmue 3 managed to achieve is to split its fan base. And given the small size of that fan base that's a real problem. 

In hindsight I'm even more disappointed in Suzuki and the game. I'm really not sure what was going on during the development process. I just cannot wrap my mind around it. SOMEONE must have asked whether it makes sense to develop the food system vs. putting efforts into advancing the story. It's ludicrous to argue that in 1997 Suzuki had xxx chapters in mind to tell the story so requires another two installments to finish it when 3 doesn't advance it at all. 

I suspect there won't ever be a Shenmue 4, even though developing it would be a bit cheaper. 

As to figures being disputed: as much as I like Shenmuedojo, they are known for disputing all figures unless they're positive. 

• Upvote 1

Gamestat isn't reliable. It tracks players and not sales.If someone has played it, but doesn't have a trophy unlocked yet, it doesn't count. That report is from Jan 19th by the way and didn't gain any traction until it was posted on Resetera. I know every single post in this thread from you since the game came out is negative, that's a reliable stat if i ever saw one. You seem to forget this was a kickstarter project and all those things you keep complaining about were stretch goals. They had to be included. 

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

In a world where 3 Star Wars Trilogies exist, it is finally possible to sit and watch all 9 movies and enjoy the whole story. Sure, the prequels are still rubbish but in the context of a complete product they are much more tolerable.

Shenmue 3 is weak, the story barely progresses, and if it didn't have the Shenmue name no-one would have looked at this game twice.  What Suzuki did was to take his legacy of two great games that had an unfinished story, and add on a weak third game which failed to add anything to the unfinished story. Shenmue 3 serves no purpose at all, and the only way he could fix it is to make a Shenmue 4 that brings it all together in a satisfying way. Another installment would seem unlikely now as the sales figures show it doesn't have the customer base they may have hoped for. But they need to make a Shenmue 4 and finish the story.  If they don't, then all they have achieved is to make a terrible sequel to two of the best games of the previous generations. We already had happy memories of Shenmue despite its unfinished story. Shenmue 3 muddies that memory by being a bad game. In the context of a complete saga, Shenmue 3 would be the weakest of a good series. But if they don't make any more it is simply a piece of shit that tramples on your nice memories of the Dreamcast era and devalues the Shenmue name.  I'm serious when I say the Shenmue 3 genuinely made me angry. I could not believe what they had done to the series I loved. They need to fix this with a Shenmue 4 and now, I bet they can't.

You barely got 10% through before getting stuck and having a hissy fit. Slating this as a bad game while championing Deadly Premonition which is a fucking terrible 'GAME' in almost all areas of execution but had a good plot makes you look like an idiot. If you want great stories and don't care how shit the gameplay is, watch a fucking DVD

• Upvote 1

Indeed. Someone who couldn't be arsed to have a nose around the Bailu temple museum for five minutes and yet claims that the previous games, with their cha wen signs and book airing and forklift driving and other such similar menial tasks, are two of the best games of their generation. It's just such a... contradiction? You didn't even reach Niaowu @dumpster!

Shenmue 3, on my second play through, is becoming one of my favourite PS4 games. It's cosy in the way Animal Crossing is, a tiny part of a world and its inhabitants that you get to know really well. The story here is Ryo's quiet development as a martial artist, and the way he's able to open up to Shenhua in a way he couldn't to his friends back in Japan. It's a janky game with a lot of heart and it's a more than worthy continuation of the saga. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Indeed. Someone who couldn't be arsed to have a nose around the Bailu temple museum for five minutes and yet claims that the previous games, with their cha wen signs and book airing and forklift driving and other such similar menial tasks, are two of the best games of their generation. It's just such a... contradiction? You didn't even reach Niaowu @dumpster!

I finished the game. So feel free to launch some semi-personal attacks towards someone who finished the game.

Also, you are correct to equate Shenmue 3 with the 98% story-less Animal Crossing. I'm just not sure that's what many players had expected after 20 years. You're mentioning Shenhua there. It's funny that she got featured back in 1997 in early previews yet still continues to be pretty much irrelevant, even in Shenmue 3. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Semi-personal? 

Not too sure what your point about Shenhua is. I do find it interesting though that you fairweather fans have been able to bitch and moan about a glacial pace and lack of story and having to look into drawers and stuff (all things pretty much part and parcel of the Shenmue experience since the beginning), without ever elaborating on what exactly needed to be done to make Shenmue 3 a worthy sequel in your eyes. 

So I ask again: What would a perfect Shenmue 3 have looked like to you? And in what ways would it have been different to the one we got? 

36 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Gamestat isn't reliable. It tracks players and not sales. That report is from Jan 19th by the way and didn't gain any traction until it was posted on Resetera. I know every single post in this thread from you since the game came out is negative, that's a reliable stat if i ever saw one. You seem to forget this was a kickstarter project and all those things you keep complaining about were stretch goals. They had to be included. 

