Lasagne viewpoints required

Jonnysaxc

I need to clear this up as it's been on my mind for a long time

When you make lasagne, are you able to slice it and serve it like a slice of cake or is it a bit of a gloopy mess (like mine)

I'm not sure what I'm aiming for anymore re lasagne and maybe the pictures of it on frozen food packets present an unfair body image to live up to OR I am a disgrace

I need to clear this up as it's been on my mind for a long time

When you make lasagne, are you able to slice it and serve it like a slice of cake or is it a bit of a gloopy mess (like mine)

I'm not sure what I'm aiming for anymore re lasagne and maybe the pictures of it on frozen food packets present an unfair body image to live up to OR I am a disgrace

I used to work with a chap called Vincenzo Guiseppe Fortunato Conigliaro. His wife used to make lasagne you would not beleive. There must have been 10 layers and it held together like cake, but was not at all firm when you actually ate it. It was simpyl the best lasagne I have ever eaten.

So I think the secret is lots of layers like what the Italians do (or Sicilians do anyway).

Oh also, from start to finish it used to take her 7 hours to make.

How much does it cost to make a decent lasange? It is one of those "cheap" foods, but unless you're making it mooosive and divvying up the portions (or its feeding many) then its not really that cheap at all is it?

Well it freezes really well. So I tend to make it on a weekend and feed the kids and have enough left over for about 3 meals which I stick in tupperware boxes and freeze. Then have at my leisure. So for my uses, yeah it's pretty cheap.

I use no bechamel in mine. Hate the stuff lol

I use dried pasta as it soaks more of the flavour from the ragu and just coat with grated cheese for the last 10 mins in the oven

Costs me about £8 to make a tray with 6 good portions. Usually have portion each that night, another each the following night and freeze the final 2 for later in the month.

No béchamel here either. I make a quite spicy ragu with beef, tinned tomato, fresh tomato, tomato puree, mushrooms, onion, broccoli (chopped very small), chilli and whatever other veg I fancy. Season with salt, pepper, maybe a dollop of mustard or chilli paste. Then as much red wine as I can spare and reduce.

Layer with the lasagna slices and smother in vintage cheddar. Bake for 45 mins and eat the leftovers for a week.

• 3 weeks later...

A few things I do with my lasagne...

A generous teaspoon of cinnamon added to the bechamel.

A teaspoon of whole grain mustard added to the bechamel.

Panko sprinkled on the topping with grated cheese and thin slices of beef tomato.

The first two give both bite and a hint of sweetness to the overall flavour. Occasionally I go mental and put a teasp. of cinnamon in ragu too.

Mascarpone!

Both stirred into the ragu rather the milk suggested above, and then dotted between layers if you don't want to do bechamel. It's a wondrous ingredient, creamy and rich and just slightly sweet. A great counterpoint to a hearty ragu.

Its also fantastic stirred through risotto immediately after cooking and dotted on pizza alongside spicy charcuterie.

Mascarpone!

Both stirred into the ragu rather the milk suggested above, and then dotted between layers if you don't want to do bechamel. It's a wondrous ingredient, creamy and rich and just slightly sweet. A great counterpoint to a hearty ragu.

Its also fantastic stirred through risotto immediately after cooking and dotted on pizza alongside spicy charcuterie.

I am gonna try some of these suggestions. I do like me a dollop of mascarpone.