Mega Drive. Yeah!

strider

For the Mega CD I just end up playing final fight every time I fire it up. Then NHL 94 is my second go to. Then sonic cd, but that tends to go on for a level or two at most.

Just steer clear of Sherlock Holmes! Sadly for me that was the game I decided to spend my hard earned cash on as a kid, so I ended up completing it by trial and error, then just watched the fmv until I could afford something new.

Grabbed Keio, it's pretty nice at first glance but haven't put time into it. I'll give Pitfall a shot too, I'm a sucker for those kind of games.

Robo Aleste is the sort-of sequel to Musha, right? Man, Musha is fucking nuts.

Robo / Dennin Aleste left me cold, I have to say. It has none of the majesty of MUSHA in my opinion and has a bizarrely nothing soundtrack.

I guess it's still a recommended Mega CD title because it's a competently made shooter with some interesting frills but if you're a fan of MUSHA I would seriously downgrade any expectations.

I think the devs that worked on the great Compile 8-bit shooters (and MUSHA - the director of which had come over from Tecnosoft) had pretty much left the company and joined the likes of Toaplan by the time Robo Aleste was a thing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/06/2021 at 13:27, New York Mikey said:

Just steer clear of Sherlock Holmes! Sadly for me that was the game I decided to spend my hard earned cash on as a kid, so I ended up completing it by trial and error, then just watched the fmv until I could afford something new.

Same! That game was trash. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing to do with me but thought some people would like to see this, i've never seen a seller with so many MD grails at the same time. I wonder if they are an ex Sega employee?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=234159393823&hash=item3684fccc1f%3Ag%3ARosAAOSwWVFhJ5Cd&_ssn=amieenterprise&_sop=16

That French (blue) mean bean machine and Scandinavian (black box) edition of Eternal Champions i've never seen before 

On 01/08/2021 at 13:31, Death Adder said:

Didn't know there was a Sonic 3 until recently.

Bought it today.

It's only half a game until you attach it to Sonic & Knuckles.

On 29/08/2021 at 20:10, Down by Law said:

Nothing to do with me but thought some people would like to see this, i've never seen a seller with so many MD grails at the same time. I wonder if they are an ex Sega employee?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=234159393823&hash=item3684fccc1f%3Ag%3ARosAAOSwWVFhJ5Cd&_ssn=amieenterprise&_sop=16

That French (blue) mean bean machine and Scandinavian (black box) edition of Eternal Champions i've never seen before 

Some of these games ended. I never thought mega drive would hit Neo Geo prices but here we are. £1300 for death and return of superman and over £1000 for pirates of dark water 

Madness! 

On 29/08/2021 at 20:10, Down by Law said:

I know Glenn and have interviewed him. Amazing collection. He's not ex sega as far as I'm aware. Sad to see him sell up.

45 minutes ago, jdanddiet said:

I know Glenn and have interviewed him. Amazing collection. He's not ex sega as far as I'm aware. Sad to see him sell up.

Thanks for the info. Amazing collection indeed. Also I had Separation Anxiety and the Punisher and sold them a decade ago for about £50 each. Oops. 😅

27 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Thanks for the info. Amazing collection indeed. Also I had Separation Anxiety and the Punisher and sold them a decade ago for about £50 each. Oops. 😅

We've all been there! Some of those ludicrous hit squads I've had as well back in the day. My mum probably gave them to a charity shop lol

5 hours ago, MDY said:

Love this sort of thing..

Someone is attempting to port Symphony of the Night to the Megadrive.. Early days but looks promising.. 

This is much more developed than I thought it would be and legitimately amazing but these exercises in 68000 programming / using SGDK rarely get too far.

Having said that though - the Demons of Asteborg devs managed to get a 15MB / 120 MEGA POWER sized ROM working properly by abusing the 5MB Super Street Fighter II mapper - making a game full of countless detailed assets like SOTN seems like a slightly more technically feasible port, on paper anyway.

In other news the Arkagis dev just released a demo of the new game he's been cooking which is probably well worth a try:

https://www.arkagis.com/escape/

Someone over at the Sega 16 forums is hacking one of my favourite games Ghouls ’n’ Ghosts so it looks more like the arcade.  The original is an early game and didn’t have the option of using a larger rom to replicate the arcade graphics as well as it could have.  It must be a huge task, I really hope he finishes it.

LEFT: original MD game -- CENTER: modified MD game -- RIGHT: original arcade game

AE3BEAA4-BC82-452B-A847-5BC6487A3864.png

F7A5A858-49A5-4543-8ADF-E666AE7E7EE9.png

E08CAB12-78E3-4D33-8314-01D670C83CA4.png

40D6CD5C-47ED-44E8-BADB-F152B72A0BDB.png

77A8E14B-E21A-4B8A-A186-45510B8E61A8.png

Elsewhere in this sub forum I rattled off a quick list of Mega Drive favourites for someone new to the system, and included a game I was high off playing for the first time: Ys III: Wanderers From Ys.

I mention this because tonight I finished it and it's left me feeling..a bit empty and unsatisfied, despite having a great time with it overall and being fully aware of its origins as an early Falcom PC game.

I really enjoyed its linearity and super simple approach to progression (no peeking at a guide required). The music is fantastic and made a lot of sections come alive. The speed of combat is ridiculously fast as autofire is baked in and you can crazed upwards-slash like a special kind of psychopath. 

But it also had more than its fair share of mild jank if I'm honest - tiny things that over the course of the game have potential to grate.

For example, when you die there's a bit of a pause before the continue options display, and the menu action here - just here - is not instant. You can speed it up by pressing a button but the menu frustratingly defaults to 'start from beginning' rather than a save file - so you need to be patient and restrained to avoid annoyance. 

Of course, I lost track of how many times I accidentally restarted the game due to a double button press, and chose to hard reset to get back to my game quicker.

It just kept happening, and I kept groaning 'motherfucker' in an evermore incredulous tone. The combo of that specific menu lag and the game itching to have you restart to watch the unskippable introduction scene is brutal.

The increase in your stats per level gained was also something that didn't sit right.

For example, I spent a good while getting destroyed by one of the last bosses. I kept coming back, trying new tactics, all my items & magic, over and over.. and it was just a bit too much. A little bit unreasonable. Eventually I accepted that I was underpowered and needed to level up (I was already level 11 out of a maximum of 12). So I spent a few minutes grinding nearby and went back into the boss room....to utterly fuck him up within seconds. No strategy required, just a few scrappy jumping downward slashes and it was all over.

It was as if the last gained level of experience tripled my defense and attack stats, instantly transforming this monster into a pathetic joke. 

I get that the game needs you to be maxed out for the final stretch but the stats curve throughout is really steep, rather than the difficulty itself being high (it's not).

There are some seriously beautiful visual touches left for the end and the end sequence itself though, with some unexpectedly brilliant portraits of the main characters. The double edged nature of this though is that it hammers home how little I got to know them, and how functional the plotting was.

It made me think of the end sequence of Musha Aleste which features a portrait of the main protagonist recovering in a hospital ward. The contrast is stark because it's so much more than being rewarded by pretty pictures. It feels like closure, and relatable after the gameplay itself.

Anyway, Ys III is a charming little game with excellent music and more to like that was over far too quickly. 

My advice for a newbie is just bear in mind that this is a mega short, super simple adventure by RPG standards. However as a vintage action platformer in which you'll be doing a lot of jumping and maniacal sword slashing - which stretches out it's length by incorporating a couple of RPG mechanics - it's pretty cool.