Mega Drive. Yeah!

@Anne Summers

The Mega Everdrive Pro is the latest in Krikzz's line of flashcarts that allow the playing of ROMs on real hardware.

Key features of this one are in-built Mega CD support (it contains CD hardware in the form of an FPGA core, allowing CD images to be run from the cartridge and without any real CD hardware), fully customisable menus, support for custom mappers (so far this resulted in someone writing a tool which allows for video streaming quality which far exceeds anything achievable on real CD or 32X hardware, "Megacolor" - full screen, 30fps, 512 simultaneous colours), Sega Master System FM audio support (thanks to another FPGA core which replicates the function of the Yamaha YM2413 FM audio chip used as optional expansion audio for Sega Mark III and Japanese Master System consoles)..and other stuff like auto-patching, cheat code support, native support for all save types..pretty much everything useful anyone might want.

Its basically the best Mega Drive flashcart available (does *almost* everything Terraonion's Mega SD flashcart  does in a regular cart size and for cheaper) and is spurring the development of lots of cool stuff to play with.

I'm telling myself I don't need to upgrade from my perfectly adequate mid-range X5 model (which is used in tandem with a real Mega CD) but absolutely everyone who does says it's worth every god dammed penny to do so. 

31 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I'm telling myself I don't need to upgrade from my perfectly adequate mid-range X5 model

I upgraded from an X5 :) 

This one supports Virtua Racing as well 

21 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Perfect example of what I'm looking for, I seem to remember the MD version is quite a decent game too, unlike the home computer versions.

It’s an odd game now, in the circumstances. 

36 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

@Anne Summers

The Mega Everdrive Pro is the latest in Krikzz's line of flashcarts that allow the playing of ROMs on real hardware.

Key features of this one are in-built Mega CD support (it contains CD hardware in the form of an FPGA core, allowing CD images to be run from the cartridge and without any real CD hardware), fully customisable menus, support for custom mappers (so far this resulted in someone writing a tool which allows for video streaming quality which far exceeds anything achievable on real CD or 32X hardware, "Megacolor" - full screen, 30fps, 512 simultaneous colours), Sega Master System FM audio support (thanks to another FPGA core which replicates the function of the Yamaha YM2413 FM audio chip used as optional expansion audio for Sega Mark III and Japanese Master System consoles)..and other stuff like auto-patching, cheat code support, native support for all save types..pretty much everything useful anyone might want.

Its basically the best Mega Drive flashcart available (does *almost* everything Terraonion's Mega SD flashcart  does in a regular cart size and for cheaper) and is spurring the development of lots of cool stuff to play with.

I'm telling myself I don't need to upgrade from my perfectly adequate mid-range X5 model (which is used in tandem with a real Mega CD) but absolutely everyone who does says it's worth every god dammed penny to do so. 

how does this work with the Mega Sg?

really interested in this (until analogue release the add on) 

8 minutes ago, Nick_L said:

I upgraded from an X5 :) 

This one supports Virtua Racing as well 

Yeah I forgot about that - I believe it uses the same Sega SVP FPGA core originally developed for use on the MiSTer platform.

It's such powerful hardware developers are adding new functionality all the time.

I also forgot about its bonus NES core which currently only supports basic (non-special mapper) NES/FC games but will likely get updated.

12 minutes ago, ulala said:

how does this work with the Mega Sg?

really interested in this (until analogue release the add on) 

I believe it integrates perfectly with the Mega SG as I'm sure @Nick_L will be able to testify to once he's put it through its paces.

These will be probably be available with a 20% discount soon (Krikzz's Black Friday sales are around the corner).

I swear I don't receive any kickback for these posts, by the way. I'm just a huge fan of these devices for my Mega Drive and almost bought a Mega SD before discovering that the Mega CD unit I'd had in storage for 20 years functions perfectly.

Seems to work great with the Mega SG so far. I'm using the "Sega Cd Redump Set" (that if there was some internet archive as such, maybe an org, a search there might have some results <_<) and everything is working so far.

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Looks awesome I'm definitely getting one. 

(Looks at price on Amazon).

Oh.

£170?

id be interested if I were not convinced that analogue will release a Mega cd add on next after the duo 

9 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Looks awesome I'm definitely getting one. 

(Looks at price on Amazon).

Oh.

Yeah it's double the price of an X5 but still less than a Mega SD (and also available via proper distribution channels i.e. import tax free).

£180 from retrotowers (official Krikzz distributors do usually also do the 20% off Black Friday thing too - this might be who I end up going with if I crack)

https://www.retrotowers.co.uk/mega-everdrive-pro

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I want to play MegaCD games, but I think I'd rather go down the route of getting an actual unit at some point. Does the MegaCD play copied discs or is there protection on them? 

no protection, burn away. 

the idea of burning your own at home I guess wasn’t thought about back then 

I love my Mega CD. It 'completes' the Mega Drive and looks especially awesome when running, with its LEDs and zero additional footprint..

..But you can't run CD images (or extra large ROM files) from these high end flashcarts with a CD unit attached, so it'd need retiring if I did upgrade to a ME-Pro.

I have a huge amount of nostalgia for the Mega CD, but my own console died some time ago. I've definitely got my sights on getting the Mega Everdrive Pro at some point - I currently have the X7 and it's absolutely fantastic as it is (Virtua Racing and Master System FM sound are supported on that one), but having the CD support would be the absolute icing on the cake.

Naturally the Mega CD has the only English version of Snatcher and a port of Final Fight that's substantially better than what came out on the SNES, but I personally have a huge soft spot for the port of Dune on there and... Sewer Shark. God knows why, it's an objectively bad game, but I've always loved it!

11 hours ago, ulala said:

£170?

id be interested if I were not convinced that analogue will release a Mega cd add on next after the duo 

Is there any evidence at all to this? Are you wanting to run physical CD’s? 

I’ve owned the Terraonion Mega SD for a good while now. I love the Krikzz Everdrives in general and I’m sure the Pro is just as good (well I know so going by trusted reviews). The Mega SD is an amazing Flash cart, and having Mega CD support just opens up the library 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Is there any evidence at all to this? Are you wanting to run physical CD’s? 

I’ve owned the Terraonion Mega SD for a good while now. I love the Krikzz Everdrives in general and I’m sure the Pro is just as good (well I know so going by trusted reviews). The Mega SD is an amazing Flash cart, and having Mega CD support just opens up the library 

No evidence, but after the announcement of the cd Duo, I think Analogue would naturally do a CD add on for the Mega SG. Its a prediction. 

I love the analogue products, as they allow me to play my original games. A CD fpga based add on to the mega SG would be perfect for this. 

If they don't release one, then the Everdrive Pro looks like a good plan b

@Nick_L

Nice pics of your ED.

I've just ordered myself a Mega Everdrive PRO yesterday! :D

So you're just using pre-existing dumps of MCD games? I ripped all of mine years ago, for use NeoGenesis on my original Xbox, but to save space set them up as ISO, MP3, CUE lots. I've read MEDP doesn't support alt audio formats, so am thinking... Do I now need to take all my folders, reburn them onto a CDRW, then re-rip them again as pure BIN/CUE?

Any other thoughts on the MEDP? I'll be using mine with a modded MD. I take it that SMS games use the start button on the MD controller? The MegaSD cartridge required you to actually push a button on the cart itself to use the SMS start button, which I thought was ridiculous.

39 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@Nick_L

I take it that SMS games use the start button on the MD controller? The MegaSD cartridge required you to actually push a button on the cart itself to use the SMS start button, which I thought was ridiculous.

MD Flashcarts need to have a separate physical button for the SMS's hardware pause function because that's how Master System hardware is. There's no getting around that as far as SMS on real Mega Drives go.

There are however patches that exist for some SMS games that enable them to recognise & read MD controllers, and about 8 SMS games outright won't be playable on real MD hardware (using MD controllers) without specific MD controller compatibility patches (I can upload these if anyone is interested).

The only solution out there which reroutes the SMS pause button to the Mega Drive controller's Start button is baked into Analogue's Mega SG clone console.

34 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Any other thoughts on the MEDP? I'll be using mine with a modded MD. I take it that SMS games use the start button on the MD controller? The MegaSD cartridge required you to actually push a button on the cart itself to use the SMS start button, which I thought was ridiculous.

I suspect it'll be the same - the SMS is running in hardware on the Mega Drive, and it had no controller port wiring for a pause button. Bear in mind even the old Power Base Converter had a hardware pause button!

The Mega SG can do it because it abstracts the controller ports away from the underlying system, so it can map the Start button to the hardware pause line in hardware. This is also why it can happily use MD pads for the few SMS games that are normally incompatible with them, like Wonderboy in Monster Land. It's a bit of a sod getting the Mark III Sega Paddle Controller to work though, as you have to turn off all the abstraction.

I've just seen these have save-state support for SMS, which alongside Sega CD support is a killer app for me, provided it works for the Mega SG. I might upgrade my Mega Everdrive X7 in the Black Friday sale.

21 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

I've just seen these have save-state support for SMS, which alongside Sega CD support is a killer app for me, provided it works for the Mega SG. I might upgrade my Mega Everdrive X7 in the Black Friday sale.

Just remember you will be stung by customs if you go that way.

Yeah my everdrives were bought directly from Krikzz - with the explicit reassurance from him that they wouldn't garner import duties - and they didn't.

Back then he was able to ship out from within the EU though, so UK costumers didn't need to be concerned about it. Today he sells via authorised dealers but continues to handle repairs etc via his site.

Spent a good few hours messing around with this last night, there isn't anything I've come across that doesn't work. The intro video to Double Switch was a bit choppy (that could easily be the image I'm using) but in-game was fine. 

Let me know if you want to see anything specific, but really happy with it so far.