Jump to content

Mega Drive. Yeah!


Recommended Posts

Out Run 1 has never been a great game.  And I say that as someone who adores 2/2006.

 

The nearest I've found to an enjoyable one is the 3DS one by M2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bplus said:

Been playing outrun on the megadrive. I've never bothered with the original on any format really. Is this just a shit port or is outrun just not that good?

 

Is there a better version I can play via an emulator? (Don't fancy trying to use a pad on the name/arcade version).

Your best bet is probably the Sega Ages Saturn release via emulation. The Mega Drive port wasn't great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say I'm still really loving Lord Monarch.

 

It has to be one of my favourite games ever at this point, without question. It's utterly dominated my game time ever since I got around to trying it out.

 

I still haven't even finished the main story. Most of the fun has been with the two other 'Challenge' modes - the easier of which I can now access the end sequence of and can confirm it's 52 stages long.

 

It's pretty clever how they bake in so much replay value. Basically, you get graded per map on how much of it you control at the end and also how quickly you won. If you quickly decimate your final opponent without beating (or equalling) your previous map percentage mark the score won't count, so it's never a straight race. And on top of that, there's an overall rank for the entire game mode. Currently I've got a Rank #8 on Normal Challenge Mode and a Rank #10 on Advanced - and obtaining higher ranking certificates really has got me replaying the hundred or so non-story-mode maps again and again. It's taken me months of play to get this good and I'm unashamedly totally invested in trying to get the top certificates now. They're beautiful 'official' Sega Lord Monarch pieces of parchment (presented with suitable audio fanfare) which I really must take a picture of the next time I my overall rank goes up.

 

And revisiting scenes of brutal, bloody battles and literal wars of attrition (of which there may be many before better strategies are devised) has been a trip, especially as I'm a much better player now than I was back when this was all brand new.

 

There were certain maps which had frighteningly powerful monsters to contend with too. But now these ones might be my favourites as being able to construct fencing that can funnel the wandering demons towards aggressive human enemies is so utterly satisfying, and thanks to just the right amount of RNG no map ever plays the same. In fact many are still surprising me and offering a decent challenge after loads of goes.

 

Personally crushing slippery, powerful opponents that massacred your troops when you're out on the field as a King is a joy that hasn't worn thin either, and a certain level of 'emotion' is definitely written into the AI in general; You'll see opponent troops performing hopeless suicide runs at you sat in your castle after a particularly savage mauling. Or defect from their positions as if they've seen too much. Watching that enemy 10,000 troop marker quickly drop down to 1,000 and then vaporise as you push it into a corner in an act of blatant revenge - along with the audible clangs of metal against metal - it's too damn sweet.

 

As an aside it was quite the revelation to discover that this apparantly definitive version of Lord Monarch was the debut project of the dev team that next went on to make Front Mission: Gun Hazard on Super Famicom, a game I've long wanted to sink my teeth into but never got around to doing so. After that they pretty much settled into making the much loved but kinda impenetrable (to me) Culdcept series of games, which seemed to be their true calling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@bplus There’s a port to the Sega Saturn that’s better than the arcade because you can switch it from 30 to 60fps.  I’ve no idea if it can be emulated though.  Then there’s the version on the Dreamcast on Yu Suzuki’s Game Works.  Probably the most interesting is a fan enhancement called Cannonball.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Out Run 1 has never been a great game.  And I say that as someone who adores 2/2006.

 

The nearest I've found to an enjoyable one is the 3DS one by M2.

 

I'm not having that! Outrun was fantastic when it originally released to arcades - I mean the only thing like it you had at the time was Pole Position and Hang On. I appreciate as time has gone on there have been better driving games released, but I still have a big soft spot for the original Outrun.

 

The best version of all is the Japanese Sega Ages release on the Sega Saturn, but the 3DS & Switch version is pretty good too.

 

The best contemporary release was probably the PC Engine version. The Mega Drive one is not especially great, IMO.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

@bplus There’s a port to the Sega Saturn that’s better than the arcade because you can switch it from 30 to 60fps.  I’ve no idea if it can be emulated though.  Then there’s the version on the Dreamcast on Yu Suzuki’s Game Works.  Probably the most interesting is a fan enhancement called Cannonball.

