rllmuk
strider

Mega Drive. Yeah!

Oh man, Mega Turrican, Hard Corps, Bloodlines and Battle Mania: I'm properly jealous.

Can't believe you got rid of Aero Blasters, though! Probably my favourite shooter on the system for a quick blast.

I just couldn't get into Aero Blasters, maybe its because i bought it just after Thunderforce 4 (my favourite megadrive shooter)

The others games you mentioned were all difficult to find at decent price, i think it took me about a year to get them as i didn't want to overspend.

Maybe things have changed now, i haven't looked in a while.

Fixed the screen problem mostly by, surprisingly, turning game mode off. Everything fine in Movie mode but not anything else, for some reason. I say mostly as the only minor crap now is the screen can't stay centre so moves one pixel to the right and one pixel to the left depending on the game, as if it's dancing. Isn't hardly as annoying as the other thing was, though. I'm happy.

The collection that came with the console is making me play games I didn't play the first time around. Tempting to write reviews as I go. Jewel Master is surprisingly hardcore for a SEGA developed title. As in 'die on the first boss for an hour and give up' hard. I'll try again later.

6button pad doesn't feel 'that' fluid on SF2 Champ Edition. Fireballs not coming out as easily as I'd want, but it might be just because I've grown so used to using an arcade stick for the last 4 years to pull off combos in SF4? Or maybe i shouldn't have put the game on +8 speed because it probably means i also need to input commands x8 as fast. What does the mode button do exactly?

Another inane difference in the box department. The Sonic & Knuckles that arrived has the manual displayed differently from the one from my childhood (the one thing I kept originally). Still 4-5 languages like mine is or whatever. Does this mean that, gasp, SEGA fiddled about with manual designs/the content inside across the lifespan of selling a game? I'll find/post my own pictures of the manuals later.

Thinking about storing the controller/s every time the console isn't in use, but fearing it might hurt the controller pins in the MD in the long run. I'd forgotten how tangly controller cables just lying there can be.

We definitely need to see how Camel stores his 240 collection. :)

The mode button, if held down when the console boots, makes it treat the pad as a 3-button pad - it's for a handful of games that glitch if the six-button pad is plugged in, but I must admit I've never needed to use it.

There are also a few games which have easter eggs tied to the mode button - look them up!

• Upvote 1

There's one other thing to consider, and that's lag - modern games are designed to take into account the 20-50ms lag that is normal for an HDTV - Mega Drive games expect a lag-free CRT; that means that the slight delay brought on by the TV* can make controls that little bit less responsive, particularly noticeable with games like Street Fighter and shoot em ups. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that short of getting a CRT (or shelling out on a particularly responsive LCD TV).

*particularly when running in a laggy picture mode such as Movie mode

You might want to take that joypad apart and clean all the buttons/membranes etc

Its not difficult and can really help if it gunged up.

arrived very very clean, though maybe stuff underneath. Looks like it was never used basically.

Haven't noticed lag on other titles so assumed it's not that (especially on something like sonic), but it could be I guess. I'll test modes.

Edit: The thought of a heavy beast CRT scares me...and are they not all on a lifeline anyway? That bulb inside is going to blow eventually, etc.

Yeah, CRTs will all have limited lifespans - though they are longer lasting than HDTVs in the first place, so I would expect the later models to have a good bit of life in them yet. They are massive, and heavy, though, now that we're used to LCD/Plasma screens. But ridiculously cheap, as you've already seen. If you don't want to pay postage/want to see before you buy, large charity shops are a good source for them (BHF furniture stores, for example). The main issue is: do you have the space?

You'd think some manufacturer, niche as retro gamers as ourselves would be as a market, would make new CRT's.

I say that from a 'best of both worlds' standpoint, connections on the back, long life new warranty/new product and whatnot.

The space is there (sort of!), it's just that it feels a bit 'much'/a step too far for the hobby. I can already get a CRT effect if I really really wanted to via KEGA emulator. So lugging a huge screen for the same thing on the couch is...you get my point.

I certainly regret letting go my working late 80's 10-12in CRT now though. Replaced it with the above mentioned samsung. It should have laid dormant until this time in the corner somewhere. I don't think it had any connections besides RF though.

Ah, but that response rate...