You barely got 10% through before getting stuck and having a hissy fit. Slating this as a bad game while championing Deadly Premonition which is a fucking terrible 'GAME' in almost all areas of execution but had a good plot makes you look like an idiot. If you want great stories and don't care how shit the gameplay is, watch a fucking DVD

Deadly Premonition is a brilliant game. Sure the shooty sections are weak but the character and story building is outstanding. The difference in Shenmue 3 is that nothing really happens. 

At no point during Shenmue 1 and 2 did I feel that the games were poor. I even played them again to completion when the remasters came out. The originals are products of their time. The problem is, Shenmue 3 is a product of that time too, and it's 2019.

If a developer that loved Shenmue tried to make their own similar game in 2019, people would see this as a crappy knock off. The fact that it is an official sequel from Yu Suzuki raised expectations. The way the story goes nowhere is the biggest issue for me.  

Ironically it was this forum that prompted me to give up.  It was here that I read that the second half of the game feels artificially elongated, the opening village is the best bit, the story goes nowhere, the tasks get meaningless and longer.  You don't have to play the game past the 20% or so that I saw to realise this game is a duffer.  I accept that some people really liked it and have no issue with that, but you only have to read this thread to see how the tide of opinion massively changed over a few weeks.  From "great, new Shenmue" to "hmm, the food mechanism..." And so on....  

14 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Semi-personal? 

Not too sure what your point about Shenhua is. I do find it interesting though that you fairweather fans have been able to bitch and moan about a glacial pace and lack of story and having to look into drawers and stuff (all things pretty much part and parcel of the Shenmue experience since the beginning), without ever elaborating on what exactly needed to be done to make Shenmue 3 a worthy sequel in your eyes. 

So I ask again: What would a perfect Shenmue 3 have looked like to you? And in what ways would it have been different to the one we got? 

Save game any time, including when you are indoors.

In a room with drawers to open, 30 is too many, and most have objects in that don't do anything.

Characters that remember you met them already.

Dialogue you can skip when you trigger a conversation by mistake.

Cut scenes that hang together , rather than fading out and in between sentences.  Proper dialogue.

Story progression. Events that happen that make you eager to know what comes next.

Better motion capture, animation and speech. This is a game that came out for £59 in the shops and it was 2019.

Better controls.

Better minigames.

Get rid of the food mechanism for gods sake. Make me walk slowly for ages to get food so i can run back and carry on playing the game from the exact spot i was at 20 minutes ago? Come on.

17 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Semi-personal? 

Fairweather fans? Creative :D

What would a good S3 look like? a) it needs story progression, b) put development resources into dialogue and character development as opposed to finding herbs and food and c) just make it A BIT more coherent (the tower in Bailu village? My god).

b) alone would have greatly improved the game. Dialogue is horrible and if I remember correctly even worse than in 1 and 2.

45 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Deadly Premonition is a brilliant game. Sure the shooty sections are weak but the character and story building is outstanding. The difference in Shenmue 3 is that nothing really happens. 

...and the driving...and the map oh my god....the worst map ever implemented in a video game...and the controls..the graphics... and I liked the game. I bought it on DAY ONE MUTHAFUCKA! :lol:

85121019_10157761337655803_7133312741552

I can look past all that shit because in spite of it there's a good story and there's enough charm to make it all worthwhile. The same way that Shenmue III is a terrific game with an average story (that does actually reveal a fair amount, especially in it's closing scenes if you've been paying attention) with a metric ton of charm and character and more importantly, atmosphere and music. You and your obvious troll bait of 'SHIT AND SHOULDN'T EXIST' is tiring and stupid and makes you look like a fucking tit.

At no point during Shenmue 1 and 2 did I feel that the games were poor. I even played them again to completion when the remasters came out. The originals are products of their time. The problem is, Shenmue 3 is a product of that time too, and it's 2019.

Yeah, but you moaned in that thread about having to explore rooms in Shenmue II. It was the 5 Star corp in Shenmue II. You wrote a huge wall of text about it.

If a developer that loved Shenmue tried to make their own similar game in 2019, people would see this as a crappy knock off. The fact that it is an official sequel from Yu Suzuki raised expectations. The way the story goes nowhere is the biggest issue for me.  

Yu Suzuki is 1 man, not the entirety of AM2. YsNet is a small developer with 45 staff and this was their first game. On a kickstarter budget! 

Ironically it was this forum that prompted me to give up.  It was here that I read that the second half of the game feels artificially elongated, the opening village is the best bit, the story goes nowhere, the tasks get meaningless and longer.  You don't have to play the game past the 20% or so that I saw to realise this game is a duffer.  I accept that some people really liked it and have no issue with that, but you only have to read this thread to see how the tide of opinion massively changed over a few weeks.  From "great, new Shenmue" to "hmm, the food mechanism..." And so on....  