 

 

 

In case anyone wants more info:

https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki/Cannonball-Manual

I'd never heard of this! Looks great. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zio said:

 

I'm not having that! Outrun was fantastic when it originally released to arcades - I mean the only thing like it you had at the time was Pole Position and Hang On. I appreciate as time has gone on there have been better driving games released, but I still have a big soft spot for the original Outrun.

 

The best version of all is the Japanese Sega Ages release on the Sega Saturn, but the 3DS & Switch version is pretty good too.

 

The best contemporary release was probably the PC Engine version. The Mega Drive one is not especially great, IMO.

 

I tried the pc engine version. It does look nice, but I think on par with megadrive. Maybe, or maybe better can't tell!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zio said:

 

I'm not having that! Outrun was fantastic when it originally released to arcades - I mean the only thing like it you had at the time was Pole Position and Hang On. I appreciate as time has gone on there have been better driving games released, but I still have a big soft spot for the original Outrun.

 

The best version of all is the Japanese Sega Ages release on the Sega Saturn, but the 3DS & Switch version is pretty good too.

 

The best contemporary release was probably the PC Engine version. The Mega Drive one is not especially great, IMO.

 


there is simply no way the pc engine version is better than the MD outrun.

 

it’s good, for the console, but it’s one of those often repeated takes in the retro community that just gets thrown around. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played the MD Outrun a fair bit last year, with the colour hack. I never really clicked with Outrun back in the day, although I liked the Outrun-inspired Lotus Turbo Challenge / Jaguar XJS etc. on the Amiga. Oddly enough though, I find those a bit dull to play these days in a way that Outrun isn't.

 

I can't really comment on how good a port it is, but I do think it's a decent game. The controls are tight, the music's great, and it's one of my favourite 5 minute games on the Mega SG. I've completed a few of the routes, but not all of them. I'd recommend changing the controls straight away to get gear shifting off the control pad - I like A shift, B accelerate, C brake - and giving it another try.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dudley what have you done. Out Run is the definition of a classic, one of the most important and beloved games of all time. I loved it to death and made sure it was one of the first SMS games I owned. 

 

By the time it arrived on the Mega Drive it had lost some of it's lustre though, and I've never really played that version back then or even since.

 

I believe technically the 3DS port is arcade superior, with a few bug and timing fixes that eluded the Saturn version. The loss of the Ferrari Testarossa does hurt the nostalgia factor a bit though. And I'm not sure what's off about the Dreamcast version but it somehow doesn't feel as good to play as the Saturn one.

 

Super Hang On is the better game in all respects IMO and it sucks that there was never a perfect home console port of it. I don't think it's ever been bettered and I go back to it all the time on 3DS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

@Dudley what have you done. Out Run is the definition of a classic, one of the most important and beloved games of all time. I loved it to death and made sure it was one of the first SMS games I owned. 


It’s a fucking outrage, is what it is! Imagine going around through life with opinions like that!

 

(Just kidding @Dudley! I’m personally loving your YouTube stuff too, so keep up the good work!)

 

Weirdly, the PAL Saturn release of Outun on the Sega Ages disc (with Space Harrier and After Burner) is broken in some odd ways. The Japanese release is the one to have, with the optional 60 FPS mode and remixed soundtrack.

 

Also, if I’m honest, it’s only having the proper arcade Testarossa that makes the Saturn version king for me. The 3DS and Switch releases are really good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

@bplus There’s a port to the Sega Saturn that’s better than the arcade because you can switch it from 30 to 60fps.  I’ve no idea if it can be emulated though.  Then there’s the version on the Dreamcast on Yu Suzuki’s Game Works.  Probably the most interesting is a fan enhancement called Cannonball.

 

 

 

Been playing this tonight, really is good.

Are there other games that have been updated like this?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bplus said:

Been playing this tonight, really is good.

Are there other games that have been updated like this?

 


I can’t think of any others that have had the same treatment.  It just goes to show how much love Outrun gets.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bplus said:

Been playing this tonight, really is good.

Are there other games that have been updated like this?

 

I'm not really in the know with this stuff but I'm sure recently someone did a colour correction pass on SF2' or SSF2X on the MD....I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Outrun isn’t as good as top gear (also known as Top Racer) by kemco. I really don’t know what Sega was thinking with the Megadrive port. 

 

Well the key there is Top Gear isn't by Kemco, it's by Gremlin/Magnetic Fields.  Because they're the Lotus games doing cosplay.

 

So of course they're excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Outrun isn’t as good as top gear (also known as Top Racer) by kemco. I really don’t know what Sega was thinking with the Megadrive port. 


i dont know what you are thinking, are we actually playing the same game?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my daughter staying with me this week and she was all, "can we play Snow Bros? I've really missed Snow Bros!", so we've been playing that. Reading up on the game, I didn't realise the Mega Drive version has 

 

Spoiler

an extra 20 levels in which you play as the princesses rescuing the Snow Bros

 

so I'm going to have to try and help her get that far into it (or just look up some codes :D)

 

I've also been playing Devil's Crash/Crush/Dragon's Fury because I find it hard to power up the Mega Drive without giving it a go or six. 

 

Any fans of Battle Mania Daiginjou here? I've been playing a little of that too, although I think I need to spend some time messing around with the control options. Didn't realise the first game saw a US release.

 

EDIT: Mega Drive collecting is just out of control now isn't it? £800 for a boxed Battle Mania 2. Reproductions are out of control too. £8 for a dodgy fake one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Daiginjou is one of the best shmups on the system imo.  A bit easy, maybe, but it's such a huge improvement over the first one - constantly inventive stages, better boss battles, an endearingly bonkers premise, and lots of bangers.

 

 

Coolest protags in the business, too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The postman delivered Virtua Racing this morning.

Now I know it’s a flawed conversion, but I rather like it. It doesn’t feel like it’s running at 15fps, if feels quite smooth and handles far better than the Saturn version.

The poor draw distance and low resolution make navigating the tracks quite tricky, I keep rear-ending slower cars! However there’s something about this port that’s cool. The humble little Megadrive punching well above its weight with the help of the SVP chip. Good times!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

The postman delivered Virtua Racing this morning.

Now I know it’s a flawed conversion, but I rather like it. It doesn’t feel like it’s running at 15fps, if feels quite smooth and handles far better than the Saturn version.

The poor draw distance and low resolution make navigating the tracks quite tricky, I keep rear-ending slower cars! However there’s something about this port that’s cool. The humble little Megadrive punching well above its weight with the help of the SVP chip. Good times!

 

It was way better than any super FX game I played. 11 year old me tried to like Star fox and stunt race FX, especially since nms gave them both 702 percent each or something. But they were slow and boring. I rented virtua racing so many times from the local video short. It looked arcade perfect to my brain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 19:54, bplus said:

It was way better than any super FX game I played. 11 year old me tried to like Star fox and stunt race FX, especially since nms gave them both 702 percent each or something. But they were slow and boring. I rented virtua racing so many times from the local video short. It looked arcade perfect to my brain.

Same here. I remember following the Virtua Racing port closely when it was announced and scrutinising the first screenshots in the Official Sega Magazine. I used to play the arcade machine in Birmingham City Centre and to me at the time it looked like a decent facsimile of the arcade. Graphics were vastly watered down but it captured the spirit if its big brother. Shame they didn't do more SVP games, would have liked to have seen Virtua Fighter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2021 at 12:37, Mr Tony said:

Turns out SEGA made a bunch of official wireless phone chargers based on their old consoles.

 

I had to get the mega drive.

 

47395925-654A-44C3-AE19-5815D1BA8D62.jpeg

 

5B630294-1BDE-4678-AD46-4BFE1FA89080.jpeg

The Japanese or Asian megadrives look so much better!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Any interest in any of the following before I post in the trading folder/facebook?

All boxed (some with manuals)

 

Eternal Champions

Ariel Little Mermaid

Taz-Mania

Sonic Spinball

Taz Escape from Mars

Micro Machines

Total Football

Micro Machines 96

Sonic Compilation (Sonic 1/2 & Mean Bean)

Micro Machines 2

 

And the following JAP Games

Shining Force 1

Shining Force 2

Wonder Boy 3

Quackshot

Columns 3

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gospvg said:

Any interest in any of the following before I post in the trading folder/facebook?

All boxed (some with manuals)

 

Eternal Champions

Ariel Little Mermaid

Taz-Mania

Sonic Spinball

Taz Escape from Mars

Micro Machines

Total Football

Micro Machines 96

Sonic Compilation (Sonic 1/2 & Mean Bean)

Micro Machines 2

 

And the following JAP Games

Shining Force 1

Shining Force 2

Wonder Boy 3

Quackshot

Columns 3

 


yeah. Sonic spinball if it’s still going?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.