Next-Gen Headset Recommendations

Harsin

I just played that with my headphones on, sounded good - very interesting but can it help picking out footsteps in COD??

which cod? AW nerfed it completely, ghosts yes by miles, especially with amplify and dead silence.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been given the Sony wireless 2.0 headphones as an early birthday presents and have been messing with them on my ps4 all night.

OH MY GOD! What an absolute mother fucking game changer!! I love a nice pair of headphones (have ultrasone and P5's) but never been a headphones while gaming guy, I'm never going back now. The details you pick up are incredible and the virtual surround works damn well adding a great level of immersion too. GTA V and Alien were always going to be amazing but best surprise so far has been Diablo 3 reaper of souls. The virtual surround working directionally from your on screen character. The music in Ollie ollie, mercenary kings and hotline Miami also comes right to life. Can not believe they are so good for such a low price too.

Just wait until you hook up the P5's ;)

But yeah, i just don't know why i didn't use headphones for so many years and will never go back now even tho i have a very good amp and speaker combo!

I wonder if we will start to get lossless audio soon, would get a new mixamp type box if that was offered but outside of that i couldn't be happier with headphone setup.

• 4 weeks later...

angel, well for info of the thread really...

One of my ps4 mates had been annoying as hell in party chat as his voice was all over the place and he said he was getting interference and wireless drops on his turtlebeach set (to be fair xbox 360 era) so i badgered him into getting a mixamp setup - he picked one up with some A40s on ebay.

Anyhoo, onto the point - he was blown away with the quality jump over his TB set and asked to borrow my Sennheisers to compare - he bought them off me so that says it all, they were HD515 so pretty low end and old now but he says they are miles better than the A40 set - somewhat annoyingly for me he sold his A40 set for more than i sold him my HD515 and modmic!

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got my stuff set up upstairs and I want to compare my Sony Wireless 2.0's to what my Yamaha RX-V473 amp can do with the AKG K550's, and there's so much you can faff about with on the amp I guess I want to use the former as a sort of baseline to see what I can do with the latter as much as anything.

Any recommendations on which games to try though (list of what I've got spoilered below)? I thought some were supposed to have some special profiles for the Sony headset and so might be best to compare as far as virtual surround goes, but I can't find anything on it. Having so much to choose from is a bit of a curse as I don't know where to start, I've not played much so ideally it'll be something where it's got stuff going on early on.

After Burner Climax
Assassin's Creed III
Battlefield 3
Catherine
CounterSpy
Dead Space 3
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
Demon's Souls
Destiny
DmC Devil May Cry
Doki-Doki Universe
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
DuckTales: Remastered
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
Everybody's Golf: World Tour Complete Edition
Far Cry 3
FEZ
Flower
Frozen Synapse Prime
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
God of War HD
God of War II HD
GRID 2
Guacamelee!
Gunstar Heroes
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin HD
Hitman Contracts HD
Hitman: Blood Money HD
HOARD
Hotline Miami
ICO Classics HD
inFAMOUS : Festival of Blood
inFamous 2
Jak 3
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Jak II : Renegade
Journey
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
LittleBigPlanet 2
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
LUFTRAUSERS
MAFIA II
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - HD Edition
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - HD Edition
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - HD Edition
Metro: Last Light
Minecraft
MotorStorm Apocalypse
MotorStorm RC
NBA 2K13
NBA 2K14
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Okami HD
OlliOlli
Papo & Yo Full Game
PAYDAY The Heist
PAYDAY 2
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Prototype 2
Puppeteer
Raiden IV: OverKill
Remember Me
Rogue Legacy
Saints Row: The Third
Shadow of the Colossus Classics HD
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Spec Ops: The Line
Spelunky
Sportsfriends
Stealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark
Super Stardust HD
The Cave
The Swapper
Thief
TOKYO JUNGLE
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition
Vessel
WipEout HD
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Yakuza 4

Yeah, they're all PS3 games. No idea about the rest of it, although the mention of an app helped - appears there is a PS3 version but from a brief read it's pretty limited as to what's supported and what it actually does on either system so I guess what I need is a game that'd potentially show off the virtual surround either way.

What comes as recommended for purely chat (ie no game audio) use on the PS4?

I've got a perfectly good surround setup for the game audio part of it and don't like ear bud type ear thingies (they either hurt my ear or fall out) so the supplied one isn't really any good to me.