Yeah that's rubbish. The majority of people here praised the game and it came in at number 97 in our top 100 games of the decade.

40 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Save game any time, including when you are indoors

You can, except for about 3 instances when you have to search for items in a 40 hour game.

In a room with drawers to open, 30 is too many, and most have objects in that don't do anything.

There are 3 instances in the game where you HAVE to search through draws. Everything else is there at your leisure. Exactly the same as the originals.

Characters that remember you met them already.

Agreed this is a problem especially early on

Dialogue you can skip when you trigger a conversation by mistake.

Already patched 

Cut scenes that hang together , rather than fading out and in between sentences.  Proper dialogue.

Occurs at the start of the game only

Story progression. Events that happen that make you eager to know what comes next.

You didn't get far enough to judge this. Nowhere near.

Better controls.

What's wrong with the controls?

Better minigames.

Did you even get to the first arcade?

Get rid of the food mechanism for gods sake. Make me walk slowly for ages to get food so i can run back and carry on playing the game from the exact spot i was at 20 minutes ago? Come on.

Already patched to reduce slower .. plus train for gods sake it's what the endurance stat is for. I could run round the entire village from top to bottom without needing food by Level 25. Dude's been stuck in a cave for 18 years it's gonna take a while for those legs to start working again

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Yu Suzuki is 1 man, not the entirety of AM2. YsNet is a small developer with 45 staff and this was their first game. On a kickstarter budget! 

Yes, fair enough. However, why then did he decide to put his limited resources into developing a food system that is a) irrelevant and b) that didn't exist in S1 and S2? This will go down in gaming history as one of the dumbest design and development choices ever.

because he wanted to implement it in the original games . I can't find the quote but he said it was strange they developed all these assets for the shops and stores like the crisps and candy bars in Shenmue 1 & 2 , along with the market stalls, restaurants and all the other eateries, yet they served no game play purpose.  

Okay, that's what I thought. It's something that does more for him personally (pet project-style) than for the game itself and its players. 

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Fairweather fans? Creative :D

What would a good S3 look like? a) it needs story progression, b) put development resources into dialogue and character development as opposed to finding herbs and food and c) just make it A BIT more coherent (the tower in Bailu village? My god).

b) alone would have greatly improved the game. Dialogue is horrible and if I remember correctly even worse than in 1 and 2.

OK, but

A) There is story progression. The amount of 'stuff' that goes down is just on par with, if not actually more than, Shenmue 1.

B) There's a lot of neat missable dialogue between Ryo and Shenhua. You get to know Ryo as a personality a lot better than you ever do in the first two games. The Ryo - Ren relationship is shallow, I agree, but also comical and fitting. Finding herbs and food is a complete non-issue. Herb collecting is satisfying as. 

C) Bailu village tower was a great moment! Akin to finding the basement beneath the Hazuki dojo for me. Hidden secrets and all that. 

Dialogue is precisely as Shenmue as it needs to be. All you need to do is remember the owner of the sweet shop's VA in Shenmue 1 ('my little suede-headed Ryooouu', etc.) to realise that Shenmue 3's dialogue is of a general higher standard. Although I agree that's not saying much. 

Anyone saying they were big fans of Shenmue 1 and 2 saying they’re not fans of Shenmue 3 because of Shenmue 3’s controls/pace/characters/animation/story/dialogue/minigames etc clearly was never a big fan of Shenmue 1 and 2.

• Upvote 5

I think I'm starting to see why Shenmue 3 is so divisive though. Aside from everyone defending the game being men of impeccable taste and cultured virtue, the main issue seems to be one of expectations. Dumpster lists the fact that it feels like a game from the DC era as a negative, whereas for me this is one of the main strengths of the game. 

It's a bit like Sonic Mania. Sonic Mania was created as a 'What if...?' game. What if the 2D Sonic series had continued on the Sega Saturn? Sonic Mania succeeds because it is very much a game made in 1997, with all the level design quirks and idiosyncrasies of a 2D platformer of that era included in the package. If you were expecting a Sonic game for the 21st century, you'd be coming away disappointed. For me, Shenmue 3 falls into this same mould. What if Shenmue had continued on the DC? Or Shenmue 3 had been a PS2 title?

Given the Kickstarter upbringing and the incredible weight of expectation of 18 years, maybe my expectations were kept a little in check. I certainly wasn't expecting, and deep down didn't really want, a 'modern' cinematic blockbuster. I expected and wanted more Shenmue. The vibes, the gorgeous Chinese strings in the soundtrack, the amazing sense of place, the sick martial arts moves, and yes, the stilted dialogue and the waiting around and the general jankiness of the UI. That's all Shenmue to me. And I got more than enough of that in this game. 

• Upvote 5