Ultimate Team

Timmo

4 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Perhaps now you can use your powers for good, like teaching me how to not suck utter balls at the gameplay.

You need to get a stream on and I can watch some of your games, we can play a couple as well, minor things can make the biggest difference 

42 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Gooner will love him some Emmanuel.  A leggy, dynamic, defensive midfielder!  The 2nd most important position on the pitch, just behind left back. 

3rd surely, behind Michael Keane. :lol:

39 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Thats me and the weekend league done, my goal was to get Thierry Henry and hit elite once on 18, I've done it twice now and got Titi, I'm good.

See you tomorrow night pal.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

How are you enjoying Ultimate Team, Jamin? I’ve been pretty addicted since FIFA 14/15 and still haven’t lost any interest. 

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Kind of wish I bothered to play when I was much better at the game though, haha.

It has definitely gotten it's teeth into me and will keep playing... tbh I think I actually enjoy working out the gameplay as much as the thrll of opening a pack. Keeping a clean sheet in this is more satisfying than a win! I just want to get good at defending, you think you're doing OK and then you come up against a good player and get schooled. Thankfully it seems a lot are in the same boat, so trying to take it less serious.

How you finding this version specifically Timmo?

15 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Kind of wish I bothered to play when I was much better at the game though, haha.

It has definitely gotten it's teeth into me and will keep playing... tbh I think I actually enjoy working out the gameplay as much as the thrll of opening a pack. Keeping a clean sheet in this is more satisfying than a win! I just want to get good at defending, you think you're doing OK and then you come up against a good player and get schooled. Thankfully it seems a lot are in the same boat, so trying to take it less serious.

How you finding this version specifically Timmo?

There’s a pattern I follow each year. I’ll start well up to about Div 5 and then I’ll win pretty much 50% of my Seasons games until about January when that’ll reach 70% I’ll get good enough to reach Div 1 and win 50-60% in weekend league. I don’t play weekend league much usually but even 5-10 wins over a weekend gives far better rewards than Seasons. 

Anyway, this year I’m already up to Div 2 and winning a good 65-70% of my matches. However, there is a problem. This week’s patch might have killed me. I was averaging 5 goals scored a match before it and now I’m struggling to score 2 or 3 whilst still conceding a fair amount; like you say defending is extremely hard this year. I’ll have to see if I can adapt but this happens every year really, they love to drop these patches on us. In fairness this was needed because my method of scoring was pretty undefendable (ping pong passes near the box) so I’m not complaining. 

That at was a lot more rambley than I intended. In conclusion I give the game 78%

2nd half + extra time of a DKT game I played tonight. Please feel free to watch 5 minutes and rip my play to shreds.

I didn't feel I created much, but also feel like I wasn't really under pressure... Any patterns or regular mistakes that anyone notices, don't be shy.

(Alternatively, it's worth watching the very end of the video for 119th minute DRAMA.)

Qualified for my first weekend league tonight, played some good stuff overall even registering a clean sheet in the final.

Aside from a mental 5-4 defeat in the previous attempts' final (hit the post twice at 4-4, having come back from 1-4 grr!) I felt more solid at the back. Doubt I'll get chance to play many this weekend but will try to.

Also opened 3 more packs from final SBCs - Glik was my best pick, goes for 8k, although I'll never use him in my team. 

25 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

2nd half + extra time of a DKT game I played tonight. Please feel free to watch 5 minutes and rip my play to shreds.

I didn't feel I created much, but also feel like I wasn't really under pressure... Any patterns or regular mistakes that anyone notices, don't be shy.

(Alternatively, it's worth watching the very end of the video for 119th minute DRAMA.)

I've watched the vid dude, you're better waiting for Timmo/Gooners thought but my criticisms are:

-trying to force the play too much & losing the ball cheaply. Against the best players this will hurt you. Pass the ball around as you build up play more, don't force it to the strikers too early, or around the box too eagerly - use midfielders until the pass will definitely reach. 

-most of your short passes are "one-two" passes. IMO don't ever do a one two pass with your CDMs or full backs (unless you do want them to bomb on & leave you vulnerable to a counter). 

-defending. When a striker has the ball on the edge of your box, unless you think he'll shoot immediately  I always try & control a CDM and get him to tackle back, rather than bringing out a CB. If your opponent is a speedy dribbler type who usually just tries to use pace, I usually try & get a pacey full back on the side he's attacking, waiting for him to try & speed past your CB before stepping out with said full back at full tilt to nick the ball. Admittedly this is due to my CBs both being mid 60s pace so if you have speedy CBs this might not be so important.

32 minutes ago, Pants McSkill said:

Just very quickly I’ll go more in depth tomorrow, but at 7.24 in the video, you should have shushed that time wasting little bitch all the way to the halfway line before dabbing.

at 9.30ish when you concede in ET, this area of the pitch you are too manual, chasing the ball/ball carrier creating gaps in defence, at this point your CDM should be around them/the ball and the AI should keep your defence in a line.

When attacking you take too long to shoot, trying to get the strong foot or better player to take the shot instead.

I just made Division 1 in the craziest way. I was really struggling and with 4 games to go I needed a win just to survive. All the games were really tough and against expensive teams. At that point it wasn't even looking that likely. Anyway, I decided to give 4-2-3-1 a try and instantly I feel so much more secure in defence.

I then come up against a guy who has Del Piero, Rui Costa, Emmanuel Petit, Lothar Matthaus and Schmeichel, all the highest rated ones, I mean he's well on his way to a full icon team. His team is worth about 7 or 8 million. Anyway I completely shut him out and keep my first clean sheet in forever taking it 1-0.

Anyway I win all 4 and clinch promotion to the top league. I'm still stuggling to score like I used to but I'm gradually getting better.

Yeah and just to add two more to my list:

-shooting from outside the box - you had quite a few chances to but never did. It's super powerful in this version so do it more. This is also related to my next point...

-variety of play. You need to mix up your attacking style a bit. Shots from the edge do this & keep opponents on their toes but also you went down the wings a lot & always passed inside before reaching it. I get why - it's effective in this version. Go down the flank now & then too, crossing early for Ibra (beast in the air) or pass back to the full back even. Essentially - mix it up, and be decisive with it too. It won't always work out but it will make the other player unsure of your tactics.

PS Firmino is a beast finisher in this, get him in your team alongside Ibra. He's lethal in the box for me - you were super unlucky with him hitting the bar at the end there. #sadface

6 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Just very quickly I’ll go more in depth tomorrow, but at 7.24 in the video, you should have shushed that time wasting little bitch all the way to the halfway line before dabbing.

:lol:

Cheers for the initial tips fellas. The taking too long to shoot and not taking enough long shots certainly ring true, and I'll really focus on controlling my CDM more, as now you've said it, it seems obvious.

I also had no idea my play was so predictable! But again, now you've said it, it's obvious. 

1 hour ago, LiMuBai said:

I won my first ever online game last night in the daily knockout!!! 3-1. Then the next game was 0-0 and I lost the penalty shoot out. Why are the penalties different to offline mode? The arrow and shot power indicators were missing?

There's no 'trainer' mode online - it caught me out too.

What made you play that 2nd pass long to the striker Naka? Almost feels like a Hail Mary given the unpredictability of the aerial battles but in this instance it has created a spectacular goal. Very nice!!

In terms of stand out players for me Timo Werner is on another level. Scored 25 in 21 games for me and seems so well rounded with his pace and ball retention. Unless I can get an absolute top tier striker or Icon Larsson then I can't see him being dropped from any team I use.