Persona 5 | Persona 5 Royal | See OP for free DLC and guide to unlock P5R's new semester

A6T6fzi.jpg

Woo, my copy has just arrived (courtesy of ShopTo). I’m technically still “at work” at the moment but the weekend entertainment is sorted... :wub: 

(Also we’re kind of planning for a house move over here so I intend to binge on as much of this as possible before everything is in boxes... :P )

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, max renn said:

Slightly OT but I've completed the Vanilla P5 and am itching to get this BUT..I've got Tokyo Mirage sessions on my pile of shame.

What to do hive mind?

If you've got Tokyo Mirage Sessions sat there, give it a whirl. It's similar but different enough that you'll probably enjoy it. 

And it's an awesome game to boot. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry if it has been asked before but I've got P5 but haven't played it. I've just got P5 Royal Edition.

Is it worth playing the original or just skip it and go straight for the royal edition?

I've heard that they have changed a lot with the new edition so would that make it different enough to play through both? 

You may as well play Royal which is an extended version of the original with new locations and characters but the same main story. The updates aren’t always popular, I know some people didn’t like the changes in Persona 4 Golden, but if you’ve never played it before you may as well go for the complete version.

I’d jump straight to Royal - from first impressions it seems to do everything the original did and add extra bits.

I completed Kamoshida’s palace last night but didn’t hang around to find every Will Seed, so... oops. Also some of the stuff you get from having a vanilla P5 save present will disappear fast if you’re like me!

Spoiler

There are some revival and recovery items, which you may be able to hang on to if you’re familiar with the original - however, you also get about ¥50’000, which you’ll quickly burn through for guns, weapons and armour :P 

Post pics when it arrives!

I've cleared Kaneshiro's palace, which wasn't too dissimilar from before, but I rushed in a bit against some stronger enemies, which wasn't the best idea... :blush: Still, I've got Makoto and Yusuke in my party now, and they were pretty much essential for most of the original game. Aaand it's still dropping new gameplay tweaks on me, such as Showtime moves* and Fusion alarms** so there's a lot to figure out.

I've had some scenes with Kasumi as well, but they seem to happen automatically at the moment; I haven't really found many opportunities where I can choose to hang out with her (maybe one or two phone invites but no physical meetups.) We'll see.

Oh, and Disaster Shadows are amazing. Risky, but amazing.

Spoiler

special attacks unlocked at certain character dates that require specific pairs of people in your party, and which activate when certain actions happen in battle (such as baton passes)

Spoiler

randomly triggered Velvet Room events that allow fused demons to have enhanced stats, new skills etc

• Upvote 1

Amazon have shipped my LE and it scheduled to arrive tomorrow which would be the first time I have ever had a game early from them. I did consider getting it digitally considering how much of a time sink P5 was but I'm a sucker for a good art book and unlike other LE this one is actually a decent size and not just an expanded manual. 

So after playing a bit more I get the feeling that you can't really "miss" Kasumi's confidant events as long as you keep answering her messages, so you don't really run into the problem of "wait, they show up on this street on this day during the evening and I never knew until I was almost done?!" that you sometimes had with 3 and 4. :D Also, spoilers for the length of her confidant arc:

Spoiler

it has five ranks instead of the usual ten, and I'm already close to wrapping it up. That said, this could be something similar to when the Fool S.Link in P4 reaches rank ten and then initiates the Judgement S.Link at rank one?

So we'll see what happens there.

• Upvote 1

Very tired but having a quick go on this. That title sequence is amazing. Intrigued to try out all the dlc but won’t be able do that for a bit. Doesn’t look like the P5 dlc is showing up for free yet though. Or maybe I’m not doing something right

Link for the DLC

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0177-CUSA17419_00-P5RDLCBUNDLE0001

I'd forgotten about the little touches in the opening couple of hours, being able to see and listen to characters you will meet later on. I only just figured out who the voice was that talks to you when the butterfly appears....

Have to say though, the opening section does take some getting through and I could see why some people were turned off by it.

30 minutes ago, wev said:

Jealous

So many costumes to try as well. It's a shame you can't set the Battle Music to be random like in PQ2 but there you go! 

Graphic seem to be improved as well, so nice lighting effects and the character models look sharper. Going through Kamoshida's palace now, and realised I've completely forgotten how to jump into cover, hence being back on the computer now to check!

A quick warning: apparently there’s some missable stuff depending on your confidant progress at certain dates - this shouldn’t be much of a spoiler to anyone familiar with P5 (or even P4) but Royal seems to have stuff gated behind a few prerequisites, and I’ve only just found this out online despite being pretty far in (so I may already be boned :P ) Worth checking out if you don’t want to miss stuff... (just google “how to get persona royal ending” or something.)

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

A quick warning: apparently there’s some missable stuff depending on your confidant progress at certain dates - this shouldn’t be much of a spoiler to anyone familiar with P5 (or even P4) but Royal seems to have stuff gated behind a few prerequisites, and I’ve only just found this out online despite being pretty far in (so I may already be boned :P ) Worth checking out if you don’t want to miss stuff... (just google “how to get persona royal ending” or something.)

Good to know thanks. At least I'll know what to prioritise confidant wise

Bit of a mixed review from EG

Great new gameplay features can't help the fact that Persona 5 Royal drags on even more than its predecessor

I did find it dragging which is why I quit after 60 odd hours (4th Dungeon I think), my son is currently playing it & said thet have made some changes that he enjoys.

Is the totally egregious amount of repetition across face to face conversations, IM etc still the same?

I've already bought it but would be good to know.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, danbot said:

Is the totally egregious amount of repetition across face to face conversations, IM etc still the same?

I've already bought it but would be good to know.

Thanks.

IMs seem to be the same but it doesn't seem as annoying this time as there is more time in the evenings to do stuff so there is more of a gap between them. But they seem to be the same.

One thing that has definitely been improved is the Trophy requirements as it looks they can be done in 1 run now and are not as tough to get. Theres just a lot of them. But no max out all confidants, no complete the compendium style stuff. 

• Upvote 1

I'm at Okumara's palace now; a lot of it's the same so far, including that marathon of airlock-opening and switch-pulling in the Transfer Line room - it's one of the late-game areas that I always thought could have been shorter, but in Royal it's pretty much unchanged. I'm still fretting about those ending conditions, but I've managed to get SP Adhesive 3s for my main party members, and they were always essential for clearing a palace in one or two days and freeing up a bunch of time before the next event.

@danbot There's still a lot of dialogue to get through when you're not dungeon-crawling. Sometimes it breaks things up nicely, but sometimes people ramble a bit... especially when you're revisiting events from the original and know what's going to be said. :P 

• Upvote 2

I’m five hours in so far and working my way through the first palace. The introduction of the new character reminds me of when Dawn was introduced in Buffy, everything feels the same but is now also slightly off. I’d also forgotten how bleak the start of the game was.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I'm still fretting about those ending conditions, but I've managed to get SP Adhesive 3s for my main party members, and they were always essential for clearing a palace in one or two days and freeing up a bunch of time before the next event.

I wouldn't worry about that, I think since the new content is gated off behind them, you'll have plenty of time. 

Just sent the calling card to Kamoshida after intending to go to bed a few hours ago. I did like the changes in that palace though. Grabbed the 3 Wild Seeds and got a nice item from those, was fun seeing how they had them in there too. Plus I was dreading the bit of the roof which was a pain in the arse in the original, mainly down to camera and stealth controls but the new tools have made that nice and easy. 

What difficulty are people on? I started on normal but there was little challenge, so switched to hard. I think the Persona Q games have toughened me up, and making sure you use buffs, debuffs and baton passes makes it manageable on hard. And I am crap at games. Bit worried the first boss will present issues, but can always knock it back to normal if I need to.

• Upvote 1