(I don't have a CRT, because lack of space and the fact I like to have all my consoles, old and new, in the same place. But I can see the appeal)

And need a lot of connections - hence the Pioneer in my case, which combined with a screen which already has three other HDMI, one D-SUB, an RGB SCART and a component input, means I can have 7 HDMI, 2 component, 2 SCART and 1 VGA sources - means I can have a dedicated blu-ray player, PS3, 360, Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox, Mega Drive (+ Master System converter), Saturn and all plugged into their optimal sources (HDMI, HDMI, HDMI, VGA, Component, Component, SCART, SCART, respectively) and still have space for another four HDMI sources.

It's just as well the SNES sucks for RGB output, or I might be worried about having run out of SCART. That can live on shitty composite if I ever get one ;)

• Upvote 1

And need a lot of connections - hence the Pioneer in my case, which combined with a screen which already has three other HDMI, one D-SUB, an RGB SCART and a component input, means I can have 7 HDMI, 2 component, 2 SCART and 1 VGA sources - means I can have a dedicated blu-ray player, PS3, 360, Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox, Mega Drive (+ Master System converter), Saturn and all plugged into their optimal sources (HDMI, HDMI, HDMI, VGA, Component, Component, SCART, SCART, respectively) and still have space for another four HDMI sources.

It's just as well the SNES sucks for RGB output, or I might be worried about having run out of SCART. That can live on shitty composite if I ever get one ;)

I won't tell you about then about the rgb mod for the snes jr that gives a pin sharp picture, oops, too late.

Ehh, sounds like too much work for a console that only has a couple of exclusives I actually care about :P

Fair enough :)

I'm quite a big snes fan and i bought a snes jr when i was in the states in 1999

I got it home and discovered it only had composite so it was consigned to my loft until my good friend Yod@ disabled the security chip and rgb modded it.

The rgb is as good as the Megadrives now which is amazing considering how bad the standard snes's is.

I miss Yod@ :(

I will one day get an import SNES just so I can enjoy the four games that I'd love to own (Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Smash Tennis, F-Zero) at proper speeds. Doubt I'll go for a hacked Jr, though, just because of the cost!

I have a Sony mid 00s CRT (I think it's a Wega) but it only has RF, composite and component inputs :( What's the best way to hook up a Mega Drive (HIGH DEFINITION MODEL 1) to it?

There isn't really an ideal, there - composite is marginally better than RF (and doesn't need tuning); however, your best bet would be an RGB SCART to component adapter - I'm afraid I've never actually had to use one, so can't advise what specific types would be worthwhile, though.

There isn't really an ideal, there - composite is marginally better than RF (and doesn't need tuning); however, your best bet would be an RGB SCART to component adapter - I'm afraid I've never actually had to use one, so can't advise what specific types would be worthwhile, though.

I knew there wouldn't be a SCART socket but I'm a bit disappointed there's no S-Video.

How much do those SCART to component adapters go for?

As I say, I've not ever used them myself - however, looking at recommendations elsewhere it looks like you'd be paying something like £40-£60 for a decent adapter. Not cheap :(

I miss Yod@ :(

I will one day get an import SNES just so I can enjoy the four games that I'd love to own (Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Smash Tennis, F-Zero) at proper speeds. Doubt I'll go for a hacked Jr, though, just because of the cost!

I'll pass your regards to him next time i see him.

Thats a heck of a collection, were you trying to get a full set or did it just work out that way?

Is there a list somewhere for me to know exactly which games are cross-compatible with the UK Pal model? Would be much appreciated.

I'd love some Puyo Puyo 1 and 2

I'm pretty sure Puyo Puyo 1 is not region locked (no idea about 2, but I'd expect it not to be either as it's quite rare, even in the later titles; anything pre-1993 is definitely not locked), I'll check and let you know. Edit: in fact, Puyo Puyo is a 1991 release, so definitely not locked.

However, Japanese carts won't fit in a EU Mega Drive (or a Genesis) without modding the cart slot first (or a third-party adapter).

But what you should really do is mod your Mega Drive like we keep saying so that you can play the games at full speed without borders ;)

Probably easier to find a list of games that have a region lock, as I guess they're in the minority. I think of all the games I have only a literal handful don't work on a PAL system. If you want (and if I have the game) I can check specific ones for you Neg