IGNORED

Mega Drive. Yeah!

strider

53 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Cheers! And I'm reassured to hear I wasn't alone with the circus - it felt like I'd missed something fundamental.

Currently getting destroyed on a bridge by a big laser-eyed robot but I'll get there. There's something I find incredibly compelling about it. The characters are definitely part of that, which is impressive considering how rudimentary they and the story are in a lot of ways #teamGort

The Laser Eye battle is incredible. Another highlight of the game. Give everyone a try in your team, Zylo is incredible and there's quite a lot of hidden characters to find.

8 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Was looking into Techno Cop the other day and it surprised me. Didn't know it was the sort of system to have games like that:

You mean ports of mediocre British Amiga games? There were a fair few.

10 hours ago, electricmastro said:

Was looking into Techno Cop the other day and it surprised me. Didn't know it was the sort of system to have games like that:

spacer.png

Had to look that up! Very violent for a 90s 16 bit console game! Any good?

On 03/07/2022 at 12:33, bplus said:

Wonder why anyone thought porting a dreadful game was a good idea?

I understand that Sega was more willing to have darker, grittier titles on Genesis, thinking those had mass appeal, and Razorsoft might be a prime example of delivering such titles, with slogans like "You have entered the Blood Pit to challenge those who represent death and dismemberment" and "Welcome to the gorific Blood Pit!" They even had statements on their games at various times suggesting that kids younger than 12 not play them too.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, electricmastro said:

I understand that Sega was more willing to have darker, grittier titles on Genesis, thinking those had mass appeal, and Razorsoft might be a prime example pf delivering such titles, with slogans like "You have entered the Blood Pit to challenge those who represent death and dismemberment" and "Welcome to the gorific Blood Pit!" They even had statements on their games at various times suggesting that kids younger than 12 not play them too.

spacer.png

Ha! That reads like a game Bart wanted to play in the Simpsons "disemboweler 4x or something like that.

On 02/07/2022 at 19:46, Phantoon said:

The Laser Eye battle is incredible. Another highlight of the game. Give everyone a try in your team, Zylo is incredible and there's quite a lot of hidden characters to find.

Laser Battle done! More importantly - your comment finally made me realise, three chapters and umpteen hours in, that I even can change characters. I did wonder where Zylo had gone after I freed him...

I really get fucked off with these retro collections not incorporating manual scans. It's a nice touch if nothing else (see the Mega Man Legacy Collection, Sonic Origins etc) and takes so little effort.

12 hours ago, Yasawas said:

Laser Battle done! More importantly - your comment finally made me realise, three chapters and umpteen hours in, that I even can change characters. I did wonder where Zylo had gone after I freed him...

I really get fucked off with these retro collections not incorporating manual scans. It's a nice touch if nothing else (see the Mega Man Legacy Collection, Sonic Origins etc) and takes so little effort.

Yeah, older games really assumed you'd at least glance at the manual. It's a genuine problem for the more complicated games of the era.

I think the Shade Abbey battle is my favourite. You start in a terrible situation and the best units in normal situations are pretty bad here. You don't have many moves to get everyone safe.

It is just the nostalgia, or is Quackshot just genuinely really fucking good and one of the best 16-bit games of all time? I’m playing through it again now, and I love it so much. The graphics, music, non-linear structure, variety in the stages, it’s all top-notch. As good as the Of Illusion games are, I reckon this tops them all.

It was one of the first Mega Drive games I had when I was 8, picked up from a car boot sale the weekend after my birthday (which is when I got the Mega Drive), purely because it was Disney-related. What a glorious find.

35D21564-B687-445E-AA99-B18B440FE35D.thumb.jpeg.122672566bc669dfc376c4b5cb94580d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

It is just the nostalgia, or is Quackshot just genuinely really fucking good and one of the best 16-bit games of all time? I’m playing through it again now, and I love it so much. The graphics, music, non-linear structure, variety in the stages, it’s all top-notch. As good as the Of Illusion games are, I reckon this tops them all.

It was one of the first Mega Drive games I had when I was 8, picked up from a car boot sale the weekend after my birthday (which is when I got the Mega Drive), purely because it was Disney-related. What a glorious find.

35D21564-B687-445E-AA99-B18B440FE35D.thumb.jpeg.122672566bc669dfc376c4b5cb94580d.jpeg

It's great huh? Still enjoyable to replay. The hideout level is a little tough with the platforming but the graphics and sound is top class.

4 hours ago, Paulando said:

High five, very similar for me although it was a rental and my dad and I didn't quite get through it. I did eventually play complete it a few years back and loved it though. Made all the more magical by the incredibly hazy memory of one weekend 25 years early. Essentially I remembered a tiger boss and some kind of popcorn gun.

It doesn't beat World of Illusion though, come on ffs.

8 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Essentially I remembered a tiger boss and some kind of popcorn gun.

I still remembered the exact route to the tiger in the Maharajah’s palace :lol:

On 04/07/2022 at 22:32, Phantoon said:

Yeah, older games really assumed you'd at least glance at the manual. It's a genuine problem for the more complicated games of the era.

I think the Shade Abbey battle is my favourite. You start in a terrible situation and the best units in normal situations are pretty bad here. You don't have many moves to get everyone safe.

I loved that battle. Shining Force 1 and 2 were my favourite Mega Drive games alongside the Phantasy Star trio (not so much 3).

On 08/07/2022 at 16:32, DarhkFox said:

It's great huh? Still enjoyable to replay. The hideout level is a little tough with the platforming but the graphics and sound is top class.

Yeah, just remembered the bit that always used to get me on that stage - those extending platforms that spread out from the centre. Pretty tricky when you’re eight, with a game that doesn’t like dishing out extra lives.

One of my more fond titles for the system that might not necessarily be peoples’ first choices. Constructing your own amusement parks is always fun and fortunately this version of the game is still functional enough to have fun with.

F0454-F5-C-3-A06-4-ECB-8-DE9-2-B77166395

I loved MD Theme Park. I never had a computer of any kind until the early 2000s so a lot of those ill-fitting and “who would buy this?” console ports were my jam. It’s up there with Premier Manager 97 on MD, DOOM and Sim City on SNES and Civ II and Quake on PS1 imo. Which is intended as a compliment!

I remember renting Theme Park for the MD, and being super excited about it, but was disappointed that you couldn’t really make your own coasters. Then Roller Coaster Tycoon came along a few months after we got our first decent family PC which was everything I wanted from a theme park sim.

One thing I did love was the extending hands mechanic to negotiate a price for something - strange that wasn’t really copied elsewhere because it was such a good visual representation.

Worms was another PC port that was cool to have, but joins the list of games you wouldn’t bother with these days because there are much better versions out there.

8 hours ago, Paulando said:

I remember renting Theme Park for the MD, and being super excited about it, but was disappointed that you couldn’t really make your own coasters. Then Roller Coaster Tycoon came along a few months after we got our first decent family PC which was everything I wanted from a theme park sim.

One thing I did love was the extending hands mechanic to negotiate a price for something - strange that wasn’t really copied elsewhere because it was such a good visual representation.

Worms was another PC port that was cool to have, but joins the list of games you wouldn’t bother with these days because there are much better versions out there.

And then Sega came along with Coaster Works on Dreamcast. lol

On 10/07/2022 at 20:57, electricmastro said:

And then Sega came along with Coaster Works on Dreamcast. lol

I've been hoping the sequel to this (Jet Coaster Dream 2) gets translated at some point.

Also, a teaser of the upcoming three hour Shmup Junkie Mega Drive shooter video (with a couple of rankings I personally agree with):

https://youtu.be/sHaiAcaEdw8