All the ones I've seen look to be rather cheap and nearly all of them complain about the ear volume being too low. Are there any "quality" ones around?

The login sound will be enough to tell you how much better your AKG cans are!

This was actually true, and I plumped for a run through the intro and the start of Ground Zeroes as my main test. The Sony Wireless ones still have some use (the mic, handy for wandering while the football is on the PC via Sky or something) but the difference in quality is pretty ridiculous so there's only one choice for gaming. To be fair, the Yamaha amp and the K550's cost a lot more than the £50 or so I spent on the Sony's though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no audiophile but I've found them to be fine. Sure the virtual surround isn't perfect and the sound could have more oomph to it but at that price you really can't complain.

My only real worry is they are a little plasticky so I make sure to handle them with kid gloves!

• 7 months later...

I was given a Corsair Vengeance H2100 wireless headset for Christmas, it is beautiful looking and incredibly comfortable. Sadly, it doesn't appear Corsair have got them working with Windows 10. I've had it working in stereo but after installing the Corsair software, even that isn't working now. I've installed the Razer Surround software which can manage the virtual surround but Windows can't detect the headset anymore :(

I'm reluctant to return them (not even sure I can) but unless I can get them working after a fresh Windows install, I might have to consider it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in the price range (around £100)? The Logitech G930 seems to appear in a lot of headset recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought these because my Astro 30s broke (the dogs chewed them) - Quite well reviewed, hopefully they will do a good job.

Couldn't face spending the premium for the Astros and apparently these are just as good.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g933-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

g933-artemis-spectrum.png

Sounded nice and clear!

What have you done with the Astro Mixamp???

I was given a Corsair Vengeance H2100 wireless headset for Christmas, it is beautiful looking and incredibly comfortable. Sadly, it doesn't appear Corsair have got them working with Windows 10. I've had it working in stereo but after installing the Corsair software, even that isn't working now. I've installed the Razer Surround software which can manage the virtual surround but Windows can't detect the headset anymore :(

I'm reluctant to return them (not even sure I can) but unless I can get them working after a fresh Windows install, I might have to consider it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions in the price range (around £100)? The Logitech G930 seems to appear in a lot of headset recommendations.

I've got a Corsair headset and if it is anything like mine, which has processing software built into it, then you'll have to disable any PCI/motherboard integral soundcard. Try disabling it in bios or device manager.

I still have the mixamp.. I'll take a photo of it and show you which one.. Can I still use it?

So I am using the logitech with my PS4.

I cannot find anywhere in the menus of the console which reduces the sound of team mates voices (either in a PSN party or in game party)

Any help/ideas? I want the game sound cranked up but doing so makes team mates voices far too loud, hurts my ear.

No idea on the Logitech, I thought you could set the chat/game balance on the PS4 but not used anything but a TB or Astro setup.

Post a pic of your mixamp - should be able to use it with either a new astro headset or a headphones + mic setup, mine is this;

File%2008-01-2016%2C%2004%2045%2042.jpeg

Philips X2 headphones + instead of the normal lead I use a Vmoda boom mic pro.

Do any of these modmic vmoda things do mic monitoring? I can't get on with headsets that don't let you hear your own voice.

Yeah, its pretty quiet but its there and I have never had an issue with it - apparently the new version of the Mixamp TR has the option to increase/decrease the volume of mic monitoring.

My only real worry is they are a little plasticky so I make sure to handle them with kid gloves!

Mine just broke after 18months - after handling them with kid gloves!

The plastic band on top is too thin - my headset cracked 2/3 cm ABOVE the hinges :blink2:

Now I'm in a game of pingpong between the retailer and Sony. Neither want to cough up :angry: (although theoretically EU law should protect me - I'm in the "grey zone" of +6months of usage)

It's not too expensive & it works great, but this kind of experience - programmed malfunctioning - I only associated with shady brands!

• 1 month later...
On 21/04/2015 at 4:32 PM, womble9 said:

What comes as recommended for purely chat (ie no game audio) use on the PS4?

I've got a perfectly good surround setup for the game audio part of it and don't like ear bud type ear thingies (they either hurt my ear or fall out) so the supplied one isn't really any good to me. 

All the ones I've seen look to be rather cheap and nearly all of them complain about the ear volume being too low. Are there any "quality" ones around? 

I've spent the last hour looking for something like this that doesn't look completely shit or have loads of terrible reviews. Basically just a mono purely chat headset like the old 360 one, but better. Anyone?