Mega Drive. Yeah!

strider

On 01/03/2021 at 14:06, spanky debrest said:

I recently '100%'d' the OG Wonder Boy and found it a thrill, quite honestly. A worthy response to Super Mario Bros as any.

As far as Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair goes I think it's probably the weakest entry regardless of version..but seeing how the Mega Drive port might have the most exquisite sounding FM snare drums in the entire catalogue of official games my criticism can only go so far.

Is there a megadrive version of the first wonder boy? I'd like to give it a go.

37 minutes ago, bplus said:

Is there a megadrive version of the first wonder boy? I'd like to give it a go.

Nope, just SMS. The SMS port (Super Wonder Boy in Japan) is fairly definitive though, adding extra stuff on top of the arcade game, and it was the proper parent of all the spin-offs (e.g. Adventure Island). The only real downside is the lack of diversity in the music.

Backwards compatability has you covered if you're using a flashcart, if not then I'd imagine it's a pretty common SMS cart if you have a power base converter equivalent. There's also a Game Gear port, bizarrely retitled Revenge of Drancon in some regions, but it has the usual cropped screen issues.

5 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Nope, just SMS. The SMS port (Super Wonder Boy in Japan) is fairly definitive though, adding extra stuff on top of the arcade game, and it was the proper parent of all the spin-offs (e.g. Adventure Island). The only real downside is the lack of diversity in the music.

Backwards compatability has you covered if you're using a flashcart, if not then I'd imagine it's a pretty common SMS cart if you have a power base converter equivalent. There's also a Game Gear port, bizarrely retitled Revenge of Drancon in some regions, but it has the usual cropped screen issues.

Have a megadrive and everdrive, those these days I just use retro arch due to faff.

I'm gonna play sms port tonight!

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Have a megadrive and everdrive, those these days I just use retro arch due to faff.

I'm gonna play sms port tonight!

I love the OG SMS Wonder Boy.

One thing that surprised me about it after the years away from it was the high quality of the level design over its forty stages; it keeps you on your toes throughout and throws in some cool one-off backgrounds and hazards too (such as active volcanoes which I could have sworn was a whole world of pain but actually only feature on one stage).

@Alexlotl's appraisal is bang on but personally I don't find the music a downer. There are about 7 or 8 tunes you'll hear as you play (way in excess of most games of the time) but it's the overly jaunty, almost taunting initial melody of the main song that seems to get under people's skin - similarly to how the Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story main themes do. 

There's a fine line between earworm and earhell (especially when a tough game seems to be literally laughing at you when you lose a life) and I can appreciate that.

Together at last.

spacer.png

The best port ever is perhaps now the definitive version of the game, since it features the Old, New and Extra revisions from the arcade (the latter creating significantly different score-play), as well as the option to choose between having the standard 11 bosses from the arcade versions populating the stages, or the full 26 from Super Darius on the PCE CD (where every zone has a unique boss). The Boss Rush mode from the MD Mini version is still here, pretty much supplanting Alpha, and the options screen offers robust autofire options, allowing you to set the firing rate as in the Cozmic ports. It's an enormously generous game in multiple senses - I still can't believe it exists.

(It's also an absolute demon - by far the most aggressive and manic iteration, but refreshingly so.)

I only have this and the Mad Stalker one, but they're both alright! The case is as sturdy as an original one, the manual is printed well (though it's slightly thin and papery), and the cart has pretty much the same form factor as a genuine Japanese one, and feels solid. The only problem I've heard about is that the PCB around the connecting pins has a square edge to it, which can apparently damage your console if you're not careful. I've just been gentle with it and haven't noticed any unusual resistance...

I understand the audio is much improved in Darius Extra too - better use of FM, PSG and PCM..and superior stereo separation too. Very very cool indeed. Truly the version it was meant to be.

As far a Columbus Circle's insistence on using unbeveled PCBs - in this case only it might not be the worst idea to carefully use some sandpaper and make the edges less dangerous for the cart slot. 

I know this might sound like terrible advice - and I don't want to sound alarmist or take any shine off the obviously outstanding new Mega Drive game you've got - but this issue is precisely why some people chose to wait a bit and order the Strictly Limited version.

Cheers! I've never paid much attention to the PCB shapes or sizes in carts, but I'm guessing I'd only have to take off 1mm from each corner, if that? My other Japanese MD carts don't look significantly different, just less sharp! :)

I'll probably end up grabbing an SLG copy too, even though I viscerally loathe the naff branding they slap so conspicuously on everything. (BTW, in case anyone was waiting for their version of the Cozmic Revelation LE, the art book in the Japanese version is already in English!)

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

I viscerally loathe the naff branding they slap so conspicuously on everything.

Indeed. I'm probably going to get the SLG release as it's a bit less expensive but their branding is really putting me off. The Jp release looks lush.

Yeah it is pretty expensive. I used this proxy site called Blackship to get it delivered to me at a decent price (about £15) with no customs charges etc, but I guess the SLG one is still going to come in at about £20 less overall.

The version I got from the BEEP shop comes with an alternate Jun Suemi cover (as well as the one above), if that swings it for anyone...

https://www.beep-shop.com/ec/products/detail/5587

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this for sale on a Facebook group.  Apparently £3k is a great price for this game.  Tons were sold in the US but the PAL version had a very limited run of less than 200 copies.  Not sure if it was pulled due to licensing issues.  It seems crazy to spend that much for a Megadrive rather than Genesis logo for what is an average game.

DD3863B0-3B3F-47B6-8A68-C8EF9102D17D.jpeg

And given that, like many EA carts the cart itself says Genesis regardless (check your Lotus or Road Rash 2s from instance) then the difference here is a sleeve.

How confident are you given that it costs about a fiver to do a perfect sleeve no-one would ever know the difference with, that this copy isn't a US copy with a new sleeve?

Inlay does have water damage?  Nice way to make it look older than it is...

1958291244_2021-03-2011_15_29.jpg

2021-03-20 11.16.01.jpg

On 20/03/2021 at 10:47, Mr Monday said:

Saw this for sale on a Facebook group.  Apparently £3k is a great price for this game.  Tons were sold in the US but the PAL version had a very limited run of less than 200 copies.  Not sure if it was pulled due to licensing issues.  It seems crazy to spend that much for a Megadrive rather than Genesis logo for what is an average game.

This is the exact reason why there’s no point in going for full sets IMO.

11 minutes ago, Goemon said:

This is the exact reason why there’s no point in going for full sets IMO.

Agreed.  Although there was some debate about whether this should be included in the full set if it didn’t get a proper release in Europe.  I’ve always been more into the Japanese releases and I’m surprised how much some people are willing to spend on PAL games.  The Japanese box art is usually 10x better.

Yeah, over on Master System my rules are I want all the UK released games, not a UK set.

So in that case I'd be very happy to just pick up a Genesis copy and call it done.

It's funny/jarring how the most unprecedented, nonsense prices with game collecting continue to shift from actual rarities and reconsidered good'uns to dirt-common megahits like SMB3, or totally throwaway titles like this, that just happen to command a lot of brand recognition, loyalty and nostalgia, etc...

3 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

Agreed.  Although there was some debate about whether this should be included in the full set if it didn’t get a proper release in Europe.

Considering the single most expensive Master System title (by a long chalk) is literally a PAL copy of Sonic The Hedgehog with a US barcode sticker added, this seems legit. At least it actually has unique box art!

Full-set collection is madness, but all collecting is a little bit mad; this is just the extreme end of the spectrum.

Its an utterly shit game as well. 

I almost chose it for a birthday present when it was a new release but went for EA Hockey instead. No regrets. Well, some regrets as I still have that copy of EA Hockey so I'd probably still have this and could sell it for three thousand pounds apparently. 

17 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Considering the single most expensive Master System title (by a long chalk) is literally a PAL copy of Sonic The Hedgehog with a US barcode sticker added, this seems legit. At least it actually has unique box art!

Actually there's a few that go for more.  In US copies you'll get more for James Buster Douglas boxing.

But that's still a great example because that's a mild reskin of Heavyweight Champ, a game in the very lowest tier of super common in the UK.

On 20/03/2021 at 10:47, Mr Monday said:

Christ, I'm pretty certain I rented this from a video shop in Belfast.

Been playing outrun on the megadrive. I've never bothered with the original on any format really. Is this just a shit port or is outrun just not that good?

Is there a better version I can play via an emulator? (Don't fancy trying to use a pad on the name/arcade version).

11 minutes ago, bplus said:

Been playing outrun on the megadrive. I've never bothered with the original on any format really. Is this just a shit port or is outrun just not that good?

Is there a better version I can play via an emulator? (Don't fancy trying to use a pad on the name/arcade version).

Your best bet is probably the Sega Ages Saturn release via emulation. The Mega Drive port wasn't great.