rllmuk
Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | 2019

8 hours ago, Liamness said:

OK maybe there's a little more drama to go. :lol:

That’s completely pointless. At least with Bloodstained they’ve delayed the physical PC release so that it will contain everything on disk including I think all the DLC and they then handed out Steam keys at launch so you could just play through it.

Great they are offering the PS4 physical option to PC backers, but printing PC discs with what will probably be an outdated version of the Epic store is frankly utterly ridiculous! 

Also nice to see they achieved additional stretch goals, even if a few are along the lines of "dump in the pachinko game we already built for X area here" - but particularly the kung-fu and fight system elements, which are so very important to Shenmue. I'm sure Yu will recapture the spirituality of the older games.

On 03/07/2019 at 02:02, pastry said:

Great they are offering the PS4 physical option to PC backers, but printing PC discs with what will probably be an outdated version of the Epic store is frankly utterly ridiculous!

It's only about as ridiculous as all the prior PC games which printed obsolete variants of Valve's launcher due to primarily the game size being too big to fit on a DVD disc (commercial BD games have never taken off AFAIK on PC), and no publisher wanting to spend more money on printing costs:

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-solid-5-pc-disc-steam-installer-123/

In such instances, somebody might ask why even bother with a physical version then? Gifting reasons I suppose.

Physical versions of pc games where it's just an installer for the launcher should be banned, disgraceful waste of plastic. Why the hell people buy them is beyond me. 

• Upvote 8

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Physical versions of pc games where it's just an installer for the launcher should be banned, disgraceful waste of plastic. Why the hell people buy them is beyond me. 

I think I bought one or two such physical pc games - but in all instances because they were really cheap, far cheaper than the digital versions at the time . I didn't even bother with the discs, I simply put the key straight into Steam.

Jason Kingsley of the indie UK games developer Rebellion (also owners of some cult UK comic) swore blind he wouldn't do a PC exclusivity deal only last month, yet has signed his company's latest sequel to the Epic Games Store, citing the very attractive package offered by EGS. One comment I read claimed that the amounts being offered are enough to pay for the entire development of the games in question, just for merely offering 1 year exclusivity on the PC version!

Now I was musing that if Deep Silver did a deal of that sort of size for exclusivity for Shenmue III on the PC, and given how far up the bottle this game gets you in terms of the overall proposed adventure, could this mean they've effectively bankrolled development on Shenmue IV?!?!?!? thanks to the generosity of Tim Sweeney. Now that would be a worthwhile trade-off for pissing off a segment of backers.

Yu Suzuki has already talked about how he now has the team in place to pump out more games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The fact that Lan Di and Ryo will showdown in this one will give me a sense of closure even if it's not the end of the complete story. I've been waiting years to see how that encounter goes down.

The collectors edition is out of stock at every UK retailer including Amazon, Argos, Simplygames and Shopto

Either they've made a paltry amount or unexpected demand. It's a good sign either way.

There must be a lot of new fans who have played the games in the 20 years since they came out that now have disposable income and a willingness to see the story progress. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Down by Law said:

The fact that Lan Di and Ryo will showdown in this one.....

Has this been confirmed?  Thought the game areas were know but not the plot.

On 14/07/2019 at 02:42, Haribokart said:

Still can’t get over the fact that they didn’t change the story (or condense it to the most important parts) to make 3 wrap everything up.

Me too, but in a good way. Yu Suzuki is still a mad man :wub:

• Upvote 2

On 14/07/2019 at 15:55, Down by Law said:

The collectors edition is out of stock at every UK retailer including Amazon, Argos, Simplygames and Shopto

You're looking for a seller?

Looks better and better.

But what is the "All 5,000+ signed by Yu Suzuki himself!" thing? Is it a Steelbook or something else, and who gets one?

53 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Looks better and better.

But what is the "All 5,000+ signed by Yu Suzuki himself!" thing? Is it a Steelbook or something else, and who gets one?

It was one of the backer tiers. Glad he has signed them himself than just a print or auto pen.

So it's just a postcard or something? Either way I'll just be getting the 'backer exclusive case', which is fine by me.

I just hope this means we'll be getting the physical rewards in good time, unlike some other Kickstarted games...

Can anybody who's had experience with other Kickstarter projects answer this query.

What happens with customs? as the fulfillment company, Fangamer is based outside of the EU.

Does this mean unlucky sods not residing in America are going to be hit with an unexpected tax bill for importing their (expensive) backer rewards?

Bollocks! sounds like I'm going to get stung for a fair amount then, they really should have thought about the fact not everybody lives in America or countries with very lax customs.

Steelbook for preorders in the US :

shenmue.jpg

I hope a UK retailer picks it up.

Next big update is Gamescom. Yu Suzuki will be there. I'll update the thread when more details come through.

The Collectors Edition is sold out again on Amazon UK:

68713341_10157227729360803_1180450569936

Just again showing how internet outrage has no bearing on the real world.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Backer update on the trail version.

Hello Everyone,

Today we would like to make an announcement concerning the Kickstarter and Slacker Backer trial version of Shenmue III.

The trial version is scheduled for release during the second half of September. The elements and features to be included have almost all been pinned down, and we are now working to finalize a delivery date with our partners. Once a date has been confirmed, another announcement will be made here in the updates.

Trial Version Content

The trial version will feature a stand-alone act with objective that takes place in the first area of Shenmue III, Bailu Village. The game will be playable for an estimated 1 hours, and will be replayable after the objective has been cleared. There are lots of activities to experience and we hope you go back for more until the trial expires.

*The trial version will also come with a PDF play guide.

**Saves will not transfer over to the final version.

To Play Trial Version

Required PC specifications will be noted in the General Information section of the updates and can also be found on the FAQ.

The trial version will be for PC to be played on the Epic Games Store. An Epic Games account will be needed to play. 

For information on creating an Epic Games account and on Epic Games' privacy policy, please visit the Epic Games Store.

Play Guide Sample Image

We understand this announcement for the trial version comes late and apologize for the long delay. Due to promotional planning circumstances, an early look was given to some game media outlets, however, we are also putting a lot of work into this backer trial version which will offer a good feel for the full game.

Further details concerning the trial version will be announced here in the updates, and we hope you will continue to look forward to the release.

Thank you always for your support.

• Upvote 1