Revival

Shenmue III - PS4/PC | 2019

2 hours ago, ann coulter said:

All cutscenes and fighting animations, no gameplay.

Sounds like Shenmue to me!

Spoiler

I kid. I kid, I'm a backer and looking forward to this and everything :D

• Upvote 1

Oh my fucking God I had proper goosebumps through that trailer! Drunken boxing, surely!? :wub:

Its looking fucking superb. 

Thanks to the link being posted on here I finally did my survey and gave my address for delivery. I've seen people in meltdown over the graphics but all things considered I'm fine with how the game looks. It's not a triple A project and they've clearly used exaggeration of features for things like facial expressions which is good enough of a compromise if not a bit old fashioned.
The environments look fantastic however, they clearly wanted to prioritise the setting over anything else.

• Upvote 3

This looks lovely to me, more than what I'd hoped for graphically, to be honest. Are people actually complaining about the graphics? God those people annoy me, you'd think they'd be happy enough the game even exists at all let alone look as good as it currently does. 

I think they've done a good job of trying to keep the original style. The original games featured pretty heavily exaggerated, and often freakish and flamboyant character designs. The game's look was never photorealistic and that was always part of its charm. Certainly the faces in the Dreamcast games did have a unique depth and richness, but that probably would have been difficult or costly to translate to modern technology. It looks great either way, and in particular the environments which I'm pleased seem to be being prioritised.

I might have a media black out on Shenmue 3 from here onwards, if I can find the strength not to feverishly consume each new morsel we get.

• Upvote 5

Looks like a Dreamcast game and I mean that in best possible way.

Obviously, it looks far better than a Dreamcast game but it looks how I remember them looking with my nostalgic rose tinted glasses on. Still very hyped for this.

• Upvote 5

It looks spectacular to me, I absolutely love the art style – probably because it reminds me quite a lot of "old Sega". It has so much character.

Seeing Ryo beaten down like this makes me wonder if we will see any conclusion - how he could progress far enough in his training to beat Lan Di in the space of this game without some kind of time progression? Perhaps I am just not considering the more supernatural side we saw at the end of Shenmue 2. And of course, perhaps he's never meant to beat Lan Di directly.. 

• Upvote 2

Haven't they said that this won't be the conclusion? Last I read Yu Suzuki was still saying that the game would need another sequel or two. Basically this one needs to sell, so we all need to be sure to buy it, and perhaps even buy a second copy, in fact why not a third? 

Yeah, the original plan was you'd defeat the four Chi You Men generals that corresponded with the Four Symbols of Chinese Mythology and then the head guy Tentei. But they never even got to introducing any of them beyond Lan Di, and most of the plot of 1 and 2 is ultimately filler and pointless.

Yu Suzuki : Lan Di (Rantei-Souryu/藍帝(蒼龍)) is the east leader. His name also means Blue Dragon. About Niao Sun, she also has another name : 炎帝 (Entei), and rules over the South part and is represented by a Phoenix.

Now, regarding the last 2 bosses, no one has seenthem yet. One of them isKoutei (昊帝) and leads the West part and is represented by a Tiger. The last one isGentei (玄帝), covers the North part and is represented by a Turtle.

Oh and, Ziming Hong is not one of the 4th leaders.

Them again, it was supposed to be a swordfighting and magic game originally, it's just the entirety of the released games were the un-representative prologue.

From the original concept art, he basically was meant to become Akira Yuki by the end of his journey, whether that means killing Lan Di though, who knows, maybe he'll realise killing is a pointless means to an end and the cycle of violence can't continue.

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Them again, it was supposed to be a swordfighting and magic game originally, it's just the entirety of the released games were the un-representative prologue.

Got some source for this? Even the Project Berkley footage only shows Shenhua having mystical abilities, it was originally Virtua Fighter RPG, which would go against the premise of it being a swordfighting game.

Pretty sure it was always Virtua Fighter RPG in concept, you can still see the bones of that in the fighting system and I certainly don't recall anything different from either of the two GDC/other industry talks Yu Suzuki has given on the origins of the game. He became interested in Chinese culture while doing research for a Virtua Fighter game back in the 90s.

I'll quote the man himself:

While PlayStation 4 architect and Crash Bandicoot designer Mark Cerny translated, Yu Suzuki explained the game now known as Shenmue began its life as Virtua Fighter RPG: Akira's Story for the previous Sega console, the Saturn. Before this project, Suzuki had made only arcade games.

https://cdn.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/698/698943.jpg

20 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Got some source for this? Even the Project Berkley footage only shows Shenhua having mystical abilities, it was originally Virtua Fighter RPG, which would go against the premise of it being a swordfighting game.

https://archive.is/8FuvP

Yu Suzuki: There was also talk that the Dreamcast could handle the sword fight that we wanted to include in the game so we decided to reprogram the game for Dreamcast. 

There's also Shenhua's flashbacks in 2 where everyone is dressed in ancient dress from the Warring Kingdoms period and she's in period dress on a lot of key art like the US soundtrack album, as if she's an immortal or something, and the flying magic sword, and the CG from the cancelled Shenmue Online that showed her getting some time travel vision and seeing a big actual dragon wrecking Guilan.

Seems tenuous to claim it is actually a game about sword fighting, when the main character has spent two whole games and 5 chapters of the story getting gud with martial arts and from the trailer and previews of the new one, nothing is changing on that front. Even the original concept art for the chapters show Ryo eventually reaching Black Belt status by the end of the story.

The magic angle, fair enough, that was in the Project Berkley CGI teaser so that would be expected and not exactly out of place for a Chinese-set game, considering some of the stuff that happens in other popular Chinese cultural media. I'd ignore anything from Shenmue Online, that is definitely not canon to the main story, considering what you could do in that game.

Somebody can up with a possible explanation for that quote about the Sword fight, it might be related to an item you find in the first game:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46780

As we all know, Ryo gets the Sword Handguard in Chapter 1, which turns out to be a key to the hidden basement in the Hazuki Dojo, as is the sword that's locked away safely infront of the entrance. First time I played it, as I'm sure many of you did, I naturally assumed that the handguard was supposed to be combined with the sword, point-and-click-adventure style, but it doesn't fit...

Now, Oishi (the antique guy who gives you the Sword Handguard) says it's been passed down through the family from generation to generation. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's most probably a unique family heirloom, and with it being in the design of the Hazuki family crest too, that also suggests that it was handcrafted, likely making it unique. One of a kind. Else... it wouldn't be so special, would it?

In some sort of psychic flashback towards the end of the game, Ryo has visions of his father training in the dojo (or in the black abyss, can't remember tbh) with a sword. A sword that bears the same Sword Handguard that seems to be important enough to be carried over into Shenmue II. The thing is though, this sword cannot be the same one that is found in the Hazuki Dojo, because as we've already established, the handguard doesn't fit. The flashback is not of a young, globe-trotting Iwao either, his appearance clearly shows that he is of an age where Ryo has been born. This means that the same sword cannot possibly be something he left in Guilin or Kowloon or any of the other places he's said to have been.

So this begs the question... where's the fucking sword?

I hope they stick with the four Chi You Men masters thing. It seems like a really cool Wushu film direction to take the series.

I remember reading about that back when a Shenmue 3 seemed impossible, and there's pictures and even a short video of Niao Sun out there to google (she appears in a piece of artwork at the end of S2 also). The other two have been shown in silhouette form only IIRC.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah, the original plan was you'd defeat the four Chi You Men generals that corresponded with the Four Symbols of Chinese Mythology and then the head guy Tentei. But they never even got to introducing any of them beyond Lan Di, and most of the plot of 1 and 2 is ultimately filler and pointless.

This is still unbelievable. Only after re-watching the trailers from the late 1990s do you realise how Yu managed to basically tell nothing in two whole games costing a total of 50+ million dollars. Instead, you gamble and work and eat and sleep and walk and wait... all that budget :facepalm: Still love it, obviously.

In the context that all the games are just chapters of a grand story, not doing much for the first 5 chapters (even though you do a fair bit actually) is just luxurious indulgent laying of ground work for when you take it to the next level :) , as there is still stuff from the Project Berkley reveal that hasn't happened yet, unless Yu Suzuki is forced to drastically rewrite the original planned story arc.

He's laid out some threads that will probably have some results later on down the line.

There's the obvious thread of wanting revenge running through the series that affects multiple characters for example, including at least one we haven't actually met yet.

At this point in time, if you want something like this you probably know you do and if you don't, there are probably about at least 1 Million alternative ways to spend your virtual world time that somebody has suggested as a way better alternative to this over the years, probably repeatedly in some cases ;)

I watched the new trailer a few more times. I think they've done an absolutely brilliant job of the camera work and environments, and as I've already said, I love the art and character style. Wonderful to see some creativity rather than out and out "realism". 

Maybe it's because I don't have much time for gaming so I don't notice if there's anything "wrong" with it, but when I see things like butterflies and waving bamboo in the background, and in the foreground those solid, chunky, full-of-life characters with full facial animation, all set to subtle camera work and rendered with well-considered lighting and DOF... I have to ask what the hell people must expect!

I'm so impressed with what a small team have achieved here - remembering the other environments we've already seen, and noting this trailer is all set in the rural areas, I'm excited to see the rest of it brought to life. 

- - -

In terms of the story - sure, it makes sense it would need one or more additional releases - painful as that notion is. It's fair to say that the momentum was building massively throughout Shenmue 2, so if that pace continues we might get somewhere.. but yeah, it sounds way bigger than this release.

I would certainly put in the same $ amount for Shenmue 4 – I dare say they could match the last Kickstarter, and of course for a future game they already have a team in place, a lot of assets ready to go, hopefully a revised and manageable story arc, and far less time would be required to kick off - the only problem might be holding that team together until they have sufficient funding.

• Upvote 3

So it's going to become even more like Virtua Fighter RPG than before, with an added Fishing game (which is pretty de rigueur in an RPG too :) )

I'm not to sure how I feel about that actually, I pretty much ignored the RPG leveling system that existed in the previous games and you could get away with it too, which I suppose is what the new auto-pilot mode is meant to cover.

14 minutes ago, mushashi said:

So it's going to become even more like Virtua Fighter RPG than before, with an added Fishing game (which is pretty de rigueur in an RPG too :) )

I'm not to sure how I feel about that actually, I pretty much ignored the RPG leveling system that existed in the previous games and you could get away with it too, which I suppose is what the new auto-pilot mode is meant to cover.

Probably not but then this is a gameplay demo so they will have focused on the parts that have gameplay.

The descriptions remind me of a game that used to keep getting referred to as Shenmue but you know, actually good and that most certainly did require bullshit like healing items and leveling up moves and health bars and other typical RPG bollocks, but as long as they give you the option to ignore most of that, best of both worlds :)

It’s actually very different: the shop I see has an inventory screen where you can scroll through items and a range of things to buy. Prices will vary based on location, reflecting economics, and you’ll need different items to feed, heal and buff yourself. If a player wants to be sensible with their money, Suzuki suggests that they remember where certain items are cheapest and travel to buy.

All of this links back to one core fact of Shenmue 3: it’s also more of a proper role-playing game. Ryo will have access to all of his martial arts moves from the previous games, but he’ll still have to master them. Moves level up in a RPG fashion with practice, which now plays a greater role in Ryo’s revenge quest.

On 11/03/2019 at 12:05, jimmbob said:

Haven't they said that this won't be the conclusion? Last I read Yu Suzuki was still saying that the game would need another sequel or two. Basically this one needs to sell, so we all need to be sure to buy it, and perhaps even buy a second copy, in fact why not a third? 

I’ve already bought two copies!

• Upvote 1

Yeah i hope they don't make too much of that kind of thing – what next, a "Get Ryo to the toilet in time" QTE?

I always enjoyed the training and VF-like system, that all feels true to Ryo's character and quest. His need for a protein shake, not so much.

• Upvote 1

On 12/03/2019 at 01:49, probotector said:

It’s depressing to think I was playing Shenmue nearly 20 years ago.

It feels like last year.

I played through the first one in a week at university.

University!

• Upvote 1

I've been playing it again for the first time since it came out and it hasn't got any better IMO. You spend half your time waiting for the clock to run down and its scope so limited it feels like a massively extended prologue, which of course is what it is. It feels like something that should be out of the way in five hours so you can get on the boat and start playing the meat of the game.

I wonder how many people were put off by Shenmue 1 and never experienced the masterpiece that was the sequel?

• Empathy 1

10 hours ago, Trumpets said:

I've been playing it again for the first time since it came out and it hasn't got any better IMO. You spend half your time waiting for the clock to run down and its scope so limited it feels like a massively extended prologue, which of course is what it is. It feels like something that should be out of the way in five hours so you can get on the boat and start playing the meat of the game.

I wonder how many people were put off by Shenmue 1 and never experienced the masterpiece that was the sequel?

Shenmue I is better than II. No game before or since has nailed the atmosphere of a small town that well.

• Upvote